Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dragonriders of Pern
Harry and Ginny > Make Yourself At Home > General discussion
Clinton
allright, anyone who reads the pern series, speak up, and tell us what you think of what book. Remember, try keep spoliers to a minimum, and have fun.

for me, I think that I have read everything in the pern series, though I am sure that I have missed one or two here and there

I have read:

Main Timeline
Dragonflight
Dragonquest
The White Dragon
All the Weyrs of Pern
The skies of pern

Harper Hall (Parallel to dragonflight, dragonquest, and the white dragon)
Dragonsong
Dragonsinger
Dragondrums

The Renegades of Pern (one book, parallel from the beginning of the present pass, to the beginning of All The Weyrs of Pern)

The Dolphins of Pern (parallel From the middle of All the Weyrs of pern, to somewhere in The Skies of Pern)

Prequels
Dragonsdawn (Arrival on pern)
Dragonseye (beginning of the second pass)
Moreta: Dragonlady of pern (dont remember how long after landing, but details Moreta's ride)
The MasterHarper of Pern (Details the life of Robinton from birth, to the point we are first introduced to him in Dragonflight)

I think that covers it, If I have forgotten any that I have read, I shall edit this post, and post another in this thread to inform people that I have edited.

Everyone else post what you have read, and discuss what your favourite is.

for me, I'd be hard pressed to choose a favourite, but I love the Harper Hall Trilogy, and the MasterHarper of Pern.
IMHO, the Harper Hall is the best crafthall there is smile.gif

CCC
Sparkosity
I've also read all of the Pern books, and love them all to death! My favorites are probably Dragonsinger, Dragonsdawn, and The Masterharper of Pern, although it's very hard to decide on just a few!

-Carlin
Clinton
did I list them all??

I thought that I had missed one or two here and there

any more mccaffrey books you have read>

I also like the ship who sang series, and the petaybee trilogy.

I'll list the books later when I can string two whole thoughts together (IE, when I wake the hell up)

CCC
Robert
BTW DRAGON"S KIN the new book is due out next week.

Robert thumbup1.gif thumbup1.gif
Sparkosity
I know! I am so excited!

-Carlin biggrin.gif
Robert
BWT, you missed Nerilka's Story and the two Chose Your Way books by (I think) Judy Lynn Nye

Robert
Willow
am i the only one that doesn't know wot ur on bowt? laugh.gif
Clinton
QUOTE (RJOCL12 @ Dec 2 2003, 09:47 AM)
BWT, you missed Nerilka's Story and the two Chose Your Way books by (I think) Judy Lynn Nye

Robert

nay, and I need to

OOOOH, NEW BOOK, NEW BOOK!!!!

I wonder if it continues past the skies of pern

oh, I forgot to mention the chroncles of pern -- first fall

read that, and it clears up a lot of mysteries of why some holds are named what they are and other unresolved stuff from the main series, or dragonsdawn.

CCC
hockeygod
What is the Pern Series? What is it about?
Della_Luna
I'm with Jennie and hockeygod here...what are these books?

If they're as good as they seem I'll definitely want to give them a try!
hockeygod
Me too!!!
Willow
QUOTE (hockeygod @ Dec 27 2003, 01:12 AM)
Me too!!!

me three.

Sooooo? what are they about? unsure.gif
Clinton
read 'em and find out, dears.

they're words. in a big long line. forming sentences and paragraphs. and they mercifully end.

CCC
hockeygod
thank-you ever so much for that Clinton. now, someone that isn't in a nasty mood can give us a brief synopsis.
allyk
I have only read 5 or 6 of the books, but they are a series about the world Pern. The people of Pern live in holds, each under the protection of one of the Weyrs (there is a lot of vocab...I'm not sure if I've got it all straight). The Weyrs are where the dragons and their riders live. The dragon chooses the rider, and they are bonded: one usually doesn't survive without the other. Dragons and the dragonriders fight Thread, which falls from the sky and eats (?) anything alive. My favorite Pern books are the Harper Hall trilogy, Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, and Dragondrums...I think they are aimed at a younger audience. I haven't read any books by Anne McCaffrey in a while though...thats the best summary I can give. Each mini-series within the universe is about something different.

~ally
hockeygod
Thanks allyk. See, Clinton, that's all we wanted. (hockeygod, off to buy Dragonsong.)
Clinton
hockeygod, dont buy dragonsong first, buy dragonflight, dragonquest, and the white dragon

buy dragonsong, dragonsinger, and dragondrums next

they parallel dragonflight, et al, and you really need to read dragonflight etc. to understand the dragonsong etc (commonly known as the harper hall trilogy)

and I wasnt in a bad mood, I just figger its more fun to find out yourself.

the entire series really isnt a series, its rather convoluted and strange and bizarre the way things intertwine and stuff like that

well, thats all
now to start an orson scott card ender series thread.

CCC
Robert
Jennie,

if you haven't read McCafrey's books then yuo've really missed something. They are FANTASTIC!

My favorite character is Master Robinton.

BTW, I've met Anne McCaffrey & got her autograph in one of my books. It was right after she finished writing All the Weyrs of Pern and had just sent it off to the publishers. We (the crowd at the bookstore) immediately volunteered to proofread it!

Glen Echo Theatre in the Washington DC area also did a theatrical play of Dragonsinger, which I went to opening night. Mrs McCaffrey even said the girl playing Menolly had her exactly as she envisioned the character.

I also have the very rare 1984 Dragonrider's calender featuring art by the Hildebrant brothers.

Robert thumbup1.gif thumbup1.gif
Clinton
hehehe
I, too, love Master Rob, though I really like Menolly and Piemur as well.

it'd be hard to pick a favourite character, but if I had to, it'd be......dunno.....bah!

CCC
Entropy
I'm assuming this isn't a touchy-feeling , never disagree board, but if it is just shoot me. I dare you.

I have read about half of the Pern stories (not in several years, mind you, but I have) and I was wondering if I was the only one who felt that McCaffrey's writing changed massively. I remember being irritated that when she would bring in characters from her other books their personalities would have changed a lot. I actually stopped reading the series after..... hmmmmmm, I don't remember the title and I don't know how to describe it without a major spoiler.
The one(s) where they brought in the lovely computer that fixes everything(or tries to). Also when she killed off one of the characters who's personality (in my opinion) she _didn't_ change. *Sigh* That was definately a throw-at-the-wall book, and not in a good way.
By the way, anyone want to make bets on whether or not they will ever make the t.v. series? I'm kinda hoping not.
hockeygod
Thanks for that opinion Entropy. I have never read the books, and was contemplating if I want to. If I decide to I'll be on the lookout for changing personalities.
Entropy
No problem. I would definately suggest reading a few, especially if you're just branching widely into scifi/fantasy. I just wouldn't buy any hardcovers of them without a read; there are books I would suggest more worth the money. I'd also suggest reading one of the first several (that she wrote, not chronologically).
Clinton
I havent read the latest one yet, since I am too pake to spring for the hardcover. It was written with the help of her son, so I am not sure how it will be.

as for writing style changing, that's only understandable when one ages, and views and opinions change. As for the death of in the first "computer" book, it was understandable, and I cant say more without the spoiler bbcode tag.

CCC
Entropy
I'm not talking writing style so much (the changes I saw with that were to the better), I'm talking about the fact that when she would bring some of her characters back in after a while they would be completely different people. (Of course I got in an argument about that with someone last night and they gave me an _almost_ acceptable reason. )
And as for the death, it was understandable and I'll admit I saw it comming, it was just that that happened to be just about the only character I still felt made the series worth reading.
Entropy
Interesting thing happened today. Mind you, I haven't touched the PERN books for years, but when I came home I found a copy of Dragon's Kin sitting on the table for me to read. I skimmed it... not too bad, but I didn't read it closely enough to place it on the little 'timeline'.

Just felt like sharing that
~Entropy
hockeygod
Whoa, that's a little freaky. Any idea how the book got on the table?
Entropy
My Mum said she grabbed it for me when she saw it on the 'New Book' shelf. She does that occasionally (it's been a very long time since I've read any of the ones that she's grabbed, but she tries). *Sigh* Returning to my agonizing decision over which book to order from Amazon now (it's finally down to 3).

~Entropy
Roxanne
I love the Pern books too, from WAY back. I have the first mass-market paperback editions of the first trilogy in the series (Dragonflight, Dragonquest, and The White Dragon).

I think one reason the computer seems so abrupt is that we as readers tend to get lost in the dragons and the medieval lifestyle and forget we're reading science fiction. I love "lost colony" stories (since I live in North Carolina, where there's a real-life one in our history), and to me, the computer and what followed brought the story full-circle, back to its origins and the prologue of the first book.

Robert, I'm so jealous that you've actually met the author! Ms McCaffrey is like a bellwether for me - if I see a blurb by her on another author's book, I'm almost sure to like it.

I don't have the last few in the series yet. I got sidetracked onto her Rowan series for a while.

Ignotus
I've only read one of the series. Why? Can't find any of the others! 868.gif
Robert
If you haven't found them its because you haven't looked hard enough. Check any used book store, I can gaurantee you'll find some copies.
Ignotus
But I've looked everywhere on the internet, and in my small town.. . . . .we only have ONE bookstore (B-A-M)

Even when I travel I look. . . .never can find the Pern series. . . .
Robert
Books A Million doesn't carry the Dragonriders? Did you check with the store staff? Ask their customer service desk for help.

OKay, here are some suggestions.

Internet:

ABEbooks.com
Amazon.com (new or used books section)
Alibris

All are excellent book search engines.

Also, Barnes & Noble's site & Border's books site will have them

Robert (who knows something about finding hard to find books)
Ignotus
Hey, I live in a small town in Mississippi. Our B-A-M is unreasonably small ! I've checked just about every website I've heard of, but to no avail! Maybe they'll have it when I go to Oxford in Football Season.[ (Gooooooooooooooo Rebs!)
Entropy
Amazon.com carries at least some of the Pern books. I got two there myself.
Ignotus
ReallY?
I looked,
and looked,
& looked,
& looked,
but could not find,
a single book! biggrin.gif
Robert
I suspest that you're doing something wrong so here is a link to Amazon's site. Just select Books/Dragonriders of Pern for your search criteria nd you'll get about 90 items new & used.

Amazon.com

Robert cool.gif
Ignotus
I did! But at the time it said they didn't have any left or something of the sort. . . .In fact, I've been searching for so long I've even forgotten what order they're in. wallbash.gif Other times, my computer says something such as "This page can not be displayed". comp26.gif It's as if someone doesn't want me to read them!
Robert
Well I just checked the link above and there are plenty of copies available. Just open the link and click on books then search Dragonriders of Pern and enjoy!

Dragongquest
DragonFlight
The White Dragon
Dragonsong
Dragonsinger
Dragondrums
Renegades of Pern
All the Weyrs of Pern
Dragonseye
Moreta
Nerilka's Story
The Girl who heard Dragons
The Skies of Pern
The Masterharper of Pern
The Dolphins of Pern
The Chronicals of Pern: First Fall
Dragon's Kin
The People of Pern (art)
The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern 2nd ed
A Gift of Dragons

There are also two short stories (1 each) in the Legends of Sci-fi books

And the short story The Littlist Dragonrider' in To Fly Pegasus.

And don't forget the three Choose Which Way books McCaffrey wrote with Jody Lyn Nye
Ignotus
Thanks! And I was talking about last time I checked.
JulietP
This might sound odd and strange but I read all the books through the Library because they can order them for you. Has anyone read the newest one Dragonsblood? It's a good book but I'm not sure if I like it as much as the others.

I havent noticed any characters changing but I read them over a long time and slightly out of order blushing.gif whoops
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.