Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jkr Interview
Harry and Ginny > Make Yourself At Home > General discussion
Drie
From Cristin:
Speaking of what's new in the world of Happy Potter - did anyone hear the news about what J.K. Rowling has revealed about book 7? If you have, who do you think it will be?

It isn't exactly new information...

JKR said in an interview yesterday that two characters will definitely die in book 7, with the possibility of Harry's demise. Now, as many of us in fandom know, JKR has hinted that she'd do in Harry since probably about PoA, or even sooner. You can read the details here.
Willow
I don't think that we'll see Harry's demise.

If im not mistaken in an interview on TV Judy asked whether she'd ever go back to HP, and she said *jokingly* 'Well maybe - Harry Potter's midlife crisis! *laughs*'

So....maybe she actually hints there that he's not going to die.

But i don't know! Although Harry is copyrighted, a lot of Authors want to kill the main character, simply so no-one can ever steal the character..... blink.gif
LizWeasley221
QUOTE(Willow @ Jun 27 2006, 06:00 PM) *

But i don't know! Although Harry is copyrighted, a lot of Authors want to kill the main character, simply so no-one can ever steal the character..... blink.gif

I don't blame them - it is HER character. No one else should be writing about Harry and making money off of it.

As for him dying, yes I think so. Although I voted for yes, and it still shows up that i voted for 50/50.
QuickHare
I believe Harry will survive longer than we think. We've been following his progress for 7yrs, so we're really into his life. To kill him would have an adverse reaction in the reading community.

As for the other killing, I'm thinking Ginny. Simply because Who-Know-Who is more likely to aim for her thinking Harry will turn to a darer side to magic, a la Star Wars. It's a powerful emotion to play with, and one only few authors can do without making it lok cheesy.
Windsong
I don't really think JK will kill off Harry, but it is a distinct possibility....

Sadly, I do think there is a high possibility that Ginny might be killed off - after all, the Weasley family have had a bit of a charmed life so far - often because Harry was on hand to save the day. He has broken up with Ginny to protect her. Big, big mistake!
Drie
I know a lot of people are fearing Ron's death. I must admit, that's where my brain first jumped, but as someone else at another site pointed out to me, to kill Ron after finally getting Ron and Hermione to notice each other in "that way" would just be too cruel. There have been a lot of hints that Ron will die though...

Wah!

At least I was ready for Dumbledore.

I believe that it will be Snape to die in some act of saving Harry/Ron/Hermione/Ginny. Some kind of redemption?
Cristin
When I first read the article and forwarded it on to Drie, my first thought was Ron and Snape. Don't ask me why I think this way - just a hunch...

I hope I'm wrong about Ron!
Willow
I can't deal with all you people saying Ginny may possibly die.
crybaby.gif It would ruin the whole, HP happily ever after.

Unless both Harry and Ginny die. But that would be just as bad.

If two people are going to die in book 7, well. Voldemort has to die. And then Snape can go as well.
Joyous world for all, and i don't have to cry. drie2.gif
Drie
Duh! How could I not consider Voldemort? Can't believe I left him off of the poll!
Willow
Easy to miss him off the post, he's such an obvious choice that no-one would think.

When JKR talks about killing people off.....he never even comes to mind. I wonder if she means for him to be included or not, i wouldn't be surprised JKR is very sneaky in her hints to a plot/or possible death. icon_book2.gif
Cristin
OMG! I didn't even think about Voldemort either! Although, that would be too perfect...hmmm....
Willow
Yes but, hes GOT to die its the last book, and unless JKR wants to make a big twist and have Harry and....?? die, and then let Voldemort reign over the world as we know it.......

Imogen
See, the thing about the prophecy is that it could equally work with both of them dying - or both of them surviving if the conflict is to continue. There may well not be a resolution - I mean, who can get rid of evil?

Snape seems to have had it in the surviving stakes. I still think he's going to die protecting Harry to pay back his (unwilling) debt to James, although I'm secretly hoping that he's the one JKR's reprieved!

Ginny's definitely at risk because her loss would probably have more impact on Harry than anything else. I'm sure that once upon a time JKR said that she wasn't planning on killing off Ron or Hermione, but I could be hallucinating, because I've no clue where she might have said that. I do think they'll make it through to the end ok.

Harry - well, I can see the point in him dying. Heck, I've written him dying. It wouldn't surprise me if she did, although the bottom line is that it is a kids book series, and you can't really kill off the hero, especially not when it's from his pov.

Hagrid is a strong possibility, but then so is Peter Pettigrew...
Yoda
QUOTE(Imogen @ Jun 28 2006, 06:55 PM) *

See, the thing about the prophecy is that it could equally work with both of them dying - or both of them surviving if the conflict is to continue. There may well not be a resolution - I mean, who can get rid of evil?

I completely agree with Imogen's last sentence there, this is why I think Voldemort will be "destroyed" rather than he will be killed. After all, he technically died already (he's definitely soulless to many extents). I reckon Snape has to bite the bullet, possibly at the hands of Malfoy Sr. while, get this, protecting Malfoy Jr., because I reckon that little feller's in over his head.

Ginny can't die for the reason that even Voldemort must fear her Bat Bogeys, common sense. For a similar reason, Gred & Forge will make it because the funny ones always do (exception to rule: Sean of the Dead, where the entire cast is largely comedians and what else do you expect, grr, zombies!).

The trio... well, one of them will definitely go, I think that's pretty much guaranteed, because look who went in the last book.

Now all we need is the book *politely passes a shove(l) to JKR*
jen
I really, really want Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione all to live and live happily ever after. I want them to have happy endings, dangnammit!

Imogen, I swear I remember JKR saying that she wouldn't kill off Ron. I don't think she ever said about Hermione, but I do recall her saying that she wouldn't do that to Harry (kill his best mate, that is).

As for the two characters dying... Well, it would probably be *more* than two, wouldn't it? It's a war, after all. What I got from the interview was that two extra characters that weren't originally supposed to die get the chop, and one character who was supposed to die gets to live.
bart
Now then JKR has said she might kill off Harry in book 7, but not when exactly...

I seem to remember a quote saying there will be an apendix of sorts at the end of the book where she will briefly cover the lives of the survivors...

So who's to say some thing like this won't happen...

Harry Potter married Ginny had 12 children, became minisiter of Magic and lived a peacful life where nothing interesting happened until he DIED at the age of 140...

Thus killing him off and killing off any possible plots for someone to write, and yet letting him live...
Jerry
I agree with Jen, above. JKR stated (at least, she is quoted so) "Two die that I didn't intend to die", which would mean that many characters could potentially die, but their deaths were already planned.

So here's my prediction for most of the characters:

I always had the notion that all the "fatherly" characters would have to die, in order for Harry to face Voldemort alone. Therefore, I think JKR would have planned that Sirius, Dumbledore, Hagrid, and Mr. Weasley would die (Not Mrs. Weasley, as she's not exactly 'fatherly'...) from the beginning.

For reasons already stated above by Drie, it would be cruel to take out Ron or Hermione. If one goes, both goes. Then again, I believe that Harry will die, (NOOOOOOOO! biggrin.gif) and taking out the entire trio would be even crueler, so my vote goes to both staying alive.

Using the above logic that "if one goes, both goes", I'd say Tonks will die, as well, seeing that Lupin should die (as hypothesized above).

Bill and Fleur are getting married in the summer. JKR is not doing anything to those two (I hope).

Ginny is connected to Harry; I don't have any reasoning to back it up, but I'll feel she'll stay alive.

Percy will somehow be able to rejoin his family, and stay alive, if he doesn't continue to act like a jerk.

Charlie is complicated, for a different reason. He's not connected to anybody (anybody = important plotline. He's not connected to Harry like Ginny, Ron, or Mr/Mrs. Weasley are; We don't see him almost daily like we see Fred and George; he's not had a row with his family which singled him out, like Percy; he's not marrying anyone, like Bill.) To me, he's the most obscure character of the entire family. For this reason, I'm not sure what JKR would do with him. I personally think he'll stay alive, if only to preserve the rest of the family which remained alive (minus Mr. Weasley).

Peter Pettigrew will get a reprieve somehow. He's the "Gollum" in all this mixture. He will do something that will aid Harry greatly at a great cost to himself (i.e. dying). But again, I think we all knew that was coming, ever since Harry had that conversation with Dumbledore at the end of the third book why it was okay to let him go.

As for Snape, I tried to defend him here. Will he die? My guess is that he will, but that his death had been long coming, and JKR knew it from the start. Also, if my logic in that post is correct, there's no reason for Snape to get a reprieve, since Dumbledore agreed, and even wanted Snape to kill him.

Mad-Eye Moody and McGonagall will stay alive, I think. The only reason I can think of is that the Order needs them to the end, now that Dumbledore's gone. If one of them goes, my guess is Mad-Eye, by Lucius Malfoy.

Voldemort will die. No explanation needed. biggrin.gif I believe Harry and his friends will find all the horcruxes whatever and wherever they may be, destroy them, and finish Voldemort for good.

My final guess:

"One character got a reprieve, but I have to say two die that I didn't intend to die."

R.A.B. for the reprieve; Dobby and Rufus Scrimgeour for the originally unintended deaths.
jen
I really do hope that Ron, Hermione, Harry and Ginny all live. The whole series has really been about them (well, about Harry) growing up and finding their (his) way in the world, and JKR has said that they are each others' perfect matches. Why go to all that trouble if they're just going to cark it in the end? I don't know, maybe there WILL be way for them to die and still have a satisfactory conclusion (and if anyone can do it, it would be JKR), but right now, I don't think I'd be happy at all if any of those four don't get their happy endings.

As for the others... I do agree with Jerry about Harry needing to face Voldemort without his fatherly figures, but it already seems like the beginning of Book 7 will be Harry doing this alone. He says after Dumbledore's death that the last of his great protectors has gone, and now it was up to him. Hagrid and Lupin do provide supportive roles, but not in the same way as Sirius and Dumbledore did. *shrugs* That's not to say that they won't die, just not necessarily because Harry needs to face Voldemort without fatherly figure help, since it seems he lost that fatherly figure help with the death of Dumbledore.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.