Reply to this topic    Start new topic
> What preparation
allie kiwi
post Aug 2 2003, 08:03 AM
Post #1

Stealing socks

Group: The Kiwi Connection
Member No.: 412

What sorts of things do we need to do in adnvace, really? I've not written anything like this before, so does anyone have some hints?

I've got a basic plot from A to Z. Should I fill in more little side issues along trhe way and kind of do a chapter by chapter break down of what is gonig to happen?

Having read David and Leigh Eddings Riven codex I'm rahter freaking about the need for prewriting everything! (Thankfully I'm not doing a fantasy novel, and dont need to invent a whole planet of cultures etc)

HELP!

Allie

There is no spoon.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Imogen
post Aug 2 2003, 08:56 AM
Post #2

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Usually what I do is have an overall plot line with certain events marked on it that will happen at particular times. It gives me a linear plan of the book so I can see how I'm going to get from A to B (whilst wandering through C-Z on the way!) The subplot I have on a separate line to start with and then I merge the two so I've got a novel plan to follow.

Once I've got that, I break it down into 'chapter' chunks. I write down what's going to happen in that chapter, how the characters might react - any lines I can think of that might be said, and any little bits that I think might be handy to include. Pictures and ideas are stuck on the planning as well.

It's not as rigid as all that - some bits get thrown out of the window and other bits get added as I write. I also don't stick rigidly to a 'chapter' being a chapter. Sometimes they morph into 3 chapters, and sometimes I find that there's little to say.

It's a great backup to know that the planning is there, and it does stop you from stuffing up your plot! It's also handy in terms of pace because you don't spend too long on any one area ~ usually.

That's me anyway.

Imogen smile.gif

After her O.W.L.s Hope had managed to persuade her dad to give her a crash course in what he laughingly referred to as “Parseltongue for tourists”. Being in Slytherin, she’d thought it had been the epitome of cool to return to school with such useful snakey phrases as “Can you pass the apple pie, please?” and “Would you be good enough to tell me what time the train to Madrid departs from Platform Two?”
~ A Pensieve Affair ~ Now being posted...
+Quote Post
b4zookajules
post Aug 2 2003, 10:02 PM
Post #3

Stealing socks

Group: Members
Member No.: 67

I'm always interested to find out how other people plan, because I've never been taught or anything myself. My first novel-length-fanfiction had no planning at ALL - I had written 30 000 words and still had no idea what the ending was. tongue.gif Disaster, and, predictably, I had to abandon it when I found about a zillion plotholes lining my journey. Then the new canon came out, and blasted it into smithereens anyway, and that was the end of that. tongue.gif

So, for any stories that I've written since then, I've made sure to plan. It takes me weeks and weeks to plan -- I'm not somebody who can just sit down and write everything out logically. What I tend to do in the first place, is have some vague idea of a story, which I then slowly develop through the next few days (normally when in the shower or bed) until I have a basic plot. From there, I plan little scenes and write them out, draw pictures of them, and develop my characters until I know them inside out. That's pretty much the stage I'm at now. Then after that, I scrape together the major plot, and write out short, basic chapter plans. Really it's not even that - it's just a timeline sort of thing (something like yours I'd imagine, Imogen smile.gif), so I know what has to go where. Essential - I get so lost without it. tongue.gif

But the only advice I can give really - and it's not worth much, since I'm the worst planner since ... somebodybadatplanning:P - is to make sure you know your characters. If they're strong enough in your mind, I think you can find a plot for them somewhere. And once you've got that plot, write it down and make a timeline. Simple. smile.gif

But still, advice from other writers would really help me, so I'll be keeping up with this thread! smile.gif

-Jules. xxx

user posted image

Do you believe in the power of dreams? ~ Honda
+Quote Post
allie kiwi
post Aug 3 2003, 07:42 AM
Post #4

Stealing socks

Group: The Kiwi Connection
Member No.: 412

Thanks Imogen and Jules!

It's strange that on the one hand I'm a planner, but on the other hand I often wing it and go off on tangents all over the palce. Hmmm not sure which i'm gonig to be doing with my story!

I think I'll give planning a go and see if I can do as much as I can...

Jules, I like how you suggest getting to know my characters - I think i'll try that, - maybe write about them and their intersts, poersonality etc, becaue that will make it easier for me to wing it and still be in the near vicinity of what I want the plot to be. If that makes any sense. I know what I mean, anyway *grin*

Allie

There is no spoon.
+Quote Post
b4zookajules
post Aug 3 2003, 04:27 PM
Post #5

Stealing socks

Member No.: 67

That's a good idea smile.gif I think NaNo had a section about Character Development last year... hopefully it'll be up again this year. If not, I'll have a dig on my computer for a big questionnaire thing. Really, *really* helpful when making new characters and getting to know them smile.gif

But the way I see it, stories are like rivers. (I have the weirdest analogies btw - you may not understand what's coming, and I won't blame you if you don't wink.gif) The main plotline is the main river, and you follow that most of the journey. But every now and then, a little stream comes out of the river - there is a name for them, but I haven't done Geography in years and have forgotten it tongue.gif - something you haven't planned, but you like it all the same. Especially with something such as NaNo when the biggest factor is the word count, I'd say divert from the main stream and follow those smaller ones whenever you can. It's always good to plan, but when something is totally solid and leaves no room for tangeants, it's boring. It takes the fun out of the writing. smile.gif

*stops her rambling ^_^*

-Jules. xxx

user posted image

Do you believe in the power of dreams? ~ Honda
+Quote Post
percival
post Aug 11 2003, 10:39 AM
Post #6

Lemmings United

Member No.: 1,442

Hmmmm - looks like I need to do far more planning! I have my main character and her rough background, but it seems like I should spend half an hour each day just planning and sketching ... sounds like fun and good training for the actual thing!

So, major chunks of work left to do are:
- locate the main character
- invent the people she is going to treat
- decide when she is going to see whom and how often
- decide how well her business is going to go
- decide whether the poor woman should have any friends

percival
+Quote Post
Imogen
post Aug 11 2003, 03:21 PM
Post #7

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

I've got a title now ~ which is a bit of a relief because this story's been title-less since I thought of it about a year ago.

As Time Goes By

Nicely evocative of the 40s and Casablanca! The lyrics just fit the plot so well...

You must remember this
A kiss is still a kiss, a sigh is just a sigh
The fundamental things apply
As time goes by
And when two lovers woo
They still say, "I love you"
On that you can rely
No matter what the future brings
As time goes by
Moonlight and love songs
Never out of date
Hearts full of passion
Jealousy and hate
Woman needs man
And man must have his mate
That no one can deny
Well, it's still the same old story
A fight for love and glory
A case of do or die
The world will always welcome lovers
As time goes by

Imogen thumbup1.gif

After her O.W.L.s Hope had managed to persuade her dad to give her a crash course in what he laughingly referred to as “Parseltongue for tourists”. Being in Slytherin, she’d thought it had been the epitome of cool to return to school with such useful snakey phrases as “Can you pass the apple pie, please?” and “Would you be good enough to tell me what time the train to Madrid departs from Platform Two?”
~ A Pensieve Affair ~ Now being posted...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topic    Start new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:41 PM