Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topic    Start new topic
> Oddly refreshing?, What are your oddities?
Drie
post Jun 2 2004, 07:41 PM
Post #1

It's a Small World After All

Group: The Mod Squad
Member No.: 1,656

Okay, I was re-watching an episode of Friends the other day (The One With All the Embryoes) and the guys were listing all the funky things that the girls do. For example, Chandler told them that Monica can only eat Tic Tacks in even numbers. This got me thinking, what quirky traits do we all have?

Me, I always count the number of steps, regardless of the fact that I KNOW how many steps it takes to get to my office (16). I know this number will never change, and yet, I count them every time.

Anyone else feel like sharing?

Proud Member of the Red Trio

My sun shall rise in the east
So shall my heart be at peace

"I think happiness is finding a couple extra fries at the bottom of the bag." - Pig, Pearls Before Swine

Just once, I want to shout, "Bwahahhahahaha!" and really mean it.

"I couldn't decide if I wanted marble fudge, chocolate, rocky road, vanilla or butter pecan...I finally decided to try marble fudge...then I had to choose between a plain cone or a sugar cone...I decided on the sugar cone...so what happened? I went out the door, and dropped the whole thing on the sidewalk! Don't tell me my life isn't a Shakespearean tragedy!" ~ Sally, Charlie Brown's sister

Pictures of You

Bunnies! Everywhere!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
QuickHare
post Jun 2 2004, 08:23 PM
Post #2

It's a Small World After All
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2,603

I don't know if this really weird, but it keeps the ideas flowing.

When I'm presented with numbers (like "100 things Harry Potter would never say" or "300 Things Minerva McGonagall Would Never Say"), I tend to always post or make up several to round it up to the nearest round number. For example, if it's on #46, I'll post 47, 48, 49 and 50. Very rarely will I only post one, unless I am that out of ideas.

QuickHare

"To err is human. To completely screw up requires a computer."

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." [Lao-tzu]

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good."
+Quote Post
hockeygod
post Jun 24 2004, 02:04 AM
Post #3

String Theory Rocks my World!

Group: Readers
Member No.: 1,853

I tend to group things in fives. And during the hockey season, whatever way I put on my pads and do my warm-ups for our first win is how i do it for the rest of the season.

~ B.M.
Proud Member of the I.S.D.!!!

IPB Image hockeygod

I'm a Math Geek and it makes me happy!!!

"Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit."~Aristotle

"Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity."~Henry Van Dyke

"Life is wasted on the living."~Douglas Adams

"Everyone is a genius at least once a year. The real geniuses simply have their bright ideas closer together."~Georg C. Lichtenberg
+Quote Post
Yoda
post Jul 2 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #4

I'm co-ordinating internationally!... help!

Group: H&G Members
Member No.: 50

I found my oddity! I always like light switches to be in the 'on' position when the light is on, and 'off' when the light is off. This of course only occurs when you have two (or more switches) for the same light which means they're usually miles (or a smaller yet strangely significant distance) apart and so to get them aligned usually sees me in a strange race between light switches biggrin.gif

Yoda, yay for my weirdness!

Elyoda on the NaNoWriMo website

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Jerry
post Jul 19 2004, 01:32 AM
Post #5

Aerials

Member No.: 3,207

I've got a few:

1) If I see someone licking his thumb while trying to turn a page it drives me up the wall.

2) I'm a perfectionist. Enough said. (It's a nightmare, trust me!)

3) I have this weird desire to disprove formulas. E=MC², The Quadratic Formula, The Pythagorean Theorem, any will do. biggrin.gif

~ M.C.

Proud Member of the I.S.D.

“Hey Harry!” said Cedric, strolling up to him. “Did you hear those screams? I almost died!... Is that David Bowie?”
“Never mind that, look!” the American exchange student exclaimed. “I found the Triwizard cup! It’s mine! All mine! I’ll finally get the fame and glory and honor I deserve!”
“Stupefy,” said Harry. The American exchange student dropped to the ground, stunned.
“Woah!” Cedric exclaimed in astonishment. “You can do magic?!”
“Come on, Cedric,” Harry sighed. “We’d better take this together. You know, so Draco Malfoy won’t think I’m selfish. I really want to get with him, you know.”

-- Silver Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Omelette of Desire

IPB Image Rabbits Have Rights!
+Quote Post
hockeygod
post Jul 20 2004, 06:53 PM
Post #6

String Theory Rocks my World!

Member No.: 1,853

Another of my oddities is that I can't stand to see someone doing math or science wrong. If they are using a formula wrong, I have to keep myself from telling them to move over while I do it the right way.

~ B.M.
Proud Member of the I.S.D.!!!

IPB Image hockeygod

I'm a Math Geek and it makes me happy!!!

"Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit."~Aristotle

"Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity."~Henry Van Dyke

"Life is wasted on the living."~Douglas Adams

"Everyone is a genius at least once a year. The real geniuses simply have their bright ideas closer together."~Georg C. Lichtenberg
+Quote Post
pdlegirl
post Sep 16 2004, 10:53 PM
Post #7

Go banana!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,356

Alright, I hate it when people say "anyways." It's anyway-why make it plural?!?!

Oh! I also have a huge problem with double negatives. Grrr.
+Quote Post
Ignotus
post Sep 17 2004, 08:05 PM
Post #8

Part of the furnishings

Member No.: 3,314

Well, I'm weird with the way people pronounce things. If someone pronounces a word wrong, I automatically correct them. I have no clue why I do this, but I can safely say that I am not the only one this oddity annoys.
+Quote Post
Billywig2
post Sep 17 2004, 08:09 PM
Post #9

Psyco Sockologist

Member No.: 690

I don't like my ankle socks to be even, but everything else has to be symetrical. If I do something with one hand, I like to do it with the other as well, if I brush the hair away from one side of my face, I have to brush it away from the other side, even if there isn't any hair there.

If I ever found a pot of gold,
I'd buy bottles untold of the nectar of the vines,
'cos I'm gonna die with a twinkle in my eye,
'coz I sung songs, spun stories, loved, laughed and drank wine.

Tomorrow is another day,
The cats are out to play, to play!
+Quote Post
Ignotus
post Sep 18 2004, 02:49 AM
Post #10

Part of the furnishings

Member No.: 3,314

QUOTE (Billywig2 @ Sep 17 2004, 03:09 PM)
I don't like my ankle socks to be even, but everything else has to be symetrical. If I do something with one hand, I like to do it with the other as well, if I brush the hair away from one side of my face, I have to brush it away from the other side, even if there isn't any hair there.

Urgh! I know exactly what you mean! And here I was, thinking I was crazy! (Well, if you watched the TV show Monk, you'd think that too. . . )
+Quote Post
nome
post Sep 18 2004, 06:05 AM
Post #11

Queen of the Bowling Alley

Group: Betas
Member No.: 8

Well, besides the oddities that come with being obbsessive-compulsive (really and truly, although I've managed to slip past the genes with a mile case), something did come up recently...

My brother and I were talking on the phone, and he wanted to know whether the Morris Center Cafeteria was the one by my building in Deseret Towers (we were meeting for lunch), or the Cannon Center. I replied that it was the Morris Center, and that the Cannon was by Helaman Halls. His reply was "Oh, right, they're opposite." Then, chuckling to himself, he started to explain what he meant. I replied that I knew exactly what he meant -- D and C are by one another in the alphabet, so opposite meant that D was with M, which C was with H.

I had though I was the only one who categorized and memorized things that way. He was completely gobsmacked.

Then I related the story to my sister, who replied halfway through that she knew exactly what he'd meant. She does the same thing. Must be in the bloodstream.

...and for a slightly more usual oddity, I eat things really weird. Like hot dogs -- I eat them cold and raw, either eating all the skin stuff first, or biting it lengthwise and eating the insides out. Apples are slightly less disgusting, but I eat it one bite deep round the center, then around on end, then the other. Then I eat the second bite deep round one end, then all round the other, then round the center. By then there's no more apple.

And about the apples... after concluding this was a very weird oddity unique to me (this conclusion was encouraged by my brother), I remarked on it to my brother-in-law, only to learn his entire family eats them the same way.

"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." - Mark Twain

Nome's LJ
+Quote Post
Willow
post Sep 18 2004, 09:32 AM
Post #12

smells

Member No.: 817

Thats really odd - i would never think of categorizing things that way. Its a bit complicated for my ears for a start! lol

As for eating things weird, im not sure if this is weird but when i eat a bag of crisps i dont like all the bits that hav broken off to be in the bag, so ill dig to the bottom and eat those first and then i can eat the other big ones. If i dont do that then i just wont eat them!

Im like billywig2 and ignotus on the symmetrical thing...if i scatch one side of my face, it feels un even so i have to scratch the other side....sometimes when i turn a light on with one finger...i have to turn it off with the other, then put it back on with both...so neether one feels odd!
In the end it takes about 1hour to turn a light on!! lol

Proud member of the Red Trio

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Billywig2
post Sep 20 2004, 10:15 PM
Post #13

Psyco Sockologist

Member No.: 690

Oh. I'm scared of the full moon, too. As in, Totally-freaks-me-out scared, I won't even look out the window or go outside on a full moon. It all comes from a trauma from when I was little, but I don't wanna explain it.

If I ever found a pot of gold,
I'd buy bottles untold of the nectar of the vines,
'cos I'm gonna die with a twinkle in my eye,
'coz I sung songs, spun stories, loved, laughed and drank wine.

Tomorrow is another day,
The cats are out to play, to play!
+Quote Post
GinnyBee
post Oct 15 2004, 08:45 PM
Post #14

Ten Pin Bowling

From: Formerlly San Fransisco until I was unjustly kidnapped and taken to Philadelphia. Lily and Mollie, if your reading this: Help
Member No.: 3,589

Ok, I can only do my english homework while listening to Hebrew music! Other languages work too, but it's normally Hebrew cause that's what I have the most of. Anything except English. Strange huh?
fing34.gif

"You know Hobbes, somedays even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help." -Calvin and Hobbes.

I get days like that, but I trying to get used to the whole I'm living on the East Coast and haven't done that since I was six years old and I want to move back to San Fransisco and be with my dad and Grandmother, but instead I'm stuck with my Mom, stepdad, stepsiblings (Only one of which I can half tolerate) and annoying halfsister. But i'm trying to appreciate the things Philadelphia has that San fransisco doesn't, like snow. But that's the only thing I can think of.

And to the question I have been asked many times before on other boards: yes my name REALLY is Ginny, only it's not short for Ginevra or Virginia, it's short for Genevieve (pronounced Gin-eh-veev, not Gen-uh-veev or John-vee-ev, as I'm constantly correcting people, like my stepfather for example)
+Quote Post
Cristin
post Oct 17 2004, 08:09 AM
Post #15

You talkin' to me?

Member No.: 3,626

It took my sister's observation to identify one of mine. She pointed out to me that I tend to eat my entire meal clockwise. I am just recently starting to mix servings on my plate, as when I was little I didn't want to have anything touch each other.

I do not regret the things I have done, but those I did not do.

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they choose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."
-Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy-

"There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it."
-Edith Wharton-
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topic    Start new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:14 PM