Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB

Reply to this topic    Start new topic
> A Series of Unfortunate Events, Anyone else a fan?
Shallan96
post Sep 25 2003, 01:50 AM
Post #1

Part of the furnishings

Group: Members
Member No.: 112

I checked back through all four pages and I didn't see a topic on this, but I'm so excited I may have missed it.

Is anyone else a fan of Lemony snicket? How long have you been one?

I discovered the series a little over a year ago, in the summer of 2002. I'd noticed them around and finally gave in. I found Book the Second and Book the Seventh at the library, and read those within a few days. I went back for more, but they weren't there. So I began going to Barnes & Noble and reading them there (yes, without buying them). I didn't want to have to pay $10+ for each book. I found them at Costco for a few dollars cheaper and bought all of my books there. I never could find them used. I'm only missing The Wide Window and the Unauthorized Biography (the biography being the only one I've not read).

And the reason I created this thread...

I hold in my hands - well, I would be holding it, if my hands weren't currently involved in typing - The Slippery Slope, Book the Tenth! Anyone else have it? I got mine at Borders a little bit ago. Unless they had others elsewhere on display, they only had two of the books! And I didn't have to pay full price either. smile.gif

Shallan

Taking one's chances is like taking a bath, because sometimes you end up feeling comfortable and warm, and sometimes there is something terrible lurking around that you cannot see until it is too late and you can do nothing else but scream and cling to a plastic duck.
--The Slippery Slope
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Imogen
post Sep 25 2003, 06:28 AM
Post #2

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

This book is seriously miserable. Please go away.

wink.gif

I'm not a fan of the books at all, although I've read the first eight of them. I think the marketing is simply brilliant for them - telling children not to read the books - but the books themselves just grate when I'm reading them. I think I've got a bit of a sense of humour clash with Mr Snicket, and try as I might, I can't get into them properly.

I know a lot of other people are fans, and Carissa's opening a Snicket website soon. I'd imagine there's going to be a few other fans here as well.

Imogen smile.gif

After her O.W.L.s Hope had managed to persuade her dad to give her a crash course in what he laughingly referred to as “Parseltongue for tourists”. Being in Slytherin, she’d thought it had been the epitome of cool to return to school with such useful snakey phrases as “Can you pass the apple pie, please?” and “Would you be good enough to tell me what time the train to Madrid departs from Platform Two?”
~ A Pensieve Affair ~ Now being posted...
+Quote Post
Willow
post Sep 25 2003, 03:04 PM
Post #3

smells

Group: H&G Members
Member No.: 817

QUOTE (Elenarda @ Sep 25 2003, 06:28 AM)
This book is seriously miserable. Please go away.

agreed, i find them erm...whats that word, rubbish, although i know quite a few people who like them im not one of em

Proud member of the Red Trio

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ignotus
post Aug 26 2004, 12:12 AM
Post #4

Part of the furnishings

Member No.: 3,314

Oh I found the books to be quite amusing! The Grim Grotto comes out September 21, 2004. Click here for more info!
+Quote Post
pdlegirl
post Sep 1 2004, 05:24 PM
Post #5

Go banana!

Member No.: 3,356

Hmmm...I've only read the first, and I'm not sure about them yet. I like the idea of them well enough though. I'll read anything once though! biggrin.gif Do you knowhow many L. Snickett is going to be writing?
+Quote Post
Ignotus
post Sep 1 2004, 06:41 PM
Post #6

Part of the furnishings

There are ten out so far, excluding his "unauthorized' autobiography. There will be a total of 13 books when the series is done. Goodness, I even got my mom to read them!

Click here and here for more information on the books already out, upcoming books, and upcoming movies! biggrin.gif teehee.gif
+Quote Post
hockeygod
post Sep 1 2004, 07:16 PM
Post #7

String Theory Rocks my World!

Group: Readers
Member No.: 1,853

I read the first one and loved it. I started the second one and liked it, but just didn't finish it. Should I pick it up and give it another try?

~ B.M.
Proud Member of the I.S.D.!!!

IPB Image hockeygod

I'm a Math Geek and it makes me happy!!!

"Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit."~Aristotle

"Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity."~Henry Van Dyke

"Life is wasted on the living."~Douglas Adams

"Everyone is a genius at least once a year. The real geniuses simply have their bright ideas closer together."~Georg C. Lichtenberg
+Quote Post
Ignotus
post Sep 1 2004, 07:44 PM
Post #8

Part of the furnishings

Of course you should! And if you don't like this one, well, the others are much better in my opinion. But you need to read it to understand certian parts in books 9 and 10! biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
pdlegirl
post Sep 1 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #9

Go banana!

Member No.: 3,356

fing34.gif Thanks for your help....now I just have to get to the store to buy the others!
+Quote Post
Ignotus
post Sep 13 2004, 07:31 PM
Post #10

Part of the furnishings

Eight more days 'till Grim Grotto comes out! (Sorry, just, had to get that out of my system. Anyway, the Grim Grotto-being the thirteenth book-comes out on the same day as Abarat:Days of magic, Nights of War-that being 9-21-04!)
+Quote Post
Terezita
post Dec 7 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #11

Through the mirror

Member No.: 3,767

fyi grim grotto is the eleventh book
+Quote Post
DanRadcliffeRoxmySox
post Dec 19 2004, 02:20 PM
Post #12

Through the mirror

Member No.: 3,757

I love A Series of Unfortunate Events. but not as much as Harry Potter

Jen and K-lo SHS's book worms!
+Quote Post
GinnyBee
post Dec 22 2004, 04:48 PM
Post #13

Ten Pin Bowling

From: Formerlly San Fransisco until I was unjustly kidnapped and taken to Philadelphia. Lily and Mollie, if your reading this: Help
Member No.: 3,589

I'm a huge fan. And the movie was awesome, I took my little sister to see it and she loved it, and she's only four!

"You know Hobbes, somedays even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help." -Calvin and Hobbes.

I get days like that, but I trying to get used to the whole I'm living on the East Coast and haven't done that since I was six years old and I want to move back to San Fransisco and be with my dad and Grandmother, but instead I'm stuck with my Mom, stepdad, stepsiblings (Only one of which I can half tolerate) and annoying halfsister. But i'm trying to appreciate the things Philadelphia has that San fransisco doesn't, like snow. But that's the only thing I can think of.

And to the question I have been asked many times before on other boards: yes my name REALLY is Ginny, only it's not short for Ginevra or Virginia, it's short for Genevieve (pronounced Gin-eh-veev, not Gen-uh-veev or John-vee-ev, as I'm constantly correcting people, like my stepfather for example)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topic    Start new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 12:39 AM