Reply to this topic    Start new topic
> Help!, A question for you all
Shimmer
post Sep 16 2003, 11:11 PM
Post #1

Stealing socks

Group: Members
Member No.: 52

I posted this on the nanobeans LJ, but I'd thought I'd put it here too, for some additional advice. I'd really appriciate it if you gave me your opinion, because I need to know which one so that I can start planning more!

. The first story is one about Selkies, which I've always found really interesting. In this one, our heroine goes up on land against her sisters wishes and has a her skin stolen. She's forced to work as a servant for Mr.Kesia (our villian) and eventually she befriends Dylan, another servant. After finally trusting someone else (she's never really trusted anyone since her parents died and she's been rather selfish), Dylan tells her that he too is a selkie and as theyre both forbidden to look for their own skins, they look for eachothers. She finds Dylan's and he tells her that he'll look for hers, but she just wants him to be happy and to go into the ocean and not worry about her, but he finds her skin and they go back and she realises that he's the same seal that she's been having dreams about during the story and that she knew when she was little.

2. I love love love music, and so many songs are about relationships, you could really detail an entire relationship just in songs! So basically this one takes place in a high school (write what you know, right?) and it's written in diary form and after a few weeks into the school year, this girl, Becca finds s a CD taped to her locker and its a song about this guy whose in love with her who she doesn't know about (I'll find a song later, I'm sure there are tons). She tapes a CD onto her locker and basically to wrap things up a bit as I'm getting tired, she finds out its one of her best friends (a guy, lol) and they start going out and all through their relationship, the songs and CD swapping keeps going. Ups, downs, fights everything, only kind of with a soundtrack. Okay I totally sucked at summarizing that one, but I hope you get the idea!

Anyway, which one do you think is better? I think the first one is more creative but the second one is more writing what I know. So, please help!

Shimmer smile.gif

"I give myself very good advice...but I very seldom follow it"
-Alice in Wonderland

Leaving , a novel in progress...(key word, progress.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nome
post Sep 18 2003, 03:30 AM
Post #2

Queen of the Bowling Alley

Group: Betas
Member No.: 8

I think the first idea might be a better go for a story, but if you don't mind me mentioning it, it's a bit straightforward/predictable. There isn't a suspenseful climax, no red herrings, shades of grey, or betrayals. Perhaps I haven't heard enough.

But Dylan is the archtypical perfect romantic interest. Could he be changed, be more than he appears? He could have a hidden agenda for her skin, or maybe he betrays her and never meant to return the favor at all. Maybe the villian isn't as bad as he seems. Maybe there could be an ethical dilemma, where there's another female servant who is actually Dylan's sister, another selkie, who's skin was somehow destroyed. If skins were interchangeable, Dylan could be stuck between keeping his promise and saving his sister.

Sorry, I got stuck in plot mode. Anyway, I'd love to hear more about your plans for this.

Nome, who pontificates when she's tired.

"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." - Mark Twain

Nome's LJ
+Quote Post
Shimmer
post Sep 19 2003, 02:04 AM
Post #3

Stealing socks

Group: Members
Member No.: 52

Yeah theres kinda more to the plot but I was just giving the basic one, but your're right it is kind of straightforward. I really like the idea of the interchangable skins, though! I'll really have to think about thatand yes, my villian isn't as bad as he seems, and he also has a daughter who she'll start to care about a lot and who'll play a v important part. A lot of it is that she doesn't really trust or let herself care about anyone because...well, I don't want to give it away, hehe.
Thanks so much, Nome!

Shimmer

"I give myself very good advice...but I very seldom follow it"
-Alice in Wonderland

Leaving , a novel in progress...(key word, progress.)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topic    Start new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:56 PM