Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Olympics 2012
Harry and Ginny > Make Yourself At Home > General discussion
Yoda
Well, it's official, the 2012 Olympics will be visiting London - and hopefully brining a nice new transport infrastructure with it laugh.gif

Commiserations to the other four cities (Moscow, New York, Madrid and Paris), but there is some good news for all my work colleagues in France - they're all over here for a visit to us (which we pay for) next week - so no ranting.gif argue.gif wallbash.gif and plenty of drunk.gif will soon result!

I'm particularly looking forwards to the sailing/windsurfing/etc events that'll take place here - in the freezing waters off Cornwall I should imagine boat.gif . How many non-UK entrants will be able to climb back onto their boats/boards after falling in? teehee.gif

Right, must go back to work.

yoda, thumbup1.gif
hershey
Congratulations Great Britain on London being awarded the bid for host city of the 2012 Olympics!

~Hershey~

(who is still confused how just minutes before the LIVE announcement on network TV at 8:50 EST the ticker on CNN ran the announcement blink.gif )
Drie
Yay! I'm thinking I may have to fly there to attend...
QuickHare
Thanks on behalf of Great Britain for those who have congratulated us.

And congratulations to Yoda himself, who managed to use the most number of emoticons in one post.

It turns out that the people who are consulting on the Olympics' IT services also provide support for my workplace. God help them. If you notice times and leaderboards disappearing, it's while they told people to log out while they restarted the servers.

Hershey, your confusion can be explained by two methods:
1. The announcement may have had an early press release to give media time to cover the correct result.

2. "Live", as it turns out, can be about 15mins late. This can be seen in many TV programmes where bad language or unknown results may occur, to give the editing team time to censor any unsuitable material. I believe "Live" means as soon as it happens, give or take the time to beam it across the world. I think this use of the word "Live" is against the Trades Description Act.

Drie, why not visit the Olympics? Best to come over early to avoid the rush. 7yrs ought to do it. whistling.gif
Willow
Im soo excited for the Olympics, two of my friends are already representing England in the internationals for our age group...so maybe ill point them out to you in 7years time.

Think maybe some of you lot from US should save up, and come visit in 2012? drie2.gif
nome
Ooooooh, I wish I could come. I'll probably be in my fourth year of grad school then, though, and too busy.

But oooh. Maybe, maybe, depending on how fast the program is, and whether I have any money. tongue.gif Or maybe I'll change my plans entirely and go to grad school in England. wink.gif
hockeygod
I definitely know for sure that I will be going to the Olympics. Besides paying school debt, that is my other big thing money-wise. One of my cousins might even be on the National Soccer Team by then.

So Drie, are you going to beat the rush and just move there so you can get a good seat...on QH's lap? biggrin.gif
QuickHare
Careful, there, young'un...

She will be sure to get a good view, though as I won't be visiting the actual Olympics, and my house is very far away from it all (unless you want soaking wet people in swimming costumes), there's not much to see.
hockeygod
Sure QH... teu45.gif

So what is everyone's favorite Summer Olympics sport?

I like the soccer and swimming mostly.
nome
Gymnastics, diving, and swimming, definitely.
Drie
I agree with Nome. Those are the ones I'll sit down to watch.
Yoda
As a staunch team-GB supporter, rowing - it's got to be the rowing. As well as any sailing events - and off the coast of GB in 2012, well, let's just say it'll be funny to watch the contestants from the tropics fall in the sea laugh.gif Also, the fact that it's always pretty horrible for small craft round the British coast means we know how to handle it better.

That and the track events, especially the quick ones. It's the chance to jump up and down, shouting gibberish (that might be an athlete's name) and cheering wildly when someone wins - even if it's the wrong person.

yoda, biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.