Reply to this topic    Start new topic
> What do you like?
nome
post Oct 27 2003, 07:31 AM
Post #1

Queen of the Bowling Alley

Group: Betas
Member No.: 8

Since I'm happily without plot, I've been thinking a lot about what I might write for nano. I can come up with a lot of generally good plots off the top of my head, but most of them are rather formulaic, without anything particularily special (plot-wise, that is. I've read plenty of cliche-plotted books with such tremendous characterication or somesuch that I love them anyway). I'd like to get some input.

What sort of books, stories, etc. do you like but don't see often? Any plot elements you think are essential? Prefer male or female protaganists? Like a lot of characters, or juse a few main ones?

"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." - Mark Twain

Nome's LJ
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Imogen
post Oct 27 2003, 08:46 AM
Post #2

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

I'm a big mystery and detective fiction fan. I think that's what I spend a large bulk of my non-PhD time reading. My PhD is in children's fantasy, so you can see my leanings towards that sort of genre as well. Interestingly enough, I hardly ever read romance novels. Make of that what you will wink.gif

For some inexplicable reason I've mostly stuck with writing male protagonists, although having Hope as a main character is just gorgeous.

As far as NaNo goes, I've got another female lead character, with lots of minor characters and only one other strong supporting character. I'm not planning on making it too difficult for myself by needing to develop loads of people properly. I am, however, working really hard on the subplot because otherwise this is going to be so fluffy and sugary it'll make your teeth rot.

Is your street idea not workable at all, or doesn't it appeal any more?

Imogen smile.gif

After her O.W.L.s Hope had managed to persuade her dad to give her a crash course in what he laughingly referred to as “Parseltongue for tourists”. Being in Slytherin, she’d thought it had been the epitome of cool to return to school with such useful snakey phrases as “Can you pass the apple pie, please?” and “Would you be good enough to tell me what time the train to Madrid departs from Platform Two?”
~ A Pensieve Affair ~ Now being posted...
+Quote Post
Robert
post Oct 28 2003, 09:09 AM
Post #3

King of Fluff

Group: Readers
Member No.: 1,914

For what its worth, I like historical fiction (action adventure & mysteries) because you've got a ready made cast of characters & events. All you have to do is apply a little literary license and its away we go.

Robert thumbup1.gif

Let's Go Generals!

Co-ed Naked Quidditch
When Catching the Golden Snitch isn't Enough IPB Image

Advice to remember: If you can't apologize to someone when you're in the wrong, don't expect them to respect you afterwards.

YOU WASH MY BACK AND.....
an smutty outtake to Imogen's A Pensieve Affair
“Don’t move,” his voice whispered, “Trust me.”

Hope felt a shiver of anticipation run through her body at Matthew’s words.

“I do,” was her only reply as she surrendered control of the seduction to him.

REFLECTIONS : a post PA story
George looked around and said, “We heard noises through the ceiling so we thought we’d come up and see you.”

“Yes,” added Fred, “funny thing is, though, in addition to the loud thumps we could have sworn we heard two different sets of footsteps.”

“Damn,” Hope thought, “we forgot to charm the floor!”

INVICTUS, Book 5 of the Carpe Diem Universe
The untold story of Harry's Sixth Year
+Quote Post

Reply to this topic    Start new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:59 PM