Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Riddle me this
Harry and Ginny > Make Yourself At Home > Procrastination Station
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
Jerry
Correct, Mother to the Boards! notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

Your go smile.gif
hershey
There are 16 books of the Bible in the following paragraph...can you find them?

I once made a remark about the hidden books of the Bible. It was a lulu; kept people looking so hard for facts and for others it was a revelation. Some were in a jam especially since the names of the books were not capitalized, but the truth finally struck home to
numbers of readers. To others, it was a real job. We want it to be a most fascinating few moments for you. Yes there will be some really easy ones to spot. Others may require judges to help them. I will quickly admit it usually takes a minister to find one of them, and there will be loud lamentations when it is found. A little lady says she brews a cup of tea so she can concentrate better. See how well you can compete.

Relax now for there really are sixteen names of the books in the Bible in this story. List them.

Jerry
I found Mark, Lamentations, Acts, Ruth, Numbers, Job, Judges, Hebrews, Revelation, and Kings, but no more. wallbash.gif

hershey
There are 16, keep looking. fing34.gif
Jerry
Okay, I've found Peter, James, Esther, and Luke. cool.gif .

Only two more (unless there's a play on words somewhere and it's really less devil.gif tongue.gif )

I practically know this paragraph by heart now, from the multiple readings biggrin.gif

I found Amos! Now only one more left dry.gif
QuickHare
In order of appearance in the Bible:

OT (9): Numbers, Judges, Ruth, Kings, Kings , Esther, Job, Lamentations, Amos
NT (7): Mark, Luke, Acts, Titus, Hebrews, James, Revelation

Total: 16 as req'd.

I write Kings twice as Kings appears as 1 Kings and 2 Kings, so that's two books? If that's wrong, I can only find 15.
Jerry
Oh, the one I didn't see was 'Titus'. biggrin.gif

There's a 'Peter' in there, QH, so I think between me and you we've solved the riddle. I guess it's up to Hershey to decide which one of us should go. biggrin.gif
hershey
Hey J & QH,

Since you came to the right answer together I will leave it to you two to decide who leaves the next riddle. Well done you two. For those who care here is the passage with the answers highlighted.

I once made a remark about the hidden books of the Bible. It was a lu lu; kept people looking so hard for facts and for others it was a revelation. Some were in a jam especially since the names of the books were not capitalized, but the truth finally struck home to numbers of readers. To others, it was a real job. We want it to be a most fascinating few moments for you. Yes there will be some really easy ones to spot. Others may require judges to help them. I will quickly admit it usually takes a minister to find one of them, and there will be loud lamentations when it is found. A little lady says she brews a cup of tea so she can concentrate better. See how well you can compete. Relax now for there really are sixteen names of the books in the Bible in this story.

~H~
Jerry
Okay, since QuickHare was kind enough to allow me to the ask the next riddle, here it is:

After a long walk in the desert, you come across 2 doors with speaking abilities. One of the doors guards the entrance to the City of Truthfulness, while the other door guards the entrance to City of Lies. You have no clue which door guards which entrance. You have the right to ask one, and only one question to deduce which door is which. The door guarding the entrance to the City of Truthfulness always speaks nothing but the truth. On the same note, the door guarding the City of Lies always speaks nothing but lies. If you wish to enter the City of Truthfulness, what question would you ask to figure out which door leads to the City of Truthfulness?

Good Luck! smile.gif

p.s. It took me 15 minutes to figure this one out biggrin.gif
nome
Well, I don't know if you want any really obvious answers but I would just hold something up, like my watch, and ask: "What's this?"
Jerry
Excellent try Nome, but nope, it's not the answer.

To be a bit more specific (in other words, to give clues biggrin.gif ) :

You must ask a question regarding the doors/cities
It may help to ask a question that involves both doors... wink.gif

Good Luck smile.gif
nome
"Do you and that other door lead into the cities of truthfulness and lies?"
Jerry
Close. Very close. The problem with this sentence (in the door's frame of thought, of course,) is that it would be too ambiguous. I don't want to say anything more, in case I'll give it away. If it becomes too hard, I'll give it to the person who was the closest to the answer. wink.gif
Tim
Would you ask one of the doors, which door the other door would say leads to truthfulness? I think it's right but the logic is somewhat confusing.
QuickHare
This question has been posed in many forms, and this is the first I've seen in this form. The answer is something like...

Talking to one door: "If I asked the other door if he leads to the City of Truthfullness, would he say Yes or No?"

If he answered "Yes", it's the door you asked. If he said "No", it's the other door.
Jerry
Yep, that's basically the correct answer notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

What I had in mind is something like
"If I were to ask the other door which door leads to the city of Truthfulness, what would he say?". And then you would pick the opposite door of what he tells you.

Regardless, the riddle is solved: Your go, QuickHare smile.gif
QuickHare
------------
I am a bandage. Change one letter and I am some lingo. Remove a letter and I was tuneful. Change a letter and I got off like one. Finally change a letter and I hold a fortune.

What was I, and what did I become?
------------

PS. Thanks to Willow and HG who unwittingly gave me the answers to the riddle, and as such these answers can be found somewhere in Elenarda's forums...
Drie
Grrr.

You're going to make me think? It's not even noon here! And I've just returned from a bank holiday! ranting.gif
teehee.gif
nome
hee!

You were sling, you ended up as bank.

Sling, slang, sang, bang, bank.

Sing hey for the word worphing game!

Nome.
QuickHare
Yep. the answers can be found on this page. Nome, your go...
nome
A man wanted to enter an exclusive club but did not know the password that was required. He waited by the door and listened. A club member knocked on the door and the doorman said, "twelve." The member replied, "six " and was let in. A second member came to the door and the doorman said, "six." The member replied, "three" and was let in. The man thought he had heard enough and walked up to the door. The doorman said ,"ten" and the man replied, "five." But he was not let in.

What should have he said?
QuickHare
Three.

The number replied is the number of letters in the number given.

The next person to post is allowed to post a riddle.
Billywig2
There is something that is nothing, but it has a name. It joins our walks; it joins our talks; it plays in every game. What is it?
Jerry
A shadow? confused1.gif
Billywig2
Yup! teehee.gif
Jerry
Okay, thanks BillyWig2 (and by the way, welcome! smile.gif ).

Here's a riddle I just made up:

I'm found in books 2 and 5
I am mentioned alongside quills
Same surname almost lost an eye
and I love the one who proposed - 'a fresh pickled toad'!

Who is this?

Clue#1: Books 2 and 5 refer to the Harry Potter series
Clue#2: The last clue is the most important one

Good luck, everyone! smile.gif
Drie
I'm just gonna guess...Ginny?
Yoda
Gilderoy Lockhart?
Jerry
Nope, sorry, though Yoda is on the right track wink.gif

Here are some more clues:

1) I am a woman
2) I am mentioned in Chapter 23 of OoTP - 'Christmas on the Closed Ward'
3) I am a three-letter admirer
hershey
Neville's grandmother?
Goatman
Gladys Grudgeon

Here's the next one:

A police officer saw a truck driver clearly going the wrong way down a one-way street, but did not try to stop him. Why not?
blonde_jenius
A police officer saw a truck driver clearly going the wrong way down a one-way street, but did not try to stop him. Why not?

the truck driver was walking down the street. tongue.gif

If i get it right do i have to post one next?
Hatty
Jerry
QUOTE (Goatman @ Sep 10 2004, 02:31 PM)
Gladys Grudgeon

Great job, Goatman. (I think you meant "Gudgeon", though wink.gif )

Just to clarify, here is how it works out:

I'm found in books 2 and 5 - self-explanatory
I am mentioned alongside quills - In Book 2, Gladys is mentioned when Harry has his detention and Lockhart hands him a quill asking him to write her address; in Book 5, Lockhart mentions that she writes weekly while he's doing his signing for Harry, Ron, etc...
Same surname almost lost an eye - Remus Lupin mentions that, back in his time, Davie Gudgeon had almost lost an eye due to the Whomping Willow, in Book 3.
and I love the one who proposed - 'a fresh pickled toad'! - who proposed the singing valentines if not Gilderoy? biggrin.gif

And to Blonde_Jenius, first of all welcome! smile.gif Second of all, if you've solved the riddle correctly, it is your turn to post!

blonde_jenius
I'm in sure i'm right but i will post a riddle as i'm busy for the rest of the weekend and might not be back.

What is greater than God,
More evil than the devil,
The rich have it,
The poor want it
and if you eat it you'll die.

Good luck everyone! biggrin.gif

Hatty
Jerry
What is greater than God,
More evil than the devil,
The rich have it,
The poor want it
and if you eat it you'll die.

NOTHING!! biggrin.gif

And to the next riddle: What does the following 'word' mean?

"amUous"
blonde_jenius
What does the following 'word' mean?

"amUous"

If it is what i think it is then its so cool!!

AMBIGUOUS??!!

Next riddle:
What common expression does this arrangement of letters represent:

WOWOLFOL

Jerry
Does it represent an idiom of some sort? ermm.gif
blonde_jenius
I don't think so. But solving it goes along the same lines as "amUous". Hope that helps.
Jerry
Oh, ok. What I wanted to suggest was that it represented the idiom "a wolf in sheep's clothing" (which would be "WOLF" in "WOOL"). I guess I was wrong biggrin.gif bag.gif
blonde_jenius
Yes you were right. I think i got idion confused with another word! bag.gif
Your Turn!
Jerry
During a battle, a small army unit found itself confronted by a wide and seemingly endless river. However, they discovered a boat in which two children were rowing about. It was so small that it would only carry the two children, or one grown person.

How did the 358 soldiers across the river and leave the two children finally in joint possession of their boat? And how many times did the boat need to pass from shore to shore?

Good luck smile.gif
Goatman
they swam?

one soldier went across and tied a rope to a tree on the other side and everyone held themselves up by the rope and pulled themselves across?

how about a hint???
Jerry
they swam?

Basic military fact: Rifle gets wet = Rifle no work biggrin.gif , so no, they did not swim. wink.gif

one soldier went across and tied a rope to a tree on the other side and everyone held themselves up by the rope and pulled themselves across?

nice try, but no. They did not have that kind of material. All they had was their bodies, determination, and the aforementioned boat. biggrin.gif

Hint: Think about the fact that the boat could only carry one full-grown person or two children. Once you figure out the method, all it takes is simple multiplication and the riddle's solved.

Good Luck smile.gif
Goatman
they put all the rifles in the boat and then they swam one of them draging the boat!!! biggrin.gif

one went across and pushed the boat back to the next soldier?
Billywig2
OK, lets name the kids Jack and Jill, the soldiers are on the east side of the river, trying to get to the west side.Both children row to the west shore and Jill stays there. Then Jack rows back across to the east side where the soldiers are and disembarks. One of the soldiers gets in the boat and rows across to the west shore. He gets out, Jill gets in and rows across to the east side where she picks up Jack and they both row over to the wast shore. Jill gets out and Jack crosses back over to where the soldiers are on the east shore. A soldier gets in and rows over to the west shore. Etc. To get one soldier across the river takes 4 times across the river or 2 round trips. There are 358 Soldiers. 358 x 4 = 1432 trips across the river, so that makes 716 round trips.

*bows*
Jerry
QUOTE (Billywig @ Sep 15 2004 12:39 PM)
*bows*

And for good reason! notworthy.gif cool.gif fing34.gif fing05.gif

Your turn, oh, great one biggrin.gif
Billywig2
An old man wanted to leave all of his money to one of his three sons, but he didn't know which one he should give it to. He gave each of them a few coins and told them to buy something that would be able to fill their living room. The first man bought straw, but there was not enough to fill the room. The second bought some sticks, but they still did not fill the room. The third man bought two things that filled the room, so he obtained his father's fortune. What were the two things that the man bought?
Jerry
Okay, since the thing is probably not tangible (as with the other two brothers) I would suggest it would be either light or sound that, presumably, would fill up the entire room. Light, by buying a candle and matches, or chandelier and lightswitch, etc... Sound, by buying a stero system and a CD, or the like.

Am I on the right track? ermm.gif unsure.gif
Billywig2
Yeah, you got it. A candle and a box of matches. fing05.gif
Jerry
Okay, easy riddle coming up... biggrin.gif

There is something that is always coming, yet never arrives?

*Drum Roll*

What is it? biggrin.gif

Good Luck. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.