Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hbp - What Did You Think?
Harry and Ginny > Make Yourself At Home > General discussion
Pages: 1, 2
Imogen
I finished at 4 am and was absolutely thrilled with the whole thing. The books seem to have picked up their magic again after such a shock with book 5.

The H/Gness was perfect, and what's the betting that's going to be resumed in Book 7 at the end - or at least we know the potential is there. And such Harryish reasons for breaking things off. Loved the impromptu kiss in the common room as well, and him wrestling with how Ron was going to react. Totally fantastic to finally see that all happening in the flesh.

As for Snape - my jaw just about dropped! The book obviously belonged to someone slightly dodgy because Hermione kept warning about it all the way through, and it seemed possible it might be Snape (who's obviously adept at potions), but I couldn't work out how he could be the HBP, until I was finally told at the end. We all knew Dumbledore was going to go, but not like that. I never thought Snape would kill him - I honestly thought it would happen with Voldemort.

It certainly looks like Snape has reverted to the dark side, exposing the order. But part of me has to wonder if this is a double bluff on JKR's part. We still don't know why Dumbledore trusted him so much. There's some unfinished business here.

The soul dividing thing makes a lot of sense and provides a nice focus for that last book. The hubby (who has now nabbed my copy) is wondering whether a piece of V's soul might be inside Harry himself. Which would be an interesting twist. I'm looking forward to that last book and seeing how everything wraps up.

Loads of other thoughts are buzzing R/Hness - arguments and that lovely scene at the funeral -, Remus and Tonks, Bill and Fleur (Go Fleur after Bill was bitten, but I loved the Phlegm nickname!) Malfoy and what's going to happen to him now. He couldn't kill Dumbledore, so how is he going to cope as a Death Eater (assuming Voldemort accepts him to take his father's place now), how is Harry finally going to learn to block Snape out of his thoughts.

In a word WOW! Great book. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Imogen wub.gif
sockless
That is so not cool. I was just getting my book when you were done!

I finished an hour ago and I am in two minds.
I am SO thrilled about the H/G-ness! omg! I was antisipating Ron and Hermione but Harry and Ginny were a complete bonus! However, Harry and that nobility complex. . . .grrrrrr.

I totaly shocked about Snape. I am SO upset about everything involving him and this book! Bad Bad man, is he! (but I still Lurve him I do!)

We all knew about Dumbledore was going to. . . .But not like that. . .not after. . . "I am not worried, Harry". . ."I am with you." crybaby.gif

so. . . . where is book 7? blushing.gif . . . biggrin.gif
Willow
OMG i loved it, but i just. I cant seem to process everything thats happened.
I didnt for one minute think that Snape would turn out to actually still be a death eater, nor did i think that Malfoy would turn out to be one.

I loved the h/gness and i knew that it was bound to happen in this book, and i thought that maybe the characters would seem weird being all emotional because of Harrys Attitude in the previous books, but it fitted perfectly.

The soul splitting thing and the horcruxes seems to make alot of sense, and its a theory that i didnt even begin to think of. J.K.R really has done a brilliant job of bringing back the excitment...

Does anyone think R.A.B could be Regulas Black??

I cant think of anything to say...im just so speechless.
Plot=amazing.
zyguh
NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!......AhghhhhhrrrrrrrrrrraaaaNooo....sob......., You cant have the perfect, absolutely perfect, H/G finally get together scene and then do THAT!!!! Ah noOooo. :-)

What, like 3 pages of them "being together"? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.............lol. I cant believe Im THIS frustrated and annoyed about that one scene at the end. Cuz of course thats how it would happen, but really.....there were only like 3 PAGES of them being happy together.......NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!.( ROFL), noo..., whimper....

...sigh....

If R.A.B was Regulas then I bet the Horcrux was at Grimmauld place and we saw it in Book 5. Probably one of the items Kreacher was trying to steal when they were cleaning. Or that Mundungus did steal and has sold since.

This was such a great book. I loved every word of it......book 7 comes out when? :-)
sockless
Yay!!! I'm not the only one thinking it's Regulas!!

What, like 3 pages of them "being together"? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.............lol. I cant believe Im THIS frustrated and annoyed about that one scene at the end. Cuz of course thats how it would happen, but really.....there were only like 3 PAGES of them being happy together.......NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!.( ROFL), noo..., whimper....

Lol!!! I know how you feel!
Billywig2
unsure.gif

What do I do now?

Well, I guessed that Snape was the hbp when sluggy made that comment to him at the party, something about being as good as Snape at potions. Oh, but I totally did not see *that* coming... my *favorite* character!! It's no fair! Dad thought that something was seriously wrong when that happened, I was sitting in front of the fire, then suddenly burst into tears rolleyes.gif

I also thought about R.A.B. being Sirius' little bro, but my brother's nicked off with my books so I can't check some facts. Is his middle name on the tappestry of the Black family tree? and Is that locket in the cabinet that they cleaned out, maybe?

*Loved* the H/G, but why does Harry have to be so demmed noble? ><

All in all, both hate and love the book, but mostly love biggrin.gif

EDIT: Best line EVER!

I must say, your agapanthuses are flourishing.
Drie
Just checked OOTP, and it only lists Regulas Black, no middle name, but Sirius' favorit uncle who left him money was...Alphard? Maybe it was Regulas Alphard Black? And it was confirmed in both OOTP and HBP that Regulas was killed by Death Eaters. Sirius says that he tried to back out, and there was mention at the beginning of HBP that Regulas didn't survive as long as Boris when hunted by Death Eaters.

I am so emotionally spent right now. This had so many elements (yay for all the correct FF ships!) that made this book my favorite. Just brilliant.

I had so many verbal reactions to this book. I giggled over potions when Harry was describing what the love potion smelled like, and then in later chapters that familiar scent was mentioned again, but realted to Ginny. That's what got me thinking about how that love potion worked -- its most powerful scent must be related to the person you love, because that's exactally when Hermione blushed and stopped describing what she smelled.

Gasped with Snape. Evil, evil man. I do believe that he was working as a double agent, that Dumbledore was hoodwinked in some way. JKR stated not long ago that Snape is EVIL. I sure believe it now. Gasped again when I heard Bill was a body, but then relieved to hear he wasn't dead. *snigger* Phlegm. I teared up over Dumbledore's death and funeral. This was truly amazing.

Favorite quotes:
"Do you remember me telling you we are practicing nonverbal spells, Potter?"

"Yes," said Harry stiffly.

"Yes, sir."

"There's no need to call me 'sir,' Professor."
"...I'm keeping you in overnight.  You shouldn't overexert yourself for a few hours."

I don't want to stay here overnight," sand Harry angrily, sitting up and throwing back his covers.  "I want to find McLaggen and kill him."

"I'm afraid that would come under the heading of 'overexertion,' " said Madam Pomfrey,..."
fing34.gif  laugh.gif  wink.gif

To echo dear Sockless and zyugh, when do we get book 7???
Willow
Does anyone maybe think...that Dumbledore and Snape had a chat about it all. That Dumbledore knows about the unbreakable vow, and therefore told Snape to kill him before Draco had the chance...meaning the unbreakable vow isnt broken and Snape can continue to go under cover??

I'm wishfull thinking.... cool.gif
Imogen
Regulus would seem to fit with the content of the note. Someone close to Voldemort who knew he was going to die, but was making a last ditch attempt to weaken the Dark Lord. Fits with someone who didn't realise what being a Death Eater was all about and then was revolted by it. For some strange reason I thought we've come across him as Regulus A. Black before, but I don't have time to chase down where I've seen that. Won't be fanfic because I've not read any. Books? JKR's site?

In which case you're right. Grimmauld Place, or the stuff Mundungus has stolen.

Do you think Hogwarts is going to close next year? Might be handier for Harry and co if it does, because then at least they'll have supportive people around to help in their quest for the horcruxes next year.

And H/G is only on hold. That's going to be right back in the end. Look at all the positives, like the 'perfect understanding', 'source of comfort' and the fact she was the only one who could lead him away from Dumbledore. He's responding instinctively to her and she understands him through and through. It's just a matter of time. *sighs happily*

Finished my reread and I'm still as delighted with the book as I was. Unfortunately I've got to work today so no time left to mull over it.

Where did JKR say Snape was evil? I've still got this uneasy feeling it might be some sort of double bluff that will come good in the end. I wonder if portrait Dumbledore will spill the beans on why he trusted Snape so much?
Imogen
Oooh - just had a nasty thought.

The spell binding Harry, so he couldn't act while Dumbledore was being killed, vanished once Dumbledore was dead. It had no power any more once the spell's caster is no more.

So Dumbledore was the secret keeper of the OotP, and it was he who could tell where the HQ was. Now he's dead, does that mean that any of the order can tell the location? In which case are the Order in danger. They'd cleared out at the beginning of book 6, but once Harry was found to be the rightful owner, would they have moved back in?

Is this going to leave them more vulnerable to Snape's treachery?

unsure.gif
rdehwyll
The following is strictly my opinion, shaped by my own experiences as a writer.

Everything in HBP is a setup -- Snape DID Kill Dumbledore, but I suspect that drinking the potion caused Dumbledore to BECOME one of Voldemort's Horcrux; That is why he called out "Kill Me!" when he drank the potion hiding the false Horcrux -- he realized what he had become. Why did he want Severus Snape when they returned to Hogwarts? Because Snape would be able to use Legilimency to discover what he had become and follow through on that declaration...which he did. Snape is NOT a traitor, though he now seems to be -- the 'double-agent' gambit expressed earlier in the book.

I believe he will die in the next book, but by his death enable Harry to defeat Voldmort.

Again, only my opinion -- and I should qualify this by stating that I have NOT read anyone else's opinion in this thread yet -- I wanted to post before any discussion entered my thought patterns...
Imogen
Not sure I agree with you Robert, although it's a really interesting theory. Isn't it the case that a horcrux can only be created through a murder in the first place? Voldie didn't murder anything (as far as we know) at that time to enable anything to be made into a horcrux.

Snape's playing Snape's game. I wonder if he's actually doing it for Voldie, or if he has designs of grandeur himself? I agree though - he'll die next book.

Going back to the idea of there being one inside Harry, I've dismissed that idea completely now. If that was true, there's no way Voldie would want to kill Harry. It's making himself too vulnerable. Although it's a fun idea to think about

*kicks off plot bunny*

Drie
QUOTE (Elenarda @ Jul 17 2005, 02:47 AM)
Where did JKR say Snape was evil? I've still got this uneasy feeling it might be some sort of double bluff that will come good in the end. I wonder if portrait Dumbledore will spill the beans on why he trusted Snape so much?

JKR said it in an interview I read somewhere...but I can't remember where. She was talking about all the people who make Draco or Snape into good characters, etc. Now that I think of it, she had mentioned as well that all the fan girls of Draco should separate the character of Draco from the movie actor (meaning that yes, the actor is cute) because the character of Draco is not a good guy. But we (and Harry) saw a glimmer of good in Draco at the end of HBP as Harry noted that Draco's wand was wavering (or something like that) and probably would not have killed Dumbledore.

I do believe (for now) Snape is working as a double agent and is still a black hearted Death Eater, but should evidence present itself in another way, I'll change my opinion. I just think that Dumbledore was looking at the good in Snape and thought Snape really had repented. Hmmm. Really, it could go either way.

About the headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix, Harry said they could continue to meet there, but Dumbledore never confirms nor denys that they do continue, and Harry doesn't go back to #12 at all in book 6. Perhaps HQ moved?

Imogen, I agree with you about H/G. They will be together in the end. smile.gif And I too am looking forwad to what the portrait of Dumbledore will have to say.
hershey
Arrrgghhh! Not reading any postings yet. Can't spoil it for me. Didn't even get my book until Saturday afternoon.... Ron Language! said Hermione baseball tournament. And to top it off it is 95 + degrees here, miserable for playing or watching ball. Jerry can back me on this one. So I have yet to pass page 100 as we had two more game this Sunday. I will be back reading this afternoon for sure.

Suffice it to say I am incredible jealous of all of you who have finished the book! dry.gif Will post what my thoughts are once I've been allowed time to read. wallbash.gif

~H~
Imogen
Hershey - sleep is irrelevant. You need to READ this NOW!

Seriously!

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif this book wub.gif
cranberry27
I LOVED IT! This book was fantastic. Heck, I'm back on a message board because of it! Hi Imogen smile.gif Rich loves the hubby's theory. H/G and R/H were just fantastic - just enough to promise me that all is well.

Don't want to even pretend these excellent ideas are mine, so I'll just give the link to a LiveJournal with some great theories. Between my fiance and I, we had a lot of these ideas, but the whole thing is tied together nicely.

One of the ideas, in short, is that Dumbledore told Snape to kill him in the moment that they stared at each other, since the potion was killing him already. That makes this quote make a lot more sense to me:

‘Don’t--’ screamed Snape, and his face was suddenly demented, inhuman, as though he was in as much pain as the yelping, howling dog stuck in the burning house behind them--‘CALL ME COWARD!’ (p. 604)

If he were really just a horrible guy running from the scene of the crime, I feel like he wouldn't have been this way. Maybe he would have yelled at Harry, or taunted him, but what he said didn't sit right with me. If it's true, he's going to have a VERY hard time clearing his name. Might give him some sympathy for Sirius.
hershey
Have finally finished reading and will share a few thoughts before dashing off to bed.

First, had strong suspicions that Dumbledore was the one to die by about 2/3 of the way through the book and that Snape would be the one to kill him. JKR really paved the way on this for me with the "unbreakable vow" line. Also interviews on morning television with young people who didn't reveal any details but were visibly shocked when discussing the book. JKR was intereviewed on the Today Show this am and she stated that going into Book 7 Harry would be driven by revenge. What better to fill his cup of vengence that the death of his mentor.

Second, I am not falling for the Dumbledore being duped by Snape. "The greatest wizard that ever was" fooled by Snivellus, I think not.

I think Snape didn't know what Draco's assignment was to be, but felt compelled to make the vow to protect his duel "allegiance". When he discoved what was to be he confided in Dumbledore who insisted he follow through, hence the argument the two shared.

I concur that Dumbledore knew his time was running short, hence his concentrated focus on teaching Harry all he could about Voldemort.

Horcruxes, soul splitting - BRILLIANT!

Am off to the land of cheese to help Grandma pack for a few days with the crew. She has sold her house finally. Will have chance there to revise and return with more comments to share.

Must sleep now,
Hershey
USMCDevilDog
Dumbledore was the greatest wizard, but he was still a human. Humans make mistakes.

Snivellus is a traitor. In order to use the Avada Kedavra you have to enjoy killing, according to Bellatrix. But something was odd this time. When the AK is used, the victim just falls dead. Dumbledore was blasted in the air, before he fell, and he was bleeding from his mouth. Is it something to be noted?
Drie
QUOTE (USMCDevilDog @ Jul 19 2005, 06:26 AM)
Dumbledore was the greatest wizard, but he was still a human. Humans make mistakes.

Snivellus is a traitor. In order to use the Avada Kedavra you have to enjoy killing, according to Bellatrix. But something was odd this time. When the AK is used, the victim just falls dead. Dumbledore was blasted in the air, before he fell, and he was bleeding from his mouth. Is it something to be noted?

Actually, I believed this as well until I just chatted with Hershey on the phone. She mentioned that Dumbledore and Snape may have used legimins (sp...don't have the time to look it up, sorry!) and that Dumbledore may have forced Snape to cast the killing curse. It's an interesting theory. I'm kind of on the fence about Snape right now.
Jerry
Oh, where to start, where to start...

Oh, dear. I think I'm the only one here who actually did not like HBP, for reasons I'll explain later on.

First of all, I think it's clear that H/G, R/H, T/R (That's Tonks/Remus), and B/P (Bill/Phlegm biggrin.gif ) are set. Tonks's and Remus's discussion was clearly written, the scene in the hospital wing between Mrs. Weasley and Fleur was pretty straightforward, the attraction between Harry and Ginny and the desire to protect each other was unequivocal (Incidentally, did anyone have to read the scenes involving Harry and Ginny twice to convince themselves that it wasn't fanfiction, but canon?) and there was enough tension between Ron and Hermione to fill every barrel and container in the world (presuming, of course, that tension can be turned to liquid).

Now onto the characters:

Rufus Scrimgeour: I didn't like him. He's way more keen and discerning than Fudge was, and knows what Dark wizards and their capabilites are, but he still insists on making Harry into the ministry mascot. (I liked Harry's retorts very much wink.gif ) But, I think he will change in the final book. For the better.

Horace Slughorn: A great character. He may be into important connections and royalty and things like that, but he was tremendously valuable to Harry and Dumbledore as we all read. I have a feeling that he'll be staying next year and teach potions, and I'm absolutely certain he will assist Harry directly in the battle against Voldemort in the final book. I felt an instant connection to him. (Though if he would've just been a bit more suspicious and not have told Riddle about the horcruxes...)

Marvolo Gaunt: Nutter. A person that treats Muggles and Muggle-lovers as vermin is never seen as sane, IMHO. Well, turns out he was Voldemort's grandfather, so what do you expect?

Tom Riddle: As expected. Displaying extraordinary magical ability, alertness, and intelligence. JKR did a marvelous job of describing himself, his actions, and his thoughts. Naturally, I've felt nothing but loathing towards him, even at the orphanage. I'm sure we all did. wink.gif

R.A.B. Two people I can think of, though without full initials. Regulus Black and Ali Bashir. It's left to speculating from there.

Albus Dumbledore A.K.A. The Only One He Ever Feared: I think that in 'The Cave' he displayed more inner strength and power than during his duel with Voldemort the previous year. Now, back to why I dislike HBP; I think it's the most profound and complex book of the series, but I can't remove the memory of Dumbledore dying. I think that that was what caused me to dislike the book so much. To see someone who you revere become so frail and vulnerable is extremely dissuading. Also, from the moment Harry saw his blackened and dead fingers, coupled with the incessant rumors before the release of HBP that this would be the last year for Dumbledore, I was sure he would die by the end of the book. It's Harry on his own now. Just Harry and Voldemort.

The Half-Blood Prince A.K.A. Severus Snape: He's on our side, and has killed Dumbledore on Dumbledore's wishes. I strongly support the theory that the potion that Dumbledore drank caused him to become a horcrux, and that Dumbledore wanted to be killed to aid in the destruction of Voldemort. I can't help but support rdehwyll's theory regarding this. HBP is a complete setup. I read and reread 'Spinner's End' and 'Flight of the Prince' and came up to this conclusion. I hate Snape more than ever for doing this, but I find it easier to believe that he has hoodwinked (and still is hoodwinking) Voldemort than hoodwink Dumbledore. (Of course, this leads to more speculating!) If he is indeed, on our side, I don't think anyone can appreciate his sacrifice and bravery. He's defying the Dark Lord, and he is shunned from the Light. For the first time in the Harry Potter series, I see him in a different light. A favorable one. It is my belief that Harry and Snape will work together to defeat Voldemort, but unknown to each other. Snape will die, but Harry will live. One last thing: By the chapter 'The Half-blood Prince' I've narrrowed it down to Snape or Tom Riddle (not Voldemort, but Riddle). I'm curious if anyone else thought that Riddle was also the Half-Blood Prince at first...?

All in all, it was a great book, but I can't help feeling a strange emptiness after concluding it. I have a peculiar feeling I won't pick the book up again... unsure.gif

But it was definitely worth the wait!

Jerry, detective.gif
Drie
QUOTE (Jerry @ Jul 19 2005, 01:22 PM)
One last thing: By the chapter 'The Half-blood Prince' I've narrrowed it down to Snape or Tom Riddle (not Voldemort, but Riddle). I'm curious if anyone else thought that Riddle was also the Half-Blood Prince at first...?

It seemed that way, but I remember that JKR said that the HBP wasn't Harry or Voldemort/Tom.

I didn't like the fact that Dumbledore died, but it is a classic event in any fable or fairy tale. It was even shown in Star Wars, where Luke knew he needed to stand alone when Obi Wan was cut down by Darth Vader. Having seen Dumbledore die gives Harry justification to end all this madness. For once, there was a death in this series that wasn't Harry's "fault." Harry's parents died to protect him. Cedric died because Harry nobily decided they should both grasp the Goblet of Fire. Sirius died because Harry believed a false vision. Even Professor Quirrel (sp?) died because he touched Harry. Now, these aren't Harry's "fault," but they are all directly related to something to do directly with getting to Harry. Yes, Dumbledore was one of Harry's protectors, but it wasn't as if Dumbledore was physically in front of Harry to protect him. Harry had his invisibility cloak on and was bound by magic. I don't think anyone else knew he was up there, hidden and bound, due to the tense nature of the situation. I now believe that this was Dumbledore pushing Harry on to the next level. Like Ron in the giant chess match in PS/SS, sometimes you have to sacrifice yourself to win.
hockeygod
I haven't finished it yet, but have read the spoilers on here.

I think that Snape is on the side of the Order. I think that either he told Dumbledore what he had to do because of the Unbreakable Curse and didn't want to or that Dumbledore actually had told him (Snape) to kill him. Perhaps Dumbledore knew his time was short and that to protect Snape's cover as a Death Eater it would be necessary for Snape to kill him. That argument really sticks out to me.

As far as the Half Blood Prince, I thought it could have been Tom, or Snape, or even Dumbledore. I thought it could be the first two for obvious reasons. But I thought it could be Dumbledore because of Griselda Marchbanks when she was talking to Umbridge. she said that she had personally tested Dumbledore at N.E.W.T level and that he had done things with a wand in Transfiguration and Charms that she had never seen before. Thats why I thought it could of fit. Obviously though, he isn't the Half-Blood Prince.

This is my very favorite HP book even though I'm not done yet.

When I finish I'll be back with more ideas.
EdinaBrya
I haven't finished yet, but I just love this book!!!!!

Kathy
Jerry
1) Here's where Regulus Black is being discussed. Is it just me or does Sirius not seem so sure of himself?

"Oh, no," said Sirius. "No, he was murdered by Voldemort. Or on Voldemort's orders, more likely, I doubt Regulus was ever important enough to be killed by Voldemort in person. From what I found out after he died, he got in so far, then panicked about what he was being asked to do and tried to back out. Well, you don't just hand in your resignation to Voldemort. It's a lifetime of service or death."

Wasn't Sirius in Azkaban?! When did he found out? Who told him? Why is everything regarding Regulus so vague? Furthermore, it doesn't seem like Sirius is very concerned with details regarding his death or his whereabouts. He takes it for granted. This method had failed with Kreacher - Sirius thought he was somewhere around the house while he went to the Malfoys and and informed them of whatever was going on. I think that Sirius takes it for granted that Regulus Black died, without inquiring specifically when it did happen.

Coupled with the fact that JKR likes to surprise us, and the straightforward statement by R.A.B. - "To the Dark Lord - I know I will be dead long before you read this" I'm forced to conclude that the person is still alive and, also, that it is, indeed, referring to Regulus. Notice also the use of 'Dark Lord' - a death eater reference to Voldemort. Regulus was a death eater. That's unquestioned. But maybe he had faked his own death? After all, Peter Pettigrew did it. Barty Crouch Jr. did it. Why not Regulus?

I stumbled upon this too... It takes place in OotP, in the House of Black...

There was a musical box that emitted a faintly sinister, tinkling tune when wound,... until Ginny had the sense to slam the lid shut; also a heavy locket that none of them could open...

If I'm not mistaken, we may have stumbled onto something big here.

2) Following my belief above that HBP is a setup and keeping in mind that JKR likes to trick, surprise, and throw us all off the real plot, I can interpret the last paragraph of 'Flight of the Prince' in consistency.
Harry neither knew nor cared what the message meant. Only one thing mattered: This was not a horcrux. Dumbledore had weakened himself by drinking that terrible potion for nothing.

A subconscious plot to throw us off the real thing, IMHO. This is Harry's point of view. He's seen Snape plainly kill Dumbledore, what else can he think?

3) Also, what I think are the most important couple of lines in the book (in regards to book 7) can be interpreted in accordance with my theory (though I admit it's not very solid)

Snape gazed for a moment at Dumbledore, and there was revulsion and hatred etched in the harsh lines of his face.
"Severus...please..."
Snape raised his wand and pointed it directly at Dumbledore.
"Avada Kedavra!"

Snape gazed at him. At him. By a little stretch of definiton and thinking why JKR chose the word 'gaze' and not 'look', we can find room to say that Snape was looking into Dumbledore's mind; into his soul. And saw that Dumbledore has become a horcrux. Right after this momentary gazing, there is "revulsion and hatred etched in the harsh lines of his face." Most people assume this hatred was directed at Dumbledore. I think it was directed at Voldemort. Snape was horrified to see a piece of Voldemort inside Dumbledore, and it filled him with immense hatred against Voldemort. (Recalling the argument that Hagrid had let slip in 'Elf Tails', "Dumbledore told him he'd agreed ter do it an' that was all there was to it." IMHO, Snape had told Dumbledore of the Unbreakable Vow. Dumbledore then agreed that if it comes down to that, Snape should kill him, and not attempt to break the Unbreakable Vow.) Right after this hatred encompasses Snape, Dumbledore "reminds" him: "Severus... please" In other words, "Kill me! Don't blow your cover!" Armed with that hatred and with Dumbledore's final consent, Snape raises his wand, points it directly at Dumbledore, and has enough hatred and loathing directed to kill. As Dumbledore requested.
My last thought in this matter, though, is that Snape had not attempted to kill Dumbledore. He had attempted to destroy the horcrux. (Of course, he knew that that would take Dumbledore out, as well) This may explain why Dumbledore was blasted into the air, and not just slumped to the ground, or rolled over, dead. Because a part of Voldemort had been destroyed. Like the ring, like the diary, like Dumbledore, Voldemort's soul-pieces were not destroyed peacefully and quietly.

4) And a small part of me still keeps thinking that Snape never killed Dumbledore. The hatred that fueled the Avada Kedavra hit Voldemort's soul, not Dumbledore in the slightest. It couldn't kill him. The hatred, the driving force behind the curse just wasn't directed at Dumbledore. But the power of the destruction of the soul was so great, though, that Dumbledore was lifted backwords, causing him to fall down below. And the fall was what caused his death. Precarious, I know.

The evidence for a lot of this is very shaky and can be contradicted by other sources, I expect, but it's just my opinion.

Jerry, speculating and up too late wink.gif

Edit #1: Just noticed the link cranberry27 gave. Seems like I'm not the only one with the Regulus, locket, and OotP thoughts. Thanks for shedding some light on my jumbled thoughts! wink.gif

Edit #2: Okay, after reading that page from the link, I am absolutely, categorically, unequivocally certain that Snape, however greasy his hair may be, is on our side. And on Dumbledore's.
Drie
I know not everyone here checks MuggleNet, but I found this to be a bit freaky:

Albus - In Latin means white (maybe for white beard). Wisdom. Or.. Governor of Britain at the death of the emperor Pertinax, Decimus Clodius Albinus (Albinus=Albus?) attempted to seize the throne but ended up as Caesar in alliance with another imperial contender, Septimius Severus. After Severus defeated two other rivals (Voldemort and... maybe Slytherin?), the now expendable Albinus was forced into another attempt at usurpation, an attempt that came to an end at the blo*dy battle of Lyon.

Check out the origin of other names here.
Imogen
What do we think of the idea that Harry's scar might be a horcrux?

I'm pondering it at the moment. Not Harry himself, but the scar. Possibly an unwitting horcrux. We know Voldie was probably going to create a new one with the killing of Harry. Might it have backfired slightly, and Harry's scar contains a morsel of Voldie's soul? We've always known it was significant - is this why?

I agree that the necklace at Grimmauld place is probably one. I also think the Snape theories are likely. Thanks Cranberry for the link to that LJ! Interesting reading.
cranberry27
I am liking the idea of Harry's scar as a horcrux more and more. What if Voldemort didn't actually perform a killing curse at all? Maybe that seventh split was all that was possible (with the magical number factor), and by pulling so much of his soul out, Voldemort was reduced to almost nothing after seven? He could have used James' death to make the horcrux, making Lily's death unnecessary, as JKR has recently emphasized that it was.

Nobody saw the killing curse being performed. They just assumed that Voldemort wanted to kill Harry because he killed everybody. The prophecy didn't say he would kill, but merely "mark him." In OotP Voldemort tried to destroy Harry by having Dumbledore kill him. What if he was trying to set up the same scenario, assuming that his final battles would be against the strongest wizard he knew of? To defeat the horcrux Dumbledore must defeat the threat to Voldemort's power.

Amy
Jerry
That's very interesting. Harry's scar as a horcrux, hmm.... unsure.gif
It may very well explain Harry's powerful connection to Voldermort's feelings. After all, it's Tom's soul! But that means that Harry will have to sacrifice himself for Voldemort's defeat to be complete, no? Unless there's another way to remove the scar... Anyway, if that's the case, does Voldemort know about this?

Regarding the Snape theories, I think I've got another tiny bit to add. (I couldn't find this anywhere.) Dumbledore's Death is recorded in Harry's PoV. Harry recalls Dumbledore saying "Severus....", and then "Severus...please...". I was thinking that within those three words Dumbledore had told Snape that he is a horcrux, by saying, "Severus, sever us, please...", saying that he and Voldemort's soul are now joined as one and he wants Snape to separate him from the soul. Harry, though, had simply recorded Snape's name twice. Just a thought.

Oh, and for someone else that stands for R.A.B. besides Regulus - What do you think of that girl that was taken by Tom Riddle to the cave when he was in the orphanage - Amy Benson? Is it possible that she had 'R' as a first initial and was really a witch?

@ Drie: Thanks for the quote. Freaky indeed. ph34r.gif
hockeygod
Good point Jerry about the fact that it coulb have been "sever us" instead of "Severus". Very shrewd of you to pick up on that.

I've been thinking about Snape and the good vs. evil argument. Besides my other asrguments for him being good, he protected Harry. He wouldn't allow him to cast an Unforgivable. In a way, he was keeping him out of Azkaban. Also, he had a chance to really hurt Harry, not kill him, but hurt him. However, he didn't. He knocked Harry down, but it kept him from giving chase anymore. If he had kept chasing the Death Eaters, one of them might of killed him.

And Snape's anger didn't have to be aimed at Dumbledore. All Bellatrix says is that righteous anger won't do it. You have to have true hate and enjoy. Well for Snape, the hatred could come from anywhere: his childhood, his years at Hogwarts, even being in Tom's service. And I wonder if the enjoyment part is just second nature for Death Eaters. If you kill enough it would almost have to.

These are just some thoughts to mull over.
zyguh
Well, after reading it for the fourth time, and parts of it who knows how many times (lol......I swear I just pick it up to reread one passage and the next thing I know its four hours later and Ive read it from that point to the end).....I actually think that the reason Dumbledore trusted Snape was that he made Snape take an Unbreakable Vow when Snape came to him for help. I dont think JK would have made such a point of having Ron describe almost taking an unbreakable vow as a kid for any other reason. She put that in, and it just really stuck out (since it was Ron describing the magic instead of Hermoine for a change)....there had to be a larger reason that had to do with Unbreakable Vows. I think that the vow was that Snape would always follow Dumbledores orders. Thats why the argument Hagrid overheard, because Dumbledore told Snape he should kill him instead of Malfoy if it ever reached that point. And Snape had no choice because he made an Unbreakable Vow to follow Dumbledore's orders.

I dont know if Dumbledore will be back "alive" again (I still hope that because of his phoenix and the whole phoenix being reborn thing that he will) BUT......not only will there be a portrait Dumbledore....but has anyone thought of the chocalate frog cards? :-)

He is free to visit any of his portraits right? So that should include the cards....and in OoTP Bill made a point of saying that Dumbledore didnt care he was stripped of his Order of Merlin and kicked of the Wizengomett as long as they dont take him off the frog cards. I bet anything that Dumbledore will be travelling all over the wizard world in the next book via all those cards, and that Harry will be able to carry one with him to always have him there for advice.

The other four horcruxes are the snake, the cup with the badger, the locket of slytherins, and one thing that would have been hidden in Hogwarts before Harry was even born. I dont think it can be Harry's scar(although it may have been, and thats why he needed Harry's blood to be reborn....but if thats the case then that part of his soul cant still be in Harry, so it cant be the scar).

I think its the sorting hat. I think the hat might be the Ravenclaw artifact. It would be one thing that he would have to be a teacher to get access too. As head boy he might have been able to get access to it, and have made it the horcrux, but the only way to get access now would have been to be a teacher. That would also explain why he didnt just go get the horcrux the night he met with Dumbledore....if it had been any place else in the school he could have just gone and got it. But the sorting hat is always kept in the headmasters office, so whatever he was after at the school had to be in that office or he would have just taken it that night. Anyway....guess we will know in SOOOOOBBBBBBB, 2 years............

That locket that Ginny saw in the case at Grimmauld place was probably Slytehrins locket , and I bet Mundugus already sold it. Who knows where the cup is (anyone want to bet on it being transfigured into the Quidditch World Cup :-) )

And as far as endings go.......you know that all wishes to be an Auror aside, Harry has to end up teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts at Hogwarts someday, right? I mean, thats just the one thing thats been fated to happen since book one.

Any bets on how it all gets tied up? Harry teaches Dark Arts, Hermoine is Minister of Magic, and Ron is keeper, and Ginny Seeker for the Chudley Cannons who win the Quidditch World Cup. Thats my vote, anyone else?

hockeygod
I would like to point out that the Sorting Hat was Gryffindor's. In Harry's first year, the Sorting Hat sings that Gryffindor swept him off his head.

I like the idea of that being the fourth Horcrux though.
Jerry
Ok, let's try to put in into facts:

The horcruxes that we are absolutely sure that were destroyed are:

1) The Diary - and that's destroyed
2) The Ring - and that's destroyed, as well

The horcrux that we are absolutely sure that still exists is:

3) Voldemort's own soul, inside his body

Dumbledore's speculated horcruxes:

4) Slytherin's locket

5) Hufflepuff's Cup

6) Nagini

7) ?

People's speculated horcruxes (as to what #7 is):

Harry's Scar / Dumbledore himself

I personally don't think that Harry's scar is a horcrux, currently. The reason for that is because I do believe that Dumbledore was a horcrux. My attempted explanation is that we saw how weakened Dumbledore became from drinking the potion and from other effects (in other words, whatever happened to make him into the horcrux, according to my theory). He ended up dying. If Harry's scar is a horcrux, wouldn't it give him unbearable agony every waking moment? Think about it. A part of an absolutely emotionless creature is part of himself - a being full of emotion and love. I don't think that Harry would last too long if that were the case.

As for Nagini, I agree with Dumbledore. Nagini is a horcrux, and a pretty useful one at that. The same goes for the locket.

Regarding the Sorting Hat, I don't think it's a horcrux, simply because of the disdain that the 'Diary Riddle' showed towards it in CoS, when Fawkes swept the Hat into Harry's hands. "This is what Dumbledore sends his defender?" he sneered. (Or something to that extent.) Which brings me to my next point. I'm almost sure that Voldemort did not use a Gryffindor-related item as a horcurx (the sorting hat included; thanks Andrew for pointing that out), even if that means I'm saying Dumbledore was wrong.

I don't think Hufflepuff's cup was was used as a horcrux, either. I don't know why. It's just a gut feeling I have that Voldemort wouldn't want anything that didn't relate to Slytherin, even if it had immense magical powers, and even if, again, that means that Dumbledore was mistaken. I know that it had vanished, together with the locket, but I don't think it was used as a horcrux.

Now, that presents us with a bit of a dilemma. We've lost a potential horcrux. But, after reading Book 2 cover to cover again, I think I've found another horcrux. Ginny.

If I say it myself, Harry, I've always been able to charm the people I needed. So Ginny poured out her soul to me, and her soul happened to be exactly what I wanted.... I grew stronger and stronger on a diet of her deepest fears, her darkets secrets. I grew powerful, far more powerful than little Miss Weasley. Powerful enough to start feeding Miss Weasley a few of my secrets to start pouring a little of my soul back into her...

The diary is gone, yes. But who says that the fragment of the soul that was injected into Ginny is?

(I can think of two refutations to this:

1) When the diary was destroyed, whatever it caused was erased, including the fragment of Voldemort's soul that was incorporated into Ginny from the diary.

2) The diary was a horcux, not the original soul. And the original soul can be split, not an existing horcrux.

But neither of the aforementioned refutations satisfy me, because maybe Voldemort's horcrux was so powerful was that it, in itself, could split, and even if the source (diary) was gone, the fragment that split into Ginny remained, becoming a new, totally separate horcrux.)

Just some thoughts.
sockless
That's a really interesting point about Ginny being a horcrux. But then would that mean that Harry would have to kill her? I dont think that JK would do that to him.
However I really like zyguh's ending for the books. That's the way it should be.
Jerry
QUOTE (sockless @ Jul 23 2005, 11:22 PM)
That's a really interesting point about Ginny being a horcrux. But then would that mean that Harry would have to kill her? I dont think that JK would do that to him.

I think that that is just the thing JKR would do. Choosing between love and eternal destruction of Voldemort, even though love is the key to destroy Voldemort - kinda fused together in a paradoxically sort of way. Maybe it's a bit harsh (and possibly sadistic), but hey, it's just a speculation wink.gif

And if Harry's scar is a horcrux, he'd also have to die, don't you agree?

p.s. Hi Sockless!
QuickHare
Oh, whole-heartedly.

*nudges Yoda as if to say "What is he talking about?"*

As a slight aside (of which can be ignored once answered), does anyone have an idea when the next HP book is due out? I guess JKR hasn't set an actual date, but maybe she knows of the month and year?
hershey
QUOTE (QuickHare @ Jul 24 2005, 04:43 PM)
Oh, whole-heartedly.

*nudges Yoda as if to say "What is he talking about?"*

As a slight aside (of which can be ignored once answered), does anyone have an idea when the next HP book is due out? I guess JKR hasn't set an actual date, but maybe she knows of the month and year?

A news program here said she was planning on starting Book 7 this fall. Barring any more babies ... wink.gif I would hazzard to guess sometime in 2007.

~H~
hershey
QUOTE (Elenarda @ Jul 17 2005, 05:47 AM)
Do you think Hogwarts is going to close next year? Might be handier for Harry and co if it does, because then at least they'll have supportive people around to help in their quest for the horcruxes next year.

I think I have the answer for this. I just finished watching the Biography program on JKR and Harry Potter. In the very last segment she shows the package which contains the last chapter of Book 7. She states, " I feel rather dubious about showing you this. I don't know why." and then just a bit later she states that it is just a synopsis of what happens to everyone "after they finish school, those that survive that is." I would have to conclude that Hogwarts will be open for their final year.

Ha, I was so excited to here this I ran straight away to post.

~H~
sockless
QUOTE (Jerry @ Jul 23 2005, 11:31 PM)

I think that that is just the thing JKR would do. Choosing between love and eternal destruction of Voldemort, even though love is the key to destroy Voldemort - kinda fused together in a paradoxically sort of way. Maybe it's a bit harsh (and possibly sadistic), but hey, it's just a speculation wink.gif

And if Harry's scar is a horcrux, he'd also have to die, don't you agree?

p.s. Hi Sockless!

NoooooooooooooOoOoOoOoOoooooooo! crybaby.gif I have a rule for movies where the hero/ heroine is not aloud to die. Same rule applys here. so there! Ha!

Hello dear Jerry!
hershey
I think the end of GoF disproves the possibility of Harry's scar being a Horcrux. Voldemort at the end of chapter 24 says

Stand aside! I will kill him! He is mine!"

If part of Voldie's soul was incased in Harry, even if unintentionally, wouldn't Voldie be able to see that using Legillimens? He certainly would not want to kill of part of himself.

Additionally, of the confirmed Horcruxes we know, all of them are inanimate objects, the only exception being Nagini. The idea of a person being a Horcrux seems to deviate from an established pattern thus far.

Hmmm, the speculations continue... detective.gif

~H~
Jerry
You said it yourself, Hershey. Nagini is an exception. Who says she's the only one? I personally don't support the theory that Harry's scar or Harry himself is a horcrux because of what you and Imogen said - that Voldemort would not want to kill Harry if that were the case. But Dumbledore being a horcrux is still a possibility, no? unsure.gif

BTW, anyone noticed that the "jinx" on the DADA teachers continued? I just realized it yesterday. Snape's now gone, and probably will be, from Hogwarts.
Drie
Here's some interesting information from Entertainment Weekly's newest issue on Good!Snape vs. Bad!Snape. Should we continue the debate??? Also, EW suggests the possibility of the Sorting Hat as another horcrux, as it had been Gryffindor's hat before he enchanted it to sort the incoming students into Hogwarts. Any thoughts?

Snape vs. Snape Two opposing views on just whose side Harry's nemesis is on by Paul Katz and Michelle Kung

Bad Snape
Severus Snape kills Dumbledore using ''Avada Kedavra,'' a you-gotta-mean-it-for-it-to-work Unforgivable Curse.

Once a Voldemort-lovin', half-blood-hatin' Death Eater, always a Voldemort-lovin', half-blood-hatin' Death Eater.

He's a master of Occlumency, the ''magical defense of the mind against external penetration.'' Few can see through his lies.

Despite ''trusting'' Snape, Dumbledore refrains from appointing his former pupil Professor of Defense Against the Dark Arts for years. The second he gets the job? Death all around.

Dumbledore admits that being ''rather cleverer than most men,'' his mistakes are ''correspondingly huger.'' Trusting a man who's betrayed him before? Huge mistake.

Harry's been saying it all along.

Good Snape
Snape must fulfill his do-or-die Unbreakable Vow to protect Dumbledore's would-be assassin, Draco Malfoy — preserving his cover as a double agent. So he reluctantly kills the Hogwarts headmaster only to continue spying on Voldemort for the Order of the Phoenix.

Dumbledore was ordering Snape to kill him, not begging for his life. He'd never beg!

Even while battling Harry, Snape reminds him to ''keep your mouth shut and your mind closed'' — sound advice for his former Occlumency pupil. Plus, Snape has rescued Harry several times — however begrudgingly — and even tells the Death Eaters in book 6 to hold off on killing him, supposedly under Voldemort's ''orders.''

Dumbledore trusts him ''completely.'' That's good enough for us.

(Posted:07/22/05)

hershey

I copied the following from a post at PSnet. It is an excerpt from the third installment of the Mugglenet/Leaky Cauldron interview with JKR ( a must read btw). It pretty much eliminates the theory of Ginny being a Horcrux.

MA: Someone put it to me last night, that if Ginny, with the diary -

JKR: Harry definitely destroyed that piece of soul, you saw it take shape, you saw it destroyed, it’s gone. And Ginny is definitely in no way possessed by Voldemort.

MA: Is she still a parselmouth?

JKR: No.

MA: Does she have a life debt to Harry from book two?

JKR: No, not really. Wormtail is different...

The Interview
sockless
I had a thought last night. Throughout the entire series up to book six Harry and Ron always believe the worst of Snape with Hermione always insisting that he is trust-worthy because of his teacher status and that Dumbledor trusts him. I book 6 it's fliped however un- knowingly. Harry and Ron are getting help from the "Half Blood Prince" and Hermione doesnt turt him an inch. I thought that was interesting.

p.s Yay for Hershey for finding that little goodie!
Jerry
Thanks for the quote Drie. I'll try to dissect it. Of course, anyone who wants to reject my explanations and theories is welcome to do so.

Bearing in mind, however, that I believe Snape is innocent, naturally, I'll try to defend him.

1)
Severus Snape kills Dumbledore using ''Avada Kedavra,'' a you-gotta-mean-it-for-it-to-work Unforgivable Curse.

Avada Kedavra needs hatred for it to work. There's no doubt about that. But it may not have been directed at Dumbledore. It may have been directed at Voldemort, or at Snape himself. I don't believe that it says anywhere that Avada Kedavra has to be directed at someone specific. What I think is a clear proof to this theory is the fact that, at the end of OoTP, Voldemort sends a killing curse at Dumbledore, yet Fawkes "dies" (or becomes a baby phoenix once more, as Fawkes can't die.) when he intercepts it. In any case, I don't think Avada Kedavra has to be aimed at something specific. If you have the power and necessary hatred, you can point your wand at a tree, say the words, and the tree will be reduced to sawdust, IMHO. Keeping that fact in mind, we can attempt to say that the hatred was directed at Voldemort, that, indirectly, caused Snape to kill Dumbledore. ("Indirectly" = the fact that Voldemort placed upon Draco to kill Dumbledore, and Snape was forced to perform an Unbreakable Vow, lest Bellatrix (and possibly Narcissa) would become even more suspicious of him. And in the end, under the Vow, Snape needed to kill Dumbledore.) Or we can say that Snape is filled with self-loathing because of the deed that he needs now to do. In either case, the text in the book supports the claim that he contained hatred - "Snape gazed for a moment at Dumbledore, and there was revulsion and hatred etched in the harsh lines of his face." - what the hatred was directed at is a matter of speculation.
Therefore, I agree with EW's quote:
Snape must fulfill his do-or-die Unbreakable Vow to protect Dumbledore's would-be assassin, Draco Malfoy — preserving his cover as a double agent. So he reluctantly kills the Hogwarts headmaster only to continue spying on Voldemort for the Order of the Phoenix.

Actually, thinking along these lines lead me to think: Maybe Avada Kedavra works in the form of crumpling and instantly killing its victims only when its directed at its target, but if it hits an indirect target, it shatters, explodes, and erupts? Everywhere in the book (everywhere I looked, at least) where it recorded a properly-aimed Avada Kedavra, the victim crumpled and died - Frank Bryce, Cedric, the fake Moody's spider, Sirius, But when Voldemort aimed it at Dumbledore (in OoTP) and hit Fawkes and the security guard's desk instead, they burst into flame. Maybe it's the same with Snape and Dumbledore. The hatred fueling the curse wasn't really intended for Dumbledore, so maybe that's why he was blasted into the air... Unlikely, I know. (And logically, it should be the opposite, if you think about it) But it's pretty interesting to note. Or maybe it's the fact that Dumbledore is probably the most powerful wizard alive. To transform this magical 'powerhouse' into nothing (in other words, to kill Dumbledore), it takes a great deal of blasts, eruptions, etc and it won't be taken down quietly....

2)
Once a Voldemort-lovin', half-blood-hatin' Death Eater, always a Voldemort-lovin', half-blood-hatin' Death Eater.

Interesting. But a weak argument, IMHO. Two clear exceptions that I think I identified correctly are Regulus Black and Peter Pettigrew; the former backing out at the last minute, and the latter being what Voldemort himself considers someone who's loyalty wavered. (First chapter in GoF, IIRC)

3)
Dumbledore was ordering Snape to kill him, not begging for his life. He'd never beg!

Quite correct, IMHO. Dumbledore doesn't beg. It's just not him.
To clarify, I want to first say that I've rejected three of my previous theories: 1) that Dumbledore became a horcrux; 2) that Dumbledore said, "Sever us, please"; and 3) that R.A.B. is still alive.
I now think that the potion was simply a lethal drink, but only after a certain amount of time. Dumbledore himself thinks so - "I'm sorry, Harry; I should have said, he would not want to immediately kill the person who reached this island."
Dumbledore knew he wouldn't last long after drinking the potion. He was on his deathbed since the first sip. But that's why he wanted Snape to kill him. He knew that if he would die, Draco would fail in his mission. Meaning that Snape would die, via the Unbreakable Vow. Dumbledore realized that he was going to die that night anyway, why not make it as if Snape killed him? It would accomplish a number of things: It would prevent Draco from being a murderer. it would keep Snape's cover; it would stop Dumbledore's obvious agony that he's in, since when he drank that potion. Also, this brings back the point of "Snape gazed for a moment at Dumbledore" - he gazed at him, using Legilimency. And he read Dumbledore's mind that he wants to be killed by Snape. So that's what Snape did.

4)
He's a master of Occlumency, the ''magical defense of the mind against external penetration.'' Few can see through his lies.

Dumbledore, anyone? wink.gif

5)
Despite ''trusting'' Snape, Dumbledore refrains from appointing his former pupil Professor of Defense Against the Dark Arts for years. The second he gets the job? Death all around.

I don't have an answer for this yet. All I can attempt to say is "So what, what's the connection?" but I agree that it's a feeble attempt.

6)
Dumbledore admits that being ''rather cleverer than most men,'' his mistakes are ''correspondingly huger.'' Trusting a man who's betrayed him before? Huge mistake.

Harry's been saying it all along.

No offense to Harry, but I'd take Dumbledore's word against anyone's. And I think that what Dumbledore was referring to in his above admission, was the specific fact that he didn't tell Harry about the Prophecy and his destiny up until last year, not that he may have made a mistake in trusting somebody or not.

7)
Even while battling Harry, Snape reminds him to ''keep your mouth shut and your mind closed'' - sound advice for his former Occlumency pupil. Plus, Snape has rescued Harry several times, however begrudgingly, and even tells the Death Eaters in book 6 to hold off on killing him, supposedly under Voldemort's ''orders.''

I couldn't have said it any better. smile.gif

And, finally:
8)
Dumbledore trusts him ''completely.'' That's good enough for us.

And for me, too.

Again, these are just my thoughts. Please feel free to interpret the respective scenarios differently.

Thanks for the interview, Hershey. wink.gif
hershey
More things to ponder. The questions Jo wouldn't answer from the Mugglenet/Leaky Cauldron interview, which I think it's fair to reason that they hit too close to bits of Book 7.

* If looking into the Mirror of Erised, what would Dumbledore see?
* What would a Boggart change into in front of Dumbledore?
* Did Sirus' brother, Regulus, have another mirror?
* What was that spell that Dumbledore attempted against Voldie at the Ministry in OOTP?
* Is Grindelwald important in the final book?
* Will the locked room in the Dept of Mysteries be revisted?
* Was there anyone else in Godric Hollow the night Voldemort killed the Potter's?

Oh it's late and that is all I can manage for now. All of the above questions are paraphased from the interview of JKR by Emerson and Melissa, the transcript can be found at their websites (see link in previous post).

JKR neither truly confirms or denies that R.A.B.' s identity is Regulus Black, but simply states "that would be a fine guess." That seems pretty affirmative for me.

Off to dream of more HP speculations,
~H~
nome
I seem to remember JKR saying once that if she talked too much about her beliefs in the Chruch of Scotland, she'd give away the last book. Okay, then, the Christian themes already apparent in the books? Redemption (I'm with the Snape-did-it-on-orders side of the fence), Sacrifice... what about Resurrection? The phoenix has always been associated with Dumbledore, and JKR didn't make as big a deal over the death -- she never mentioned crying over it.

Wasn't there something weird at the funeral where Harry thought he saw a phoenix rise out the funeral flames? Plus, the repetition of the line saying that Dumbledore was never gone while people still loyal to him remain...

I'm not suggesting Dumbledore will come back to life, at least not as he was before. But to be changed into something purer and greater?

Thoughts?
hockeygod
I don't think that Harry will die in the 7th book. I think that the wizard bond between Harry and Pettigrew will protect Harry and Wormtail will die.

Someone may have already put forth this hypothesis. If its been put forth then disregard it.
QuickHare
It is an interesting idea, raised before or not.

I personally think that as each book gets "darker" (others' words), it would make sense. Look at the end of most books which try to make it interesting. Lord of the Rings made Frodo and Gollum, the two most important characters in the path of The One Ring, ended up being thrown over the edge of the ledge in Mount Doom. Ok, one survived, but one did die.

To make it incredibly interesting, I'd say JKR will also cause such a climax, whereby Voldemort and Harry will face each other in an almost deadlock. The two will be so equal in force or ability, that either one of them could win. And, to play with the readers' emotions, both will seemingly die. This will cause others to mourn for a while before revealing that Harry never died. Like Neo almost dying to save the rest of the world in The Matrix, after going head to head with Agent Smith. I can't remember if he actually died, as it was implied but never shown.

Harry almost died while battling the serpent at the end of The Chamber of Secrets. He almost did when battling the pseudo-stuttering Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. I feel the same thing will happen again in Book 7, but worse. Stronger. And much more emotionally.
hershey
This may be a stretch and/or wishful thinking. But when the three receive their OWL scores Harry laments on the his lacking the scores needed to proceed in NEWT level Potions and therefore having the correct classes to proceed with Auror training after school. As we all know, McGonagal also touches on Harry's desires to be an Auror and with Slughorn teaching Potions ... well you know the rest. Going on JKR's tendency subtle suggest future events could we ascertain that

1) Harry will complete his 7th year and move onto Auror training

and more importantly

2) Harry survives his 7th year and moves onto becomming an Auror.

Just a thought.

~H~
Jerry
Good thoughts Nome, Hershey, HG, and QH. All are good. smile.gif

I just want to add one more point to my theories. If Snape indeed is on the Dark Side and killed Dumbledore not because Dumbledore requested it, but because he's a death eater, then why does Dumbledore not have a look of shock on his face when Snape says Avada Kedavra?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.