> Hows Your Summer?
smile
post Jun 23 2006, 04:49 AM
Post #1

Puzzling things out

Group: Readers
Member No.: 5,577

Hey!
Im new to this site! I was just wondering what you doing during the summer? i am traveling to europe soon 061.gif, but i just finished re-reading all the hp books over again sorcerer.gif so....thats it!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cristin
post Jun 23 2006, 07:16 AM
Post #2

You talkin' to me?

Group: H&G Members
Member No.: 3,626

Well, seeing as I just had my last day with my students, I can now officially become excited about summer!

Actually, I'm not doing too much. Just packing up my classroom (for those who don't know by now, I'm getting bumped out of my room), going on a weekend cruise to Ensenada, Mexico, and unpacking in my new classroom (althought there really is nothing new about it)!

This post has been edited by Cristin: Jun 23 2006, 07:17 AM

I do not regret the things I have done, but those I did not do.

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they choose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."
-Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy-

"There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it."
-Edith Wharton-
+Quote Post
Windsong
post Jun 23 2006, 03:59 PM
Post #3

Ten Pin Bowling

Member No.: 4,696

Well, for me it mainly revolves around work, sadly.

Just started a new job with a huge learning curve, meaning lots of extra hours just to keep my head above water!

My daughter will be performing in a dance show, then a musical, then 2 athletics competitions over the next few weeks....

Hopefully we might just get a few weekends sailing in this year - didn't manage any last year.

Oh, and if I'm really. really lucky, I might find a bit of time to do some writing.

I'm exhausted just thinking about it all!!! blink.gif

'Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.'

'Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for it makes them soggy, and hard to light'
+Quote Post
Imogen
post Jun 23 2006, 06:34 PM
Post #4

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

4 weeks to go... *staggers onwards*

Nearly there...

Then I'm going to finish off the last 2 chapters of 'A Pensieve Affair' and its epilogue, and do a mad NaNoWriMo style original in August. I'll be chilling, and decorating and stripping some furniture.

Mostly I'll not be teaching! 061.gif

After her O.W.L.s Hope had managed to persuade her dad to give her a crash course in what he laughingly referred to as “Parseltongue for tourists”. Being in Slytherin, she’d thought it had been the epitome of cool to return to school with such useful snakey phrases as “Can you pass the apple pie, please?” and “Would you be good enough to tell me what time the train to Madrid departs from Platform Two?”
~ A Pensieve Affair ~ Now being posted...
+Quote Post
Drie
post Jun 23 2006, 06:45 PM
Post #5

It's a Small World After All

Group: The Mod Squad
Member No.: 1,656

I already had my "summer vacation" when I took a leap 'cross the pond to spend a glorious week in Cornwall with QH. Ahead of me is nasty hot weather and hopefully a new job as I was fit to murder my boss this morning. You know, ground glass in food is an effective killer.....

Just kidding. Well, it is an effective killer, but, well, you know.

Really. I'm sane. Sort of.

Oh... icon_furious.gif

Welcome smile! Glad to have a bit of new blood around here. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask. I see LizWeasley filled you in on Alpha and Omega, and I hope you have the time to peruse our lovely web mistress' fantastic work, as well as the work she has inspired in many others.

Proud Member of the Red Trio

My sun shall rise in the east
So shall my heart be at peace

"I think happiness is finding a couple extra fries at the bottom of the bag." - Pig, Pearls Before Swine

Just once, I want to shout, "Bwahahhahahaha!" and really mean it.

"I couldn't decide if I wanted marble fudge, chocolate, rocky road, vanilla or butter pecan...I finally decided to try marble fudge...then I had to choose between a plain cone or a sugar cone...I decided on the sugar cone...so what happened? I went out the door, and dropped the whole thing on the sidewalk! Don't tell me my life isn't a Shakespearean tragedy!" ~ Sally, Charlie Brown's sister

Pictures of You

Bunnies! Everywhere!
+Quote Post
QuickHare
post Jun 23 2006, 08:57 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 2,603

I will be spending my summer perfecting my plans for my next American visit with the lovely Drie. That and working hard to pay for it. I may also be thinking of changing my car, seeing a fair few mates and sunbathing... Ok, maybe not sunbathing, but hey.

Smile, welcome! By now you'll have seen we're a weird lot, but happy and joyous. All of us here are happy to answer any questions about the site, and you can either post a question or click the nice italic "PM" button on the left of any post. From here you can send a Personal Message to any other member here.

Enjoy your stay and have lots of fun. And be careful of the insanity... It sneeks up when you least expect it!

QuickHare

"To err is human. To completely screw up requires a computer."

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." [Lao-tzu]

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good."
+Quote Post
Windsong
post Jun 23 2006, 09:12 PM
Post #7

Ten Pin Bowling

Member No.: 4,696

QUOTE(QuickHare @ Jun 23 2006, 09:57 PM) *

Enjoy your stay and have lots of fun. And be careful of the insanity... It sneeks up when you least expect it!

Ahh! Sanity. I remember that.............. vaguely.

'Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.'

'Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for it makes them soggy, and hard to light'
+Quote Post
QuickHare
post Jun 23 2006, 09:20 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 2,603

"Sanity" what's that? Next you'll be telling me it's the opposite of "Insane"... rolleyes.gif

QuickHare

"To err is human. To completely screw up requires a computer."

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." [Lao-tzu]

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good."
+Quote Post
Billywig2
post Jun 26 2006, 08:07 AM
Post #9

Psyco Sockologist

Member No.: 690

I think you mean "UNsane" thumbup1.gif

With my summer I'm going to... wait... it's like, five months away still. Stupid southern hemisphere, I just got all my hopes up, too. lol. With my winter holidays, however, I'm spending a cold week at home, a cold week at my boyfriend's place, and a very lonelyand cold week alone in my room at my college because I am required to attend play rehearsal. icon_furious.gif I won't even have a computer, tv or any way to play music to entertain myself, I'm going to en up reading text books unsure.gif

o yeah... Welcome Smile! biggrin.gif

If I ever found a pot of gold,
I'd buy bottles untold of the nectar of the vines,
'cos I'm gonna die with a twinkle in my eye,
'coz I sung songs, spun stories, loved, laughed and drank wine.

Tomorrow is another day,
The cats are out to play, to play!
+Quote Post
LizWeasley221
post Jun 26 2006, 10:44 AM
Post #10

Secretly wishing she was a Weasley

Group: Betas
Member No.: 394

Sadly, our summer here had ended. This past month we had 3 weeks of sunshine, no rain, general loveliness, and now we are back to cold, rainy, and dull. It's a good thing when you are in work every day and not on a beach, I suppose. Either way, we have to take some holiday time at some point so:

At the end of this week we head to Ballygarrett, Co. Wexford for a long weekend of doing absolutely nothing. My husband's family has a nice large house down there and I plan on taking advantage of the room that we do not have in Dublin.

Then, in about a months time, we head off to York to see the web lady herself, and he adorable little children and the one big kid she calls "hubby". I haven't seen Imogen or her family in 3 years so I really really really look forward to that.

i could use some sunshine, though, if anyone wants to send some over... 105.gif
+Quote Post
Drie
post Jun 26 2006, 04:23 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(LizWeasley221 @ Jun 26 2006, 03:44 AM) *

i could use some sunshine, though, if anyone wants to send some over... 105.gif

Attempts to foist evil summer heat in Liz's direction...

Urgh! Not budging...now we've got Florida-like humidity to go with this. YUCK!

"I think happiness is finding a couple extra fries at the bottom of the bag." - Pig, Pearls Before Swine

"I couldn't decide if I wanted marble fudge, chocolate, rocky road, vanilla or butter pecan...I finally decided to try marble fudge...then I had to choose between a plain cone or a sugar cone...I decided on the sugar cone...so what happened? I went out the door, and dropped the whole thing on the sidewalk! Don't tell me my life isn't a Shakespearean tragedy!" ~ Sally, Charlie Brown's sister

Pictures of You

Bunnies! Everywhere!
+Quote Post
Willow
post Jun 26 2006, 08:51 PM
Post #12

smells

Member No.: 817

Wow, i really didn't know of all these meet ups between site members over summer!

I'm doing nothing this summer, i have 10weeks. To do nothing.
WOW!

Most likely, i'll work on weekends at my brand new part time job. Sunbathe, watch wimbledon and the world cup, shop, and READ A WHOLE LOT OF FANFIC. And also probably some other books, summer is when i do most reading.

I havent seen many books around recently that have caught my eye, does anyone have any suggestions?
(baring in mind im only 16!)

Proud member of the Red Trio

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Yoda
post Jun 26 2006, 10:00 PM
Post #13

I'm co-ordinating internationally!... help!

Member No.: 50

Summer has been weird for me so far, I've bounced around various counties of England, various countries of Europe (which was work related, but only until England vs. Sweden was on!) and I've been away for the last few weekends every time. I have no proper holiday scheduled, my job is a bit... intense... at times, which means I have to actually schedule a holiday when proper back up can cover me.

I do have a long weekend coming up when I will attempt to climb Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Mount Snowdon in 24 hours as part of the Three Peaks Challenge and before that I will be watching Pirates 2.

Sometime later on this year I might take a week somewhere by myself, I like time for reflection, but who knows what the future may hold.

yoda

Elyoda on the NaNoWriMo website

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Drie
post Jun 27 2006, 04:05 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Willow @ Jun 26 2006, 01:51 PM) *

I havent seen many books around recently that have caught my eye, does anyone have any suggestions?
(baring in mind im only 16!)

If you like historical fiction, you may want to begin with 'Cross Stitch' by Diana Gabaldon (I think that's what it is called in the UK). It's rather long and a bit intense, but you may really enjoy it. A little more up your alley would be one our fabulous webmistress turned me onto, a fantastic book called 'Twilight' by Stephenie Meyer.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

Pictures of You

Bunnies! Everywhere!
+Quote Post
Billywig2
post Jul 26 2006, 11:58 PM
Post #15

Psyco Sockologist

Member No.: 690

Well, there's...

The Tomorrow Series, by John Marsden
Girl with a Pearl Earring, by Tracy Chevalier
Artemis Fowl, by Eoin Colfer
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, by Mark Haddon
His Dark Materials Series, by Philip Pullman

... can't think of any more off the top of my head, but they're all books that I've enjoyed over the years.

If I ever found a pot of gold,
I'd buy bottles untold of the nectar of the vines,
'cos I'm gonna die with a twinkle in my eye,
'coz I sung songs, spun stories, loved, laughed and drank wine.

Tomorrow is another day,
The cats are out to play, to play!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topic    Start new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:01 PM