Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Harry and Ginny > Make Yourself At Home > General discussion
nome
I'm reading out the the Ultimate (all the books in one), and have gotten to So Long, and Thanks For All the Fish. Fabulous, laugh out loud, sounds like the out GTCafe when it comes to sillyness, books.

but I'm having a hard time completing the series. thoughts?
Imogen
I first read the series when I was in Years 12 and 13 (17-18 years old) and found them totally hilarious. I cried laughing.

There is something about Douglas Adams humour that is slightly off beat and quirky that I loved. His explanations and asides to the reader are wonderful. On the downside, I was given the boxed set about 2 months ago, and although I've been reading and enjoying them, they're not as funny as they once were. I think my sense of humour may have changed, or maybe Terry Pratchett does the same things better. There's a definite comparison between the two authors, and maybe the comparison even extends to things becoming formulaic as the series progresses.

Then again, perhaps I'm being unfair?

Imogen smile.gif
MissBee
I've been trying to read the series... I'm up to one of the last ones... think the third... But I dunno it just draws on. I love listening to the radio series though! That's funky!
nome
where did you find that? I've never heard a single episode.
Zamnaii
I love them! I'm up to So Long and Thanks For All the Fish too and having a ball reading it! biggrin.gif I has the Ultimate too!
allie kiwi
Nome, I bought my boxed set of tapes from the abc shop in Australia - they stock quite a number of BBC radio plays and books on tape. They also sell from their online store. Hopefully this link works: HHGTTG on tape. If it doesn't got to: http://abcshop.com.au

Hope that helps.

Allie
twilight
I found them all halariously funny the first time I read them, but after that, they were still funny but not roll on the floor funny.
john
HHGTTG is still one of those books (well 5 books) that every few years cycles back into being read as its perfect for whenever you start spending long period travel from here to there.

I really do miss my hours (2x1.5hr per day) spent sat on the Bus travel to and from college, all the time in the world to read :book everything in sight and still get that coursework done before arriving.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.