This trilogy really is a must for any fan of fantasy novels, particularly those with an interest in Norse mythology.

Synopsis
The Renshai are the most feared of all warrior races. When their enemies band together in an attack on their homeland, one Renshai escapes the genocide. Determined to keep the memory of his people alive and to claim vengeance, he may be doomed to become the Champion of the Great War.

Spanning three books ('Last of the Renshai', 'The Western Wizard', and 'Child of Thunder',) the series is an epic tale, although it may prove a little heavy for younger readers. Although set apart in its own fantasy world, Reichert's creation draws heavily from principles of Norse mythology and the Norse pantheon, with a few original philosophies thrown in for good measure.

One of the most compelling reads I've come across for a long while, I'd recommend this to anyone, although the follow up trilogy left me somewhat disappointed after the impact of the first. 'Children of Wrath' and its sequels seemed more like either a contract series, or one simply written for the sake of it - much in the same way that many fanfic authors are pressured into writing sequels simply because their readership asks for it, regardless of whether they have anything new to say. That should definitely not scare anyone away from the first however, which is truly a masterpiece of modern fantasy writing.

Runechild.