nome
Genre: fantasy, good/evil, arthurian mythology
Books:
The Dark is Rising
Greenwitch
The Grey King
Silver on the Tree

original and prequel -- Over Sea Under Stone

I've read this series at least five times, and ought to read it more often. Just finished it again, and they are excellent books. It's, to paraphrase a formal review of it (on back of the books, I think), the sort of sweeping battle between good and evil necessary for a great read. In that sense, it reminds me of Tolkein and Eddings, but the fantasy of it is very original, even built on a theme of being born into duty in a metaphysical war.

Nome.
RosieG
It has to be one of my favorite series! I loved it! Do you know that Susan Cooper studied writing with Tolkien? I have to say, it definitely shows.
*Sigh*
Will Stanton is one of my favorite characters of all time! Though I feel bad for the kid sometimes...
Ashwinder
Can I say I bought these books fully expecting to enjoy them and... well I don't know why, but I was disappointed? I read the prequel "Over Sea, Under Stone" and it was all right, but then I started on the second one and couldn't get into it. I gave up on it. *cringe* Anyone want to convince me this is worth giving a second chance? I really would like to enjoy this series...
Imogen
Ah now, somehow this one has always slipped past me, but I have a copy in my hot little hand to read as part of my PhD. Anyone interested in a serious discussion on this book bit by bit?

Imogen biggrin.gif
nome
sure, I'm interested in a discussion!

please, please don't give up on the books. the dark is rising is probably the least directly engaging. you can skip to the next without being completely lost.
RosieG
Actually, "The Dark is Rising" was my favorite one... Don't know why you couldn't get into it...
The discussion sounds like a great idea! I'm completely up for it! Though, I've only read them once... Maybe I'll go through them again...
~Rosie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.