Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I've got butterflies
Harry and Ginny > Make Yourself At Home > General discussion > The Writers' Well
Imogen
It's getting nearer now and I've got this horrible squrmy feeling in my stomach that I'm just going to make a mess of this and fall flat on my face.

My plot is sorted but there are so many shaky details that I'm twisting myself inside-out with nerves. How am I going to magange this much writing in so short a time?

Imogen ermm.gif
Willow
easy....be imogen notworthy.gif notworthy.gif , you'll manage, bet everyone here thinks u'll do good teehee.gif, plus twisting urself inside out sounds rather ikky laugh.gif

besides why get so worried aint it just a bit of fun? and how long (ish) does it have to be?

jenni laugh.gif

Imogen
NaNoWriMo is 50,000 words in a month and I'm an editing fiend. Every chapter of mine you see has been edited several times, so the thought of posting something 'raw' is terrifying. I know how bad my first drafts are!

Anyone else scared out of their wits?

Imogen smile.gif
Willow
jawdrop.gif no way! i considered doing it, now i think id crumble and die...should i even try?
nome
No! Do not try. Only do. wink.gif

That is the worst quoting of Star Wars ever. I can quote nearly every line but that one. hmph.

Anyway, isn't the point of being online together to all fail at once? No one will care if your story is horrible, because their's will be even worse. Mine worst of all. devil.gif

So I've decided to throw nervousness out the window. Who needs it, anyway? I plan on being shamelessly awful.

Nome.
Isabella
Shamelessly awful, unabashedly dire... you name it, that's what I'm going for! fish.gif (Sorry, I've just really missed that emoticon!)

Imogen, I know what you mean about the editing. One of the reasons why I'm such a slow writer is that everything I write has to be word-perfect and phrased exactly right, virtually from the start. That's one of the reasons why I'm going to have a go at NaNoWriMo, to force myself simply to churn stuff out and actually write, without all the obsessive editing!

I'm quaking in my boots. tongue.gif
ancarett
Plot, who needs a stinkin' plot? I'm thinking of giving this a whirl, even though I am essentially a non-fiction writer. And in that capacity I often write 3000 words a day, so I know I can write that much in quantity.

But quality? Geez. That will be tough, especially with fiction, where I'm much less self-confident. I would prefer to have the luxury of one good edit before I post online, but we'll see.

Now I'm off to dabble some more with my plot ideas while preparing a Powerpoint presentation for my Western Civilization class. Good luck everyone, we'll do it, I know we will.
Willow
QUOTE (ancarett @ Sep 24 2003, 03:06 PM)
Plot, who needs a stinkin' plot?

lol! cant u just write and see what turns out at the end? well thats what im doing, seeing whatever idea pops into my head when i start and see wot i end up with laugh.gif

i agree also with nome on the point that we can fail together, if we fail, which hopefully you guys wont

jenni laugh.gif
Enna
Jenni, I did that last year. I only found out about NaNoWriMo a couple of days before November, but I really wanted to give it a go, so I just wrote what came into my head. I got a really good plot out of it (never mind that it'd already been used before whistling.gif ), although it needed work. I'm still undecided on whether to use it this year or not. :/

I'm also nervous about posting online...I'm normally really unhappy with my writing, even after I've edited it and left it for a while!

-Enna
Willow
woohooo my plan all comes together! laugh.gif
im sticking to writing whatever pops into ma head even if its a sucky idea:P

jenni
Enna
If you *can* think a bit before you start, it would be better, though. I did end up with a great plot, but the way I'd written it didn't fit very well, and I have a feeling it'll be a lot better this year.

Why not just write what comes into your head before November, and see if you can get a plot to plan now? I was disappointed with myself last year.

-Enna
Willow
hmmm.....a good idea, i might write a plot that come into my head before november, then if i get a better idea scrap the plot ive got

right got my final plan now

jenni sorcerer.gif
b4zookajules
I'm the same, Imogen - I read back through every line as soon as I've finished writing it, and edit everything to bits. >< I've always said I'm pickier than the world champion nose picker's finger. XP

So for me, that'll be tough to just *ignore* the bad bits. I doubt I'll be able to, but I'm going to give it a go. tongue.gif

And yeah, I've got a few butterflies in my stomach, as well as a handful of cornish pixies. I'm a bit more comfortable now because I totally scrapped my old plot and started again (and that's making me feel comfortable?! laugh.gif), and now have a plot which requires next to no research, and is more ... writewhatyouknowish than the other one. ^_^

*swats butterflies*

But yeah, I'd agree with Enna - PLAAANN. XD I don't know, but for me personally I'm thinking 1500 words every day is enough, without wasting time sitting there thinking your way through the plot. If you wanna have an even huger challenge, don't plan. But I reckon you should have at least the beginning, middle and end sorted. smile.gif

-Jules. xxx
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.