Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: David Eddings
Harry and Ginny > Make Yourself At Home > General discussion
nome
Eddings... lots to say. excellent books.

I've read his Belgariad and Mallorean series (I place them next to Redwall, Tolkein, and Rowling), but haven't gotten my hands on the other books. anyone read them?

and I would LOVE a big discussion on his books.

~Nome
Runechild
I have long been a fan of the great David Eddings.

The Belgariad (5 books) and the Malloreon (also 5 books) are incredible epics of modern fantasy writing. Critically acclaimed bestsellers, and adored by his readership, these are truly books that you HAVE to read at some point in your life. In addition, the follow up books (Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress) are both amazing stories that serve to increase the pleasure of re-reading the others. Athough not a story per-se, The Rivan Codex (a collection of stories and authors notes from the series) is a must for anyone who is truly a fan of this series.

His greatest works (IMHO) however, are the Elenium and Tamuli trilogies. The Belgariad and Malloreon are Harry Potter-esque in that they follow an orphaned boy through the discovery of his magical powers and the fulfillment of his destiny (interesting to see how Ce'Nedra and Ginny, and Garion and Harry seem to share a few personality traits - there's a project for you: compare and contrast the Garion/Ce'Nedra relationship with Harry/Ginny, fully exploring the personality traits and comparing Cho to Zubrette biggrin.gif .)

The Elenium/Tamuli however are more adult books, focussing on older, more down to earth characters, and being a lot more plain speaking in their tone and humour. These are Eddings' greatest work so far, and are a must read for any fantasy fan.

Runechild.
ancarett
Ooookay, let's see, what can I add to the thread after my mind's been wasted on a Saturday with the kids?

I came to the Belgariad when the second in the series had been published. I'd seen a review of the first in a Star Wars fanzine that managed to propell me past my queasy "Not ANOTHER endless, generic fantasy series" and buy the first two books. Then I was hooked! I adore Eddings' humour and while sometimes he flirts on the edge of caricature (he has a hard time portraying female characters without going to one extreme or another), he has a deft hand at humanizing his party of heroes. It's also obvious that Eddings adores the wisecracking hardened-only-on-the-outside hero -- he really goes to town in the Elenium with this!

Speaking of characterizations, though -- it seems to me that Eddings has gotten into a bit of a rut with his last one-shot. The motley crew that comes together on the epic quest bears a strong resemblance to those of the Belgariad. He needs to shake that up a bit in future!

Edding has some clear ideas about mythic archetypes and storytelling -- this comes through more explicitly in the Mallorean, the Elenium and the Tamuli. I like to see that the author (or in this case, really, authors, since David Eddings has acknowledged his wife's active participation in writing) has some ideas about the mechanics of the game.

Anyway, the Eddings books are a staple on my bookshelf. I pull the lot out about once a year or so and re-read. There aren't many other authors that I keep coming back to so often (Austen, McKillip and so forth) so he has to be doing something right!
nome
I picked up the Elenium at a bookstore a day or so ago. I'll read them right away, and post reviews as they finish.

Nome.
nome
The Diamond Throne was most interesting, and I'm halfway through the Ruby Knight. The characters seem very different from his other world, and its an interesting change. The plot in Belgariad and Mallorean seemed more complex, but the Elenium feels more purposeful, and the characters more realistic. The B and M could be a little extreme in characterizations. (Like the females, as mentioned before.)
allie kiwi
I was given the Belgariad series as a leaving gift when I finished after school work at a bookstore, and went off to University. I swore a great swear that I would 'make them last'. Yeah right - I began reading on Friday night and didn't stop til I'd finished all 5. Only the first couple of the Mallorean had been published then, and I haunted bookstores waiting for each new one to come out.

At first I was put off by the high style writing of the prologues, but once I began the story proper I was hooked. Eddings has such a wonderful sense of humour, and you really get to know the people and places they inhabit. I love the characterisation in the stories, although I agree that the women are quite polarised. I really think I could meet Silk or Belgarath in the street and know what they would say!

To be honest, I read the Tamuli series and just could not get into them. I read them the once, having gotten them from the library, but I have never been inspired to get them out again, nor buy them. If I remember correctly, it was a silly reason that put me off. Is Sparrowhawk (I think that was the name) quite a lot older than Ariel? That is something that always irks me - a big age difference.

Yes, yes, I know that Polgara is a couple of thousand years older than Durnik, but that is different - she is older for a reason. (I'm inconsistent, I know wink.gif ) With Sparrowhawk and Ariel it is generational, rather than eons of living for a set purpose, and then a bride/husband at the end for a happy-ever-after ending. (Silk and Velvet irk for a simlar reason)

Allie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.