Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oddly refreshing?
Harry and Ginny > Make Yourself At Home > Procrastination Station
Drie
Okay, I was re-watching an episode of Friends the other day (The One With All the Embryoes) and the guys were listing all the funky things that the girls do. For example, Chandler told them that Monica can only eat Tic Tacks in even numbers. This got me thinking, what quirky traits do we all have?

Me, I always count the number of steps, regardless of the fact that I KNOW how many steps it takes to get to my office (16). I know this number will never change, and yet, I count them every time.

Anyone else feel like sharing?
QuickHare
I don't know if this really weird, but it keeps the ideas flowing.

When I'm presented with numbers (like "100 things Harry Potter would never say" or "300 Things Minerva McGonagall Would Never Say"), I tend to always post or make up several to round it up to the nearest round number. For example, if it's on #46, I'll post 47, 48, 49 and 50. Very rarely will I only post one, unless I am that out of ideas.
hockeygod
I tend to group things in fives. And during the hockey season, whatever way I put on my pads and do my warm-ups for our first win is how i do it for the rest of the season.
Yoda
I found my oddity! I always like light switches to be in the 'on' position when the light is on, and 'off' when the light is off. This of course only occurs when you have two (or more switches) for the same light which means they're usually miles (or a smaller yet strangely significant distance) apart and so to get them aligned usually sees me in a strange race between light switches biggrin.gif

Yoda, yay for my weirdness!
Jerry
I've got a few:

1) If I see someone licking his thumb while trying to turn a page it drives me up the wall.

2) I'm a perfectionist. Enough said. (It's a nightmare, trust me!)

3) I have this weird desire to disprove formulas. E=MC², The Quadratic Formula, The Pythagorean Theorem, any will do. biggrin.gif
hockeygod
Another of my oddities is that I can't stand to see someone doing math or science wrong. If they are using a formula wrong, I have to keep myself from telling them to move over while I do it the right way.
pdlegirl
Alright, I hate it when people say "anyways." It's anyway-why make it plural?!?!

Oh! I also have a huge problem with double negatives. Grrr.
Ignotus
Well, I'm weird with the way people pronounce things. If someone pronounces a word wrong, I automatically correct them. I have no clue why I do this, but I can safely say that I am not the only one this oddity annoys.
Billywig2
I don't like my ankle socks to be even, but everything else has to be symetrical. If I do something with one hand, I like to do it with the other as well, if I brush the hair away from one side of my face, I have to brush it away from the other side, even if there isn't any hair there.
Ignotus
QUOTE (Billywig2 @ Sep 17 2004, 03:09 PM)
I don't like my ankle socks to be even, but everything else has to be symetrical. If I do something with one hand, I like to do it with the other as well, if I brush the hair away from one side of my face, I have to brush it away from the other side, even if there isn't any hair there.

Urgh! I know exactly what you mean! And here I was, thinking I was crazy! (Well, if you watched the TV show Monk, you'd think that too. . . )
nome
Well, besides the oddities that come with being obbsessive-compulsive (really and truly, although I've managed to slip past the genes with a mile case), something did come up recently...

My brother and I were talking on the phone, and he wanted to know whether the Morris Center Cafeteria was the one by my building in Deseret Towers (we were meeting for lunch), or the Cannon Center. I replied that it was the Morris Center, and that the Cannon was by Helaman Halls. His reply was "Oh, right, they're opposite." Then, chuckling to himself, he started to explain what he meant. I replied that I knew exactly what he meant -- D and C are by one another in the alphabet, so opposite meant that D was with M, which C was with H.

I had though I was the only one who categorized and memorized things that way. He was completely gobsmacked.

Then I related the story to my sister, who replied halfway through that she knew exactly what he'd meant. She does the same thing. Must be in the bloodstream.

...and for a slightly more usual oddity, I eat things really weird. Like hot dogs -- I eat them cold and raw, either eating all the skin stuff first, or biting it lengthwise and eating the insides out. Apples are slightly less disgusting, but I eat it one bite deep round the center, then around on end, then the other. Then I eat the second bite deep round one end, then all round the other, then round the center. By then there's no more apple.

And about the apples... after concluding this was a very weird oddity unique to me (this conclusion was encouraged by my brother), I remarked on it to my brother-in-law, only to learn his entire family eats them the same way.
Willow
Thats really odd - i would never think of categorizing things that way. Its a bit complicated for my ears for a start! lol

As for eating things weird, im not sure if this is weird but when i eat a bag of crisps i dont like all the bits that hav broken off to be in the bag, so ill dig to the bottom and eat those first and then i can eat the other big ones. If i dont do that then i just wont eat them!

Im like billywig2 and ignotus on the symmetrical thing...if i scatch one side of my face, it feels un even so i have to scratch the other side....sometimes when i turn a light on with one finger...i have to turn it off with the other, then put it back on with both...so neether one feels odd!
In the end it takes about 1hour to turn a light on!! lol
Billywig2
Oh. I'm scared of the full moon, too. As in, Totally-freaks-me-out scared, I won't even look out the window or go outside on a full moon. It all comes from a trauma from when I was little, but I don't wanna explain it.
GinnyBee
Ok, I can only do my english homework while listening to Hebrew music! Other languages work too, but it's normally Hebrew cause that's what I have the most of. Anything except English. Strange huh?
fing34.gif
Cristin
It took my sister's observation to identify one of mine. She pointed out to me that I tend to eat my entire meal clockwise. I am just recently starting to mix servings on my plate, as when I was little I didn't want to have anything touch each other.

GinnyBee
it's weird but whenever I don't have anything to do on Saturday nights I bake then hang out on Elenarda
blonde_jenius
I'm a bit obsessive about empty plug sockets being turned off. And also i make lists of everything, then if i dont stick to it exactly then i have to make another, this is why i never seem to get all my homework done.
Jerry
I've discovered another one:

If I make a shortcut on my computer and send it to the desktop, it tends to be something like "Icon (2)". That "(2)" annoys me so much that I won't click on that icon unless I rename it to be without the "(2)".

Pretty weird biggrin.gif
QuickHare
Not weird. I rename them for similar reasoning.
lilyglass
One of many...when I write a lowercase "a," I cannot stand it if the top of the loop doesn't connect with the line on the side. This is to the point where I have to go back and fix it even if I'm taking notes or something.

Also, I completely agree with whoever posted the reply about symmetry--I do the "brushing back nonexistent hair," too. (Obsessive-compilsive tendencies...but I got off easy; I know people who have it much worse than I do.)

sockless
This is really gross and impolite but I do it anyway because I dont think about it till people start laughing at me but it's a habit. I tend to hack (you know, like a cat coughing up a fur-ball) in the middle of a sentence. I'll be talking mid-stream then. . .*bleck-hack*. . .and i'm on my way again and half the time I dont even notice. bag.gif ehhhh. . ..that's not really odd. . . it's just gross.
Drie
Just discovere this the other day...seems I like to count things. I count the spaces between my teeth when flossing. Every time. There must be something wrong with me. teehee.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.