Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The NaNo's progress
Harry and Ginny > Make Yourself At Home > General discussion > The Writers' Well
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Imogen
I've got off to a decent start, all things considered. I've posted just over 2,600 words and I've got another 2,000 done on the computer ready for posting tomorrow. Having said that, I think my brain is about to start oozing out of my ears, but I'll push on to get the whole 5000 done before I stop.

10% down.

Morale is pretty variable right now. The writing's going well but the imp of dread is telling me that it's rubbish.

How's everyone else's first day gone? Emma looks like she was a total star on her all-nighter!

Imogen smile.gif
fizzingwhizbee
*tries not to fall asleep on keyboard*
Whee, I'm awake really biggrin.gif wrote up until 6am entirely caffeine- fuelled, and then did another 1000 or so words today after a few hours sleep smile.gif I'm now over the 5k mark- 5052 words, whoo - and trying not to write more on it when I should be doing other things, like an english essay and revision for a french test. I just hope it doesn't all come crashing down when I'm back at school and have homework every night, eep. I've stopped ish for the night now, and am revising for a couple of tests that I have next week, but if I get enough revision done I might try and sneak up to 6000 before bed wink.gif
bart
QUOTE (fizzingwhizbee @ Nov 1 2003, 09:12 PM)
I'm now over the 5k mark- 5052 words

you know showing off is not a virtue tongue.gif

got a 600 word prolouge written today during my work breaks, and about 550 words into my first proper chapter this evening, at least I have tomorrow off to get some words down

bart
nome
I'm afraid I must now claim the award for least words written. Time for the wet noodle -- 191.

But, an interesting-to-write 191. I had a severely angsty day: stuck without plot, characters, or any pleasure at all in writing. Imogen can attest to this. So, this is a step forward.

I'll just have to write extra tomorrow. wink.gif I'd appreciate any comments y'all might have if you find time to take a peek. Kind souls are rewarded with a glimpse of the pear.

Nome, feeling spazzy.
Imogen
Robert looks like he's storming ahead too. Woohooo! Keep going everyone!

At lunchtime today I hit the 5317 mark, and posted the next update. I'm planning on writing for a few hours this afternoon for another couple of thousand words, before taking a necessary break to mark some exercise books for school!

Hoping to be about halfway through chapter 3 by the end of today...

Imogen unsure.gif
Helen
I have 2,811 - with a lot of padding - and an old kinda report I did in it but I am pretty confident doing stuff like that is the only way I will complete it.

I am also taking an exercise book with me to college - using breaks to scribble bits. ANd plan for further on!
bart
after tring my self to the computer for a couple of streaches today managed to push it to 4051, another day off work tomorrow to work on giving myself some leeway

Bart confused1.gif crybaby.gif bag.gif teehee.gif
Shimmer
At this moment I have 2,645 words posted, but in my trusty word document, I have 2,707! Not much of a difference, I know, but I still think it's impressive, lol. Am bringing notebook to school tomorrow, in order to finally make History a bit more productive, lol.
Good luck, all!

Shimmer
bart
5000+ words in and my fic now has a name biggrin.gif

"Thunder & Rainbows" which is also a track by Martyn Joseph. And hopefully fits what I intend to do to poor Harry this summer.
Imogen
Just approaching 8500 now. I was tempted to do a bit more tonight, but I've reached a natural stopping place.

I'm actually glad I've got a bit of writing in hand as I've got an open evening to attend tomorrow night and if I have to be there for the whole thing I'll be lucky to get anything written at all! At least I've got the first half of chapter 3 ready to post regardless!

If tomorrow night's not too bad, I'm optimistic about hitting the 10,000 word (20%) mark before bed.

I'm still thinking this is completely insane, but it's a lot of fun too!

Imogen blink.gif teehee.gif
Drie
Bart and Imogen, your progress is incredible! thumbup1.gif

Great news for you both. I'm enjoying your stories very much, and I'm glad that you are comfortable with posting your work immediately for all of us to enjoy.

Smiles,
Adrienne (Drie)
bart
QUOTE (Drie @ Nov 3 2003, 09:37 PM)
Bart and Imogen, your progress is incredible!  thumbup1.gif

Great news for you both.  I'm enjoying your stories very much, and I'm glad that you are comfortable with posting your work immediately for all of us to enjoy.

Smiles,
Adrienne (Drie)

comfortable is not quite the word I would use tongue.gif , but thanks for the comments they really do help biggrin.gif

bart
rdehwyll
On the 1st -- 6675 words
Since then -- WRITERS BLOCK!!! AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!! bag.gif
Shimmer
3,227....why do I have half as much as everyone else? *dies*

Shimmer blushing.gif
nome
How is it going? let's see...

horribly, awfully, badly, terribly, abominably, awkwardly, blunderingly, carelessly, clumsily, crudely, defectively, erroneously, faultily, feeble, haphazardly, imperfectly, incompetently, ineffectively, ineptly, maladroitly, negligently, poorly, shoddily, stupidly, unfavorably, unfortunately, unsatisfactorily, unskillfully, unsuccessfully, weakly, wrongly, dreadfully, agonizingly, arduously, awkwardly, burdensomely, cumbersomely, cumbrously, difficultly, distressingly, exhaustingly, gruelingly, hardly, harshly, inconveniently, laboriously, painfully, ponderously, roughly, strenuously, tiredly, toilsomely, unwieldily, scruffily, shabbily, unhappily...

How many other ways should I say it?

Nome, exhausted, busy, stressed, lacking time, lacking inspiration, and sporting a word count of 1065.
Imogen
But we're all making progress and that's the important thing. I know there are some insane people at the NaNo site who are probably finished by now, but we're getting there!

Don't worry about the writers' block, Robert. Try some random writing on something else, or ignore it for a couple of days. There was a site JK (Ashavah) gave me the link to once that had some excellent advice on writing. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Keep plugging away! We can do it!

Imogen smile.gif
Kaleidoscope Eyes
EEK!

I've done a measly 2747 words, but am quite pleased with my progress. I wrote that in about 4 hourse yesterday and about 1/2 an hour today. Didn't do ANY writing on 1st & 2nd, I was too busy.

If I keep going at this rate, I should be able to keep on track. I hope.

Fingers crossed!

Xaphania
ancarett
6,154 words to date. I switched writing subjects at the last minute and am making up the murder mystery as I go along. "First draft," I keep saying as I fumble through the writing itself. That makes it a lot more bearable!
bart
Well as the sig says I've managed to push it to 7326 which is just a little ahead of where I should be biggrin.gif Smug, Self Satisfied, Me? ask again in a week when I'm stuck on 7327 blink.gif.

Next bit is now up and with a minor cliffie to tide you over while I go and burn Guy Fawkes tomorrow night instead of writing.

bart devil.gif
Imogen
Got home at 9.30pm last night and managed to type up most of chapter 3 that I'd written during a couple of breaks at work. I've got a bit left to finish from that for tonight's posting, and then I've hit the 10,000 mark.

It feels like a huge milestone!

Imogen smile.gif (who must update her sig)
b4zookajules
Is it seriously the 5th November?? Man. I was so convinced it was the 4th. sad.gif

But still, I'm going pretty well, considering the fact I have literally no plot to work with at all. tongue.gif I worked out my characters' histories, then totally ignored having to plot out the actual story. I was feeling quite confident, but then when I sat down on November 1st I suddenly realised I had no idea what I could write. laugh.gif So, so far I've been winging it, but it's gone quite well. I hit the 10 000 mark last night!! biggrin.gif

I'm completely unmotivated to write anything at all at the moment, but hopefully I'll get back into the groove a bit later. smile.gif

My best tip so far is to just write about totally insane things. If it starts raining, don't just write that it's raining - write the characters' opinion on rain, whether they like or hate it, and possibly have it remind them of something that happened in the rain in their past. It sounds silly, but it's really topped up my count. I had about 1-200 words about rain yesterday, and its lovely habit of turning up whenever you've not got an umbrella, then buggering off if you're completely prepared. tongue.gif

My biggest problem at the moment, though, is how awkward my characters are with each other. It's not such a bad thing because it's how they're meant to be, but halfway through my third chapter and I have no idea how I'm going to break the ice. tongue.gif Any tips?

Good luck all!! smile.gif I fully intend to read everyone's novel, but for the moment I really have no time to. Hopefully I'll get the time soon smile.gif

-Jules. xxx
Imogen
Just in case anyone's wondering, my update will be a bit later than usual today. I'm doing a bit of 'catch up' from the late night last night and want to get chapter 3 completed before I post it.

Check back about 10pm UK time (5pm Eastern) and there'll be a chapter posted!

Imogen (plodding onwards) starwars.gif
nome
*points happily at her subject line for today's blog* Having accepted that I probably lack the time/energy/willpower to properly finish, I am on the road to nano-self-actualization, and am going to happily not care if I manage to write on such-and-such day.

More time to review y'alls, wot? I'm behind.
Imogen
I've started procrastinating. Can someone please kick me. I need to write.

Imogen blink.gif blink.gif
Willow
*kicks imogen up butt to get her motivated*

ouch! that hurt my foot laugh.gif
Imogen
Owww! That was too hard. I can't sit down now

Imogen tongue.gif
bart
Couple of quiet nights on the writing front [Bonfire night party last night and working late tonight] but i have managed a quick outtake, that may or may not help you indentify the visitor devil.gif

bart teehee.gif
Kaleidoscope Eyes
I'm quite pleased with my progress, I am at a total of 5334, which is 11%.

This seems quite small compared with what a lot of people have done, but I've got the day off from school today, and it's the weekend tomorrow, so I hope to get a lot of writing done.

Keep up with the writing everyone! We will do it!

bart
10,550 words

sorry just need to shout that out biggrin.gif

bart
Imogen
I've had a disasterous end to the week where I've got virtually nothing written. It wasn't even procrastination for a change, just a lot of late nights at work for either me or the hubby and I've been far too tired to write.

Going to spend time on it across the weekend and blister through chapters 4 and 5... *crosses fingers*

Imogen crybaby.gif
nome
...is it just me, or have Imogen and Bart both stayed up really late tonight? According to your away messages you're nanoing, so we'd better see some serious word counts soon! wink.gif

I have no time to write anything today! And I really want to. wallbash.gif! wallbash.gif! wallbash.gif!
bart
10,000+ words isn't a serious word count? *walks away shaking head* crybaby.gif

bart teehee.gif

fish.gif <<<< bart and imogen attacking nome biggrin.gif
Drie
QUOTE (nome @ Nov 7 2003, 02:47 PM)
...is it just me, or have Imogen and Bart both stayed up really late tonight?

laugh.gif I was thinking the same thing!

Love the updates guys . . . happy writing!

lilsocks.gif
Imogen
LOL We were secretly procrastinating together on IM wink.gif

Thanks for the encouragement. I don't think either story would be coming on as well as they are without you all smile.gif

I've hit the 25% mark shortly after posting tonight. It's feeling good! Spirits are lifting. Maybe I can do this...

Imogen smile.gif
bart
QUOTE (Elenarda @ Nov 8 2003, 08:38 PM)
Thanks for the encouragement. I don't think either story would be coming on as well as they are without you all smile.gif

Imogen smile.gif

Hear! Hear!

Many thanks from this keyboard biggrin.gif

Bart

[edit] at this point, making typo's for fun biggrin.gif
Imogen
Have hit the 30% mark today or 15,000 words. I've finished 4 out of 16 chapters, so everything seems more-or-less on target. I'm on the very edge of making the 50,000 words by the end of the month if I keep up this pace, so really I need to speed up a bit in case things go wrong like they did last week.

35,000 words to go.

Heck, this is scary!

Imogen ohmy.gif
bart
Dropped back a little today with only 1000 words (*) written tonight, but I hit a natural stopping point and would not have got the next section done in the same sitting, but still 13,850 WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

bart
(*) who knows he is going mad when he starts refering to 1000 words as only......
Shimmer
*breathes*
I just got back from my mini-break, and I realise that I only have 5,400 words. Thats just a tad more that 10%. Ten percent? Thats a third of what I should have at this point! Will write all through history and french and lunch tomorrow if at all possible...*dies*

I think I need a hug.
Or at least some encouragement

Shimmer crybaby.gif (so many words, so little time!!)
Imogen
hug.gif Shimmer.

Come on - you can do it! Get typing away with the next bit, and we'll read it!

Imogen cool.gif
nome
QUOTE (Shimmer @ Nov 9 2003, 06:52 PM)
I think I need a hug.
Or at least some encouragement

*glomps*

You're doing wonderfully -- much, much further along than I am. (too many crises at once! Two church events to rehearse, three shows, strike party, grandparents coming down, grandparents house robbed, school schtuff to do, behind in photography...)

Just keep going! thumbup1.gif Every word is another bit. It wouldn't matter if you only wrote one a day, and ended up with 30 words at the end of the month -- nano would still have been a success, 'cause you tried, and had some fun doing it.

*rooting for all y'all*

Nome.
Imogen
1695 words today - just above the minimum level for a day's writing. That'll do me nicely.

Er... that brings me up to somewhere in the region of 17000 words now - 34% ish.

More tomorrow.

Apparently (according to the NaNo newsletter) this week is the one from the pits of hell. It's where all of the enthusiasm evaporates and it becomes a bit of a slog. Always cheery to know that wink.gif

Imogen blink.gif
bart
2155 words from me today, though it was a day off from work so I was hoping for more but it does bring me nearly back on track, so I have no compaints biggrin.gif

from the nanowrimo pep talk:

and shake our heads pityingly at friends and family members who wasted their Novembers on empty pursuits like conversation, bathing, and sleep.

oh, how so true biggrin.gif

bart
Shimmer
Thank you all for your support! I guess this really is the bad week, lol. I now have 7870 words, which is still half of what I should have at this point, but it's still more than I had an hour ago which I guess is an improvement, lol. I'm going to try to double that number after dinner, wish me luck!

Shimmer teehee.gif
bart
QUOTE (Shimmer @ Nov 11 2003, 11:13 PM)
Thank you all for your support! I guess this really is the bad week, lol. I now have 7870 words, which is still half of what I should have at this point, but it's still more than I had an hour ago which I guess is an improvement, lol. I'm going to try to double that number after dinner, wish me luck!

Shimmer teehee.gif

Your doing great, well done! notworthy.gif

bart
bart
Manage 2200+ words today, which has pulled me back on target, so am now dancing round room in an overly pleased with myself sort of way.

And Drie you will be pleased to know there is no cliffhanger at the end of this one

bart bag.gif
Drie
jump.gif
Yay! I can partially climb up from the edge of the cliff . . . now I've got to work on Imogen!

thumbup1.gif
ancarett
Today's wordcount stands at a mere 573. In my defense, I finally got my marking assistant to courier back the parts of the midterms he graded so I'm collating tests, recording grades and getting it all together instead of getting to play. Back to the marking so I can hopefully bump up my wordcount later (though when it comes to editing time in December I am going to throw out most of chapter three -- blech!).
Imogen
I had a bad day yesterday as well. I managed 1200 words before I fell asleep (hence the lack of posting), so I'm going to have to catch up a lot tonight.

Good news is that I've not got a full day teaching today so I shouldn't be as tired.

Well done to Shimmer!

Keep going everyone. We can do it!

Imogen smile.gif
Imogen
I;ve got to confess, I'm really struggling right now. It's not so much the plot or the ideas, but it's a desperate lack of time. I'm working, I'm trying to pack up the house so we can move, I've got my thesis and I'm trying to do NaNoWriMo.

I feel like I'm about to crack.

I can do it. I can....

Imogen blink.gif
Drie
QUOTE (Elenarda @ Nov 12 2003, 12:53 PM)
I'm working, I'm trying to pack up the house so we can move, I've got my thesis and I'm trying to do NaNoWriMo.

I feel like I'm about to crack.

I can do it. I can....

Imogen blink.gif

Imogen, you don't also go by the name Hermione Granger, do you? I think it is fair to cut yourself a lot of slack during the week!

Good luck with everything . . . wish I could be of more help. hug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.