Reply to this topic    Start new topic
> Settings, Where's yours?
b4zookajules
post Aug 2 2003, 10:12 PM
Post #1

Stealing socks

Group: Members
Member No.: 67

My story is basically set in space. A simplified version of the storyline is that Earth becomes too big for us lot to live on, so a shuttle (named Nanowri - recognise it? wink.gif) is sent out with loads of humans on board, to explore space and find somewhere for them to live. Generations later, the originals've all died, and it's now the children's children of the original people who stepped onto the shuttle living there. But then something happens, the shuttle explodes, and my characters -- Lorna and Will - end up stranded on some random planet. The story is basically about their survival. ^_^

Man it sounds so shallow written like that. O_o But really, it is deeper. Honest. tongue.gif

My problem with this is that I've got to invent this planet, and everything about it. What light they have (this is generations away from Earth, so I think they're a bit far away from the Sun), gravity, temperature, living conditions... and it's basically a nightmare. I'm so glad I've started planning now, because I really didn't account for this when I first thought of the idea. tongue.gif

But when I get to the technical bits, I'll likely have to ask you guys for some advice, because really I haven't got much of a clue at the moment. tongue.gif You do the same!! Where are all of your stories set? Need any techie help with the places? smile.gif

-Jules. xxx

user posted image

Do you believe in the power of dreams? ~ Honda
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nome
post Aug 3 2003, 06:46 AM
Post #2

Queen of the Bowling Alley

Group: Betas
Member No.: 8

Well, I've sort of described the setting in another post -- 6 manorhouses, one long country road, but considering I live in a terraformed desert area, I will probably come running with the strangest questions, mostly about weather, flowers, trees, etc. For example, I don't think I've ever seen an oak/beech/ash/almost anything else tree in real life. Does anyone know a good tree information site?

(the reason I haven't seen them is because practically the only landscape trees around here are palms, pepper trees, eucalyptus, and magnolia. sing hey for southern california. /sarcasm)

Nome

"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." - Mark Twain

Nome's LJ
+Quote Post
allie kiwi
post Aug 3 2003, 07:47 AM
Post #3

Stealing socks

Group: The Kiwi Connection
Member No.: 412

Mine is gonig to be set in two places, since it revolves around people being fans of a TV show. The main female character is going to live here, since I cna describe that easily, and I know how the health system works here etc. I've just got to work out where the other place is. England? US? Australia? Depends on the TV show I decide on, really. Beware if I set the TV show near you - I could be randomly popping up asking all sorts of questions! confused1.gif

Hmmmm, but then there is the fact that Hercuels, Lord of the Rings and other things are filmed here... maybe my male characters can come HERE!!

jawdrop.gif MUSE ARRIVED jawdrop.gif

*dashes off to write stuff*

Allie

There is no spoon.
+Quote Post
rdehwyll
post Aug 9 2003, 07:13 PM
Post #4

Incessant Writer and Reader

Group: Readers
Member No.: 1,561

Another planet -- one where physical conditions are inimical to advanced technology... Isn't it just terrible that bolts of lightning are drawn to almost ANY metal or electronic device? (MWAH-HAH_HAH...) devil.gif

Robert Waldbauer

Writing is incredibly easy -- one just stares hard at the blank piece of paper until droplets of blood form on ones brow...

Life Instructor and History Maven by trade
+Quote Post
Imogen
post Aug 9 2003, 08:33 PM
Post #5

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Mine's going to be partly set in the real world, in Northern England near where I live. It's set at different periods of time through the 1940s and into very early 1950.

The bulk of the story is set in the magical world of Elenarda (recognice the name? wink.gif ) where things are never as they really appear to be...

I've got a map somewhere that I'll upload so you can see what's where, but the geography is totally paralleled in the real world and in the fantasy land. The river runs the same course and there are hills and features in identical places. However, that's where the similarities end.

Elenarda has an almost medieval feel to it, but the magic of the land does make it far more advanced in many ways.

Imogen teehee.gif

After her O.W.L.s Hope had managed to persuade her dad to give her a crash course in what he laughingly referred to as “Parseltongue for tourists”. Being in Slytherin, she’d thought it had been the epitome of cool to return to school with such useful snakey phrases as “Can you pass the apple pie, please?” and “Would you be good enough to tell me what time the train to Madrid departs from Platform Two?”
~ A Pensieve Affair ~ Now being posted...
+Quote Post
Shimmer
post Aug 9 2003, 08:47 PM
Post #6

Stealing socks

Member No.: 52

Wow, all of your stories sound really fascinating! Hehe.

Mine all takes place in some random tiny town on the Irish coast. A big portion of it will take place in the ocean since the main character is a Selkie, and a bit will take place in the village, but the other half will take place in a large, ancient manor belonging to our villian, hehe. It's essential that the manor have many rooms because our heros will be searching for something hidden in them! I have no problems describing the ocean, of course. But, as I've never been to Ireland, the village and it's inhabitant's dialects might be a bit harder!

Gulp! I hope I can do this! I'm a bit nervous, really!

Shimmer whistling.gif

"I give myself very good advice...but I very seldom follow it"
-Alice in Wonderland

Leaving , a novel in progress...(key word, progress.)
+Quote Post
LadyChi21
post Aug 10 2003, 09:42 PM
Post #7

Puzzling things out

Member No.: 1,693

Mine takes place on a ranch in Montana. I've never been to Montana, but I have been on a ranch, so this will prove interesting.

Kairi: Do you beta?
Chi: Yes. I also can stand on my head, eat a banana and sing "I'm Called Little Buttercup" at the top of my lungs, all at the same time. It's the same amount of effort.
+Quote Post
percival
post Aug 11 2003, 10:21 AM
Post #8

Lemmings United

Member No.: 1,442

I'm shooting for London - a place I know reasonably well from 3-4 fleeting visits and women's magazines. ermm.gif

Any Londoners who'd care to share?

percival
+Quote Post
rdehwyll
post Aug 12 2003, 12:02 AM
Post #9

Does anyone else have this problem?

I had what I thought was a GREAT idea for my NaNoWri (See previous post) but once I got down to developing the plot and the characters, I decided that the idea was too good to rush, and 50,000 words most likely would not be enough. So I'll not be writing that one in November....

I went back to my idea journal (Never leave home without it and a sharp pencil!) and started leafing through the pages, hoping there would be something that I could do instead. Bingo!

My "New" World is early 20th century America (and some other locales), with dark fantasy elements based on notes from an actual murder case in 1920's Chicago.

Isn't the wonderful world of writing FUN? wacko.gif

Robert Waldbauer

Writing is incredibly easy -- one just stares hard at the blank piece of paper until droplets of blood form on ones brow...

+Quote Post
b4zookajules
post Aug 16 2003, 09:06 PM
Post #10

Stealing socks

Member No.: 67

Percival - I live *near* London, so if I can be of any help, I'd give it my best shot. biggrin.gif

But rdehwyll, you don't have to stop using the other idea just for those reasons! The story doesn't have to be 50 000 words - the challenge is only to write out that many words in the set amount of time. But I do understand if you'd rather not rush the idea - it's a lot more pleasurable to write something when you're in the 'mood' to than it is when it's forced. The one thing I'm not looking forward to about this; forcing myself to write. >.<

Hee. biggrin.gif

-Jules. xxx

user posted image

Do you believe in the power of dreams? ~ Honda
+Quote Post
Imogen
post Aug 16 2003, 09:22 PM
Post #11

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

I'm dreading forcing myself to write at this pace. I'm notoriously slow at writing anyway, and I've always gone over and over lines playing with what they sound like to get them 'just right'.

I can't begin to imagine how it will feel making myself write 1500 plus words a day. I think some days I'll end up writing complete and utter rubbish.

All I can promise is that you'll get a decent rewrite of the story during December!

PLEASE make me stick at it. No procrastination or excuses allowed.

Imogen hug.gif

After her O.W.L.s Hope had managed to persuade her dad to give her a crash course in what he laughingly referred to as “Parseltongue for tourists”. Being in Slytherin, she’d thought it had been the epitome of cool to return to school with such useful snakey phrases as “Can you pass the apple pie, please?” and “Would you be good enough to tell me what time the train to Madrid departs from Platform Two?”
~ A Pensieve Affair ~ Now being posted...
+Quote Post
LadyChi21
post Aug 16 2003, 09:39 PM
Post #12

Puzzling things out

Member No.: 1,693

Oh, we're making you stick to it, all right. We're all in this together, heaven help us.

Kairi: Do you beta?
Chi: Yes. I also can stand on my head, eat a banana and sing "I'm Called Little Buttercup" at the top of my lungs, all at the same time. It's the same amount of effort.
+Quote Post
percival
post Aug 17 2003, 03:24 PM
Post #13

Lemmings United

Member No.: 1,442

Jules, yes, that would be great - I'm planning out characters at the moment, will locate them later once I know what I want to do with them.

Imogen, don't worry - we'll carry you through!

smile.gif

percival
+Quote Post
rdehwyll
post Aug 19 2003, 06:03 PM
Post #14

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why did 50,000 words sound doable, but 2,000 a day seem like so much more?

I just went back and did a writing exercise this morning -- open the dictionary with your eyes closed, drop a finger, and write down the word you've landed on. (Hint -- be SURE to read the definition!) Do this three times, then write a 1,000 word story (about four typewritten pages, double-spaced) USING those three words.

I spent three hours at it, and only made about 300 words. (Sigh!) At that rate, I'll have to spend 500 hours writing in November...

Oh -- my words were "exogenisis" "typhoid" and "sexuality". blink.gif

Robert Waldbauer

+Quote Post
Enna
post Aug 29 2003, 07:30 PM
Post #15

Puzzling things out

Member No.: 1,635

Percival - I live in London and go in to the centre most days, so I can help you if you need it. smile.gif Do you know what part of London it's mainly going to be set in (north, south, central, outer)? Believe it or not, it does actually make a big difference. smile.gif

If I set my story in this world, I will almost definately set it in London. When I write, I work on developing my skills and it would be hard enough if I didn't have a clue about where I was setting my story. Although, I might go for France next time. I've been there a good 6 or 7 times, and when I last went (with my school), I visited a gorgeous little town in Loire. The town was dotted with aging, cream-coloured houses that had probably never been redecorated, and had huge fields of sunflowers in sight nearly everywhere you were. It was beautiful.

-Enna
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topic    Start new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:00 PM