Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A cunning change of plan
Harry and Ginny > Make Yourself At Home > General discussion > The Writers' Well
Imogen
I might be rethinking what I'm writing about in November. The hubby pointed out that I've got a novel planned out already and wouldn't it make more sense to write that?

Gah! I hate it when he talks sense! rolleyes.gif

So, what I *might* do is write the Millie and Gregor prequel to the Elenarda series. This is stemming back to when Great Aunt Millie (as we see her in 'The Crimson Dawn') was a young girl and what happens when she breaks through into Elenarda.

I know Becky will appreciate it, because Gregor is part-elf, and it's something I've had on the back boiler for a while. Suppose I'd better get researching 1940s England a bit. Millie would have been a teenager through the war years, and although I know bits it's not a period of history I've ever studied.

Anyone know anything?

Imogen smile.gif
b4zookajules
laugh.gif, that would certainly make a lot of sense!! biggrin.gif

1940's though... *thinks hard* I'll go and have a look through my old History books later, and see if I can come up with anything for you. smile.gif

-Jules. xxx
nome
Don't know if you've considered this, but keep in mind:

Question: I keep running into online writer's forums, filled with people who have uploaded stories to the web, but never published. Does anyone ever get discovered this way?

OSC Replies: I don't think so. Or if they do, there's more to the story than that -- somebody had to recommend it to somebody else. The web is big, and few people who have any clout (i.e., publishers or editors) can afford time to go browsing stories that WEREN'T submitted to them.

Furthermore, if you put your story up on the web, that constitutes first publication. You can't then sell "first rights" to anybody, and first rights are usually all that anyone is willing to buy. Just a thought.

The only reason to upload a story on the web is if you're in a writing group online, and it's part of the commentary process. But to upload it for the general public, hoping to find readers -- that's publication.

(Orson Scott Card's "Uncle Orson's Writing Class", from his website, http://www.hatrack.com/ )

Nome
Shimmer
Hmm, all that I really know about the 1940s is limited to the clothes that they wore! But I'm sure there are some very informative sites out there that'll help you with that!

I decided my setting will take place on some small town on the Irish coast because my novelthing (lol) will be about Selkies. But...I've never been to Ireland, let alone anywhere on the Irish coast. Would anyone ne able to give me any information about that?

Shimmer
Imogen
Thanks Nome!

That's one of the reasons why 'The Crimson Dawn' isn't anywhere online, although a few people have seen a draft variant of it.

This prequel isn't designed to be submitted for publication anywhere, but it was intended to be posted here so people can at least get to know the world a bit in the hope that the actual series of books might get published one day. I don't think it's a good enough plot to make it into print anyway, although it's a very cute story!

Shimmer - Liz Weasley is your person to ask about Ireland ~ she's just been on holiday over there.

Imogen smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.