Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Triss, A Tale of Redwall, by Brian Jacques
Harry and Ginny > Make Yourself At Home > General discussion
Yoda
Besides Pratchett, Rowling and the Star Wars authors, the only other author I buy consistently is Jacques, and for good reason. Yes, technically, the books are aimed at younger children - but who says I have to mentally grow up when I want to read?

Triss is his fourteenth novel in the Redwall series and is stunning as the rest of them. As always it revolves around the basic idea of a quest uniting groups from his world. Usually they come from Mossflower Woods, an evil place [and they're everywhere], and Salamandastron, [say that ten times fast] the home of the badger lords.

That's the other thing, if you've never read a Brian Jacques book, the best part [and why I love them so much] is that all the characters are animals - usually woodland creatures but with some others thrown in. The Abbey of Redwall is home to the mice, shrews, moles, hedgehogs, squirrels and other 'gennelbeasts'. The characters opposing them are usually weasels, foxes, stoats and ferrets, although their leader tends to be more impressive, such as a wildcat or wolf.

This time our three bands of adventurers are the young friends, Scarum, Kroova and Sagax of Salamandastron, the mishevious dibbuns [ickle kids] of Redwall, and Triss with her two companions - escapees from the prison island of Riftgard. It is there that the villains of the piece live, the albino ferret ruler Agarnu, and his children [one of whom, the daughter, really does portray evil] Kurda and Bladd.

But there is another sinister villain who I refuse to tell you about, but here's a clue if you've read 'Redwall': Assssssmodeusss.

As always fate unites the three groups, eventually bringing Triss to Redwall where she must take her place as prophecised by the legendary Martin the Warrior. When she does, her new found friends and the inhabitants of the abbey will face the new evil - one that threatens them all...

Triss like all of Jacques's books is a pleasure to read, not only is there action and drama, there's a bit of romance and songs that challenge the Sorting Hat for originality. And there's always a riddle, admittedly this time it's more like solving the cover of Artemis Fowl, but it's great fun if you've got the patience to solve it. Or you could let the character's solve it. I personally go for the characters, they seem to know what they're doing...maybe not the dibbuns though.

If you read, enjoy!

Yoda
nome
Oh, yeah! I still haven't finished the Redwall books I have! (I have all but the newest, and haven't managed to find time to even get through Mariel, but so far they're SUPER)

Asmodeus! One of the best parts of his books!

I'd say his books are on par with the rest of my favorite authors, including Tolkein, Eddings, and Anthony, all groundbreakers on creating worlds. The moment I started "Redwall" (the book), I was sucked in. I enjoyed every single word.

btw, did anyone notice a couple coincidences between it and Harry Potter? I found similar stuff in other books... but the Redwall one kind of weirded me out: One of the invading rats, called Wormtail, lost a paw. It wasn't huge, but I find it interesting how author's imaginations can overlap.

~Nome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.