Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you like?
Harry and Ginny > Make Yourself At Home > General discussion > The Writers' Well
nome
Since I'm happily without plot, I've been thinking a lot about what I might write for nano. I can come up with a lot of generally good plots off the top of my head, but most of them are rather formulaic, without anything particularily special (plot-wise, that is. I've read plenty of cliche-plotted books with such tremendous characterication or somesuch that I love them anyway). I'd like to get some input.

What sort of books, stories, etc. do you like but don't see often? Any plot elements you think are essential? Prefer male or female protaganists? Like a lot of characters, or juse a few main ones?
Imogen
I'm a big mystery and detective fiction fan. I think that's what I spend a large bulk of my non-PhD time reading. My PhD is in children's fantasy, so you can see my leanings towards that sort of genre as well. Interestingly enough, I hardly ever read romance novels. Make of that what you will wink.gif

For some inexplicable reason I've mostly stuck with writing male protagonists, although having Hope as a main character is just gorgeous.

As far as NaNo goes, I've got another female lead character, with lots of minor characters and only one other strong supporting character. I'm not planning on making it too difficult for myself by needing to develop loads of people properly. I am, however, working really hard on the subplot because otherwise this is going to be so fluffy and sugary it'll make your teeth rot.

Is your street idea not workable at all, or doesn't it appeal any more?

Imogen smile.gif
Robert
For what its worth, I like historical fiction (action adventure & mysteries) because you've got a ready made cast of characters & events. All you have to do is apply a little literary license and its away we go.

Robert thumbup1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.