Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Timeline
Harry and Ginny > Make Yourself At Home > General discussion
Evans
This person has brought you Jurassic Park and the Andromeda Stain, and created the TV show ER (not that I've read or seen those tongue.gif, just saw the movie for Jurassic Park.) In this book, Mr. Crichton weaves me into the story, and I lose track and can't put it down. It starts off a bit boring, but it gets better and better.

Think of the quantam theory: information moves between two universes, and with only a machine and a bit of technology. A group of people, looking to save their Professor in the past, are stuck in Fourteenth Century France - in the midst of war.

That's the summary a bit reworded. I think it's great so far, especially since it's time travel (one of my favorites). It's filled with action, makes you think, and is well-written. What more can you want?

I am reading this for summer reading, but it's better than any summer reading book I've ever read.
Yoda
I've read 'Timeline', and while it's probably not Mr C's finest piece of work it certainly does make for a good read.

I love how while everyone describes it as a time travel book, it's not actually about time travel. I think (if I remember correctly) that the original concept was just about transporting an object through space (not time), but something went wrong with the original experiment. A second experiment was conducted, sending a camera through, and after triangulating by stars and everything else scientific, they managed to figure out that they'd moved through space and time. Ain't quantum great?

But the thing was, they could only go to this one place and time, and so the plot develops from there with the Professor and his team (reluctantly) heading back to the site they were investigating in the past.

It's very cool. The characters are a bit flat at times, but (thinking back I'm quite sure this is his name) Andre Malik is probably the best - it's almost like his 20th century character was meant to live back in the 14th from the start - so he's a fun one to follow around.

yoda

PS: 'Congo' is also quite a good read for Mr. C, less science and more of a mystery thriller with a dash of horror. And monkeys biggrin.gif
Drie
'Timeline' was also a very fun movie. If you get a chance, check it out. I don't know how butchered it may have gotten from the book, but I really enjoyed the whole concept of it. I'm a sucker for this kind of topic -- has anyone read the 'Outlander' series by Diana Gabaldon? Same concept, but here the main character falls through a circle of stones to the Scottish uprising. Very cool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.