Reply to this topic    Start new topic
> Deathly Hallows
Willow
post Aug 4 2007, 12:33 PM
Post #16

smells

Group: H&G Members
Member No.: 817

I just mean hints about her big part in the Chamber of Secrets. The obvious one in HBP when she was the only one to move him from Dumbledore's body. Stuff like that.
I guess its not really big things...but their must have been some for so many people to ship h/g.

I never picked up on Petunia talking about Snape...thats genius. I CANT WAIT FOR THE ENCYCLOPEDIA! x

Proud member of the Red Trio

IPB Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cristin
post Aug 6 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #17

You talkin' to me?

Member No.: 3,626

I DID IT!! I finally finished DH! That's saying a lot, as I'm trying to take care of a newborn when it came out. Thanks to my wonderful husband, I got to finish the last 5 chapters today while he watched our baby.

Now that I have finished, I loved this book! I wish there was more written between Harry and Ginny, though, and I'm very disurbed by some of the deaths included in the book. I am also very sad that the series has come to an end, but am now looking forward to rereading the series, sharing the series with my daughter when she comes of age, and the encyclopedia!

I do not regret the things I have done, but those I did not do.

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they choose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."
-Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy-

"There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it."
-Edith Wharton-
+Quote Post
mynameisginny
post Aug 7 2007, 12:26 AM
Post #18

Through the mirror

Group: Readers
Member No.: 8,231

this was on of the worst books in the series. From the first time I read the title, to the last word, this book let me down completly. The deathly hallows didn't seem to fit in with the book and the whole time it seemed that J.K. just wanted this book to be done. She killed to many people and the fact that harry was a horcrux was way to predictable. Also, I hate the lack of romance in this book. When Harry came back to life, i started to laugh. That was just way to unbeliveable. Then i turned to the last chapter. I again started to laugh when i read what these people had named their kids. Who names their son Hugo? And why do all of Harry's kids have names that he picked out? Does ginny not get to help name her kids? And now just say this name: Albus Severus Potter. That kid is going to get beat up the moment he steps foot into hogwarts. All in all, I think J.K. could have wrote a much better book.
+Quote Post
Yoda
post Aug 8 2007, 10:12 PM
Post #19

I'm co-ordinating internationally!... help!

Member No.: 50

QUOTE(mynameisginny @ Aug 7 2007, 01:26 AM) *
Who names their son Hugo?
That occurred to me too so I did a little research (on babynames.com) and it turns out:
The meaning of Hugo is Bright In Mind And Spirit

As for the other names we know that Ron Bilius is named after a deceased relative so presumably the tradition continues through the generations.

Hi, by the way, everyone(!) *waves* Took me a while to get back online this year. I'm still writing my NaNo novel!

So what did I think? Well, still I prefer Azkaban above all others, including Deathly Hallows, but overall I thought it was a fantastic close to the series. Harry's still got issues *hee* but that's probably what makes his character so interesting to read about again and again - nothing like a flawed hero to make you take interest - thus I was especially glad with all the Dumbledore backstory - that was quite awesome. The stuff on Grindelwald was quality as well, especially the tiny little flashback on how he stole the Elder Wand in the first place - got a very good mental image on that when I was reading, especially the grin - not sure what it reminded me of though (irritating!)

Ron & Hermione did thier jobs very well as always, the perfect foil & counter-foil to Harry and each other in every situation - best part being Hermione 'welcoming' Ron back after the episode with the Doe.

Snape! SNAPE! HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA! I totally should have made a bet on him! But what a way to go, icky! I was almost expecting it to be a duel between him & the entirety of the Hogwarts' staff that got to him when it came to that but iI was happy with the way it came out regardless.

Ginny is the equivalent of Alan Rickman in the films - gleefully robbed most scenes she turned up in!

Lupin and Tonks I will not talk about, much unhappy Yoda I am. That said, glad the SHT was shot to bits by a new, far crueller & more inventive use of the silver hand - JKR knew exactly what she was doing there.

Draco Malfoy - hee, hee, hee - totally turned out the way I expected after the end of HBP - and yes, laughed myself silly at his receding hairline.

Hagrid & Grawp rock the earth! And socks!

The whole final battle I feel worked really well too, everyone played their part and the deaths of the characters who took part really illustrated the simple & deadly rules that take over - you live or you die - and there's not much you can do about it. Unless you're Harry, jammy sod(!) And to finish on this little part, my obvious highlight:
NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU B**CH!

Molly Weasley in perfect form as Ripley there - and an end that Bellatrix deserved, although I personally wanted Neville to finish her off - but he got Nagini, so Longbottom's triumph is still supreme. If a bit crispy.

I know that the death, torture, rule under Lord V upset a lot of people but I was glad it was taken that way - it gave JKR a chance to show just how bad things can get when there's no one to oppose. The 'Taboo' charm was an awesome little insight into how you can have your freedom snatched away (even if it's just one word) and the Death Eater and Snatchers running around causing mayhem & havoc was a good way of showing how terror tactics would win over doing the right thing.

But speaking of doing the right thing I want to start my own version Potterwatch if I can keep a straight face for long enough.

Dobby crybaby.gif (that is all)

Aberforth! biggrin.gif

Gringotts! velho.gif

The Deathly Hallows story I thought was great, the idea of how they were woven into the modern wizarding society was awesome - I'm a bit fuzzy on how Harry's related to the brothers so I'll have to re-read that when I get to the end of the series again (although I'm currently working on The Dark Tower series - if JKR ever feels brave enough to read some Stephen King she should go for these - Book V is like an homage to her in one place!). I liked Harry's use of the Resurrection Stone in comparison to the other Hallows - the Invisibility Cloak was kind of a given with Harry since it turned up in Book I and the wand was clever but ultimately only had the one use.

That's all I can think of for now, but all in all, I was very happy with alphaomega.gif

yoda
starwars.gif

Elyoda on the NaNoWriMo website

IPB Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topic    Start new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:04 PM