Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Closed Topic    Start new topic
> Creative Writing Workshop, Any takers?
ancarett
post Sep 21 2003, 09:47 PM
Post #16

Professor Binns in training

Group: Members
Member No.: 85

Just got back online after herding the cats, err kids, to the dinner table. About the workshops: my ideas of topics off the top of my head are setting and mood. It might also be fun to do a free association exercise where we're each set a few words and put together a scene or vignette from those.

-- Ancarett, who lives at ancarett.com
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Imogen
post Sep 22 2003, 06:34 AM
Post #17

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

I'll muse on it a bit today at work. I think mood might be a good one to kick off with.

Percival's been brilliant at posting odd words for us to do free writing from but I've been remarkably sloppy at keeping up with her. I think we might need to reinstate that as well.

Got to run - about to be late for work!

Imogen smile.gif

After her O.W.L.s Hope had managed to persuade her dad to give her a crash course in what he laughingly referred to as “Parseltongue for tourists”. Being in Slytherin, she’d thought it had been the epitome of cool to return to school with such useful snakey phrases as “Can you pass the apple pie, please?” and “Would you be good enough to tell me what time the train to Madrid departs from Platform Two?”
~ A Pensieve Affair ~ Now being posted...
+Quote Post
rdehwyll
post Sep 23 2003, 10:49 PM
Post #18

Incessant Writer and Reader

Group: Readers
Member No.: 1,561

Subject 1: Proper form for submissions (Professional)

Subject 2: Characterization

Subject 3: Outline plotting

more as they come to me.....

Robert Waldbauer

Writing is incredibly easy -- one just stares hard at the blank piece of paper until droplets of blood form on ones brow...

Life Instructor and History Maven by trade
+Quote Post
tipgardner
post Sep 24 2003, 01:04 AM
Post #19

Through the mirror

Member No.: 1,748

Great idea Imogen! There are very few of us (even lots of published authors) who can't do with plenty of improvement. Strong and/or natural dialogue would be a topic I would find interesting. It seems to be one of the weaker areas for most fiction writers and I do not consider myself to be anything approaching an exception.

Tip
+Quote Post
Yolanda
post Sep 24 2003, 02:26 PM
Post #20

Through the mirror

Member No.: 26

Here are some that might be good (remember, I didn't get a literature degree, so I don't always know the terms)

1. Writing in first person: good, bad? One of my favorite authors, Kazuo Ishiguro always writes in first person. (He wrote Remains of the Day.)

2. How to avoid using the narrator voice too much. In other words, showing something rather then telling it.

3. How many different points of view should you have in one story.

4. Dialogue.

I'd like to participate, although I may not be able to that often because of family obligations.

"I never thought I'd see the day. Abby, do you mean to tell me that Severus Snape's son is taken with Harry Potter's daughter? Hasn't there been enough evil in this world for one lifetime?"
Sirius Black in Unicorn Girl.
+Quote Post
Willow
post Sep 24 2003, 04:50 PM
Post #21

smells

Group: H&G Members
Member No.: 817

QUOTE (Yolanda @ Sep 24 2003, 02:26 PM)
3. How many different points of view should you have in one story.

i always get stuck on this one, its a good one to discuss by me smile.gif
different points of veiw, and how to swop from one to the other (if u understand what i mean) smile.gif

jenni

Proud member of the Red Trio

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Poetic
post Sep 24 2003, 05:51 PM
Post #22

Through the mirror

Member No.: 72

Writing Workshop eh? Yeeessss...the idea has merit....

We should hammer together the specifics on how we'll be conducting it. I like Imogen's initial idea of posting a piece of literature for everyone to read and comment on from a style/form point of view. Reading and analysing professionally written work is a fantastic way to improve your own writing skills, not just by seeing what professionals do well, but also by seeing what they do that's questionable.
Another bonus is that this sort of thing is a great way to expose yourself to a number of different styles and methods, things you wouldn't even think about even... so you learn how to discern and appreciate truly well-written work, which makes the reading experience all that much better

Just my two-cents worth :-D

Steve
+Quote Post
Imogen
post Sep 24 2003, 06:42 PM
Post #23

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

I think what I'll do is set up a separate forum for this, and post a chatroom/Yahoo group chat link in that.

My idea was to have extracts from an assortment of novels posted in a forum for people to look at and discuss with a particular focus. Maybe with a few questions to begin with. We can do that in the week to ten days before the workshop.

Then I was pondering about a chat session where we can really work on the skills. I could post that on the boards afterwards, so even people who can't go can see what we've done.

Then a follow up posting of our own writing, so that people can comment on it. Hopefully that would be in a supportive, critique sort of way, so we can all grow and learn from what we've been trying.

That was the threefold thing I was thinking of... Although I'm willing to take on board all suggestions.

Imogen sorcerer.gif

After her O.W.L.s Hope had managed to persuade her dad to give her a crash course in what he laughingly referred to as “Parseltongue for tourists”. Being in Slytherin, she’d thought it had been the epitome of cool to return to school with such useful snakey phrases as “Can you pass the apple pie, please?” and “Would you be good enough to tell me what time the train to Madrid departs from Platform Two?”
+Quote Post
thekillerpie
post Oct 2 2003, 08:15 PM
Post #24

Puzzling things out

Member No.: 2,067

Hi!

I would like to join up to a creative writing board, if you make one. I could do with some traning, since I like to write, and people tell me I have a good imagination.
If you need any crazy ideas, i can be sensible....sometimes, I would love to be part of the group!

TTFN

Phil

Started writing fanfiction sometime in the mid-afternoon, possibly around 3.00pm on the 3rd of April 2003.

My ff.net Profile
+Quote Post
Imogen
post Oct 3 2003, 06:08 AM
Post #25

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

I'm going to get this set up as soon as we've switched server and look at having the first 'live' session towards the end of October. I'll post extracts for discussion the week or so before that.

What times are going to be best for people? I know we've got a massive range of timezones so I don't mind doing it twice.

Imogen smile.gif

+Quote Post
nome
post Oct 3 2003, 04:36 PM
Post #26

Queen of the Bowling Alley

Group: Betas
Member No.: 8

*jumps up and down* I wanna play!

I don't always have a very dependable schedule, so available times vary. However, it's flexible.

"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." - Mark Twain

Nome's LJ
+Quote Post
Willow
post Oct 3 2003, 06:23 PM
Post #27

smells

would a live session be on a like a weekend for U.K time? or would it be during the week? detective.gif

XxX jenni XxX

IPB Image

+Quote Post
thekillerpie
post Oct 3 2003, 08:04 PM
Post #28

Puzzling things out

Member No.: 2,067

Weekends, mostly evenings, or mornings, say 10 - 11 ish in the morning, and 9pm + in the evening (UK time) thumbup1.gif

Started writing fanfiction sometime in the mid-afternoon, possibly around 3.00pm on the 3rd of April 2003.

My ff.net Profile
+Quote Post
Imogen
post Oct 4 2003, 07:41 AM
Post #29

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

I don't mind weekends or evenings. I'm in the UK as well, so the only thing that's really ruled out are American evenings because I'm asleep!

Although, having said that, James Bow is keen to get involved so maybe we'd be able to do two sessions between us, or something like that. I need to chat to him really!

I think on the whole that weekends would be slightly easier, or Friday nights.

Imogen smile.gif

+Quote Post
Willow
post Oct 4 2003, 09:44 AM
Post #30

smells

oh goody, weekends are good smile.gif smile.gif sorcerer.gif

XxX jenni XxX

IPB Image

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Closed Topic    Start new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:19 AM