Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Order Of The Phoenix
Harry and Ginny > Make Yourself At Home > General discussion
LizWeasley221
With the release date of Half Blood Prince announced, I decided to pick up Order of the Phoenix again...

... Only to be met by a brain that couldn't grasp the book. I have no interest, absolutely no want to read this book again. I don't exactly know what has put me off, but it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

This happening to anyone else? Is it just excitement for the 6th books or is there still a love for the 5 previous? Hm...

Drie
I found that it worked best for me when I re-read the entire series. I was going on momentum of the previous 4 books and I found myself picking up information in Book 5 that I hadn't realized before.

Anyone else?
Willow
Ive been met with the same problem, i just cant be bothered reading the 5th book again. Id happily pick up book 1,2,3,4 but i cant seem to want to read book 5. NOt because its so long i dont think, but because its a lot of babble for a few hundred pages, didnt anyone else find this?
Jerry
I personally think that because the 5th book is much "darker" and unnerving than the other four, most people find it hard to read by itself, without a taste of one of the others, lighter books. That's how I feel.

...but because its a lot of babble for a few hundred pages, didnt anyone else find this?

The sixth book is rumored to be about the size of PoA. That's a lot less than OotP, so there'll probably not be much room for babble, me thinks.

Yoda
QUOTE (Jerry @ Mar 1 2005, 12:13 AM)
I personally think that because the 5th book is much "darker" and unnerving than the other four, most people find it hard to read by itself, without a taste of one of the others, lighter books. That's how I feel.

I think Jerry's spot on with that assessment. When surrounded by the fun and excitement of Harry's first three years, the first books are an easy read. The fourth book began to get darker, with plots outside of Hogwarts becoming more involved. Then the fifth book signalled the spiral of events beyond the control of all the central characters - and that's where it becomes scary.

' course, if you're slightly maniacal yourself, it makes the book more fun, and I can't help but reread Book V quite frequently - the plotting is fantastic, the new characters are great and the old characters thrive. I do like a bit of darkness in my reading, that's why even though Stephen King's books scare the living hell out of me, I think he's one of the most brilliantly effective writers around today (besides JKR) for creating a readable atmosphere.

yoda, with 2 cents
hockeygod
My favorite book is the fifth book. I love it to death, but I do get a little choled up at the end. I like it best because Harry acts like a teenager. He is moody and snaps at little things. It happens a lot at his age, my age, and it made the fifth book more real in my eyes. We didn't have little Harry the Hero, but a young man desperate to save the person he loves most. I thought it was awesome, but thats just my opinion.
sockless
I absolutly love the 5th book. I can read it over and over again, which is rather pathedic but i dont care. Every time I read it I pick up a new little tid but that I missed the last time. I agree with hockeygod. Il est tres bein
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.