> Midnight Resolutions
thatsmyfish
post Jan 17 2007, 05:21 AM
Post #1

Through the mirror

Group: Readers
Member No.: 5,458

Good Morning everyone,

My name is Ryan and I've been lurking here for some time enjoying all of Imogen's work. I just had a crazy idea and planned to post the following here and perhaps elsewhere on other forums. Thanks for reading!!

-------

I never cracked open a Harry Potter book until I received the first four books as a college graduation gift almost four years ago. I don’t tend to do anything at half-intensity so I poured over the books and was desperate for more. Order of the Phoenix arrived, and then Half-Blood Prince. By this point I couldn’t wait any longer for book seven so instead of rereading the series yet again, I delved into fan fiction. The first few one-shots I read frustrated me until I higher quality novel-length fics fell into my lap.

Jo Rowling should have a moon named after her. (An asteroid is not nearly enough.) I owe her a debt of gratitude for creating such amazing escapism. I consider outstanding fan fiction to be a true fan’s most reverent and careful effort at recreating Jo Rowling’s world. Through them we see what would have happened if Sirius hadn’t died, and examine the loneliness Remus Lupin must have experienced on Halloween 1981. They tell the tale of how the survivors recovered from the second war with Voldemort, and consider what would have happened if the journey had gone in a completely different direction. If we enjoy the experience and walk away with just one nugget of an idea we never thought of before, it’s a ride well worth it.

I made a New Year's Resolution this year to find what I really enjoy and step it up a notch. Having little experience yet tremendous dedication, I’d like to create a podcast to celebrate the best of fan fiction. Others have tried, but I’m not looking to analyze a one-shot of the week or rivet you with my best McGonagall impression. I’d like to bring like-minded and thoughtful adults together to deeply analyze and discuss the greats.

I’m curious if there’s an appetite out there for such a podcast. I’m also curious if anyone else would be willing to commit to such a project. Feel free to respond here, and thanks for reading!

Ryan

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 11)
Imogen
post Jan 17 2007, 07:04 AM
Post #2

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Hi Ryan, and welcome!

It sounds like a cool idea. I can't help you though, unfortunately. I'm a bit swamped in stuff in real life at the moment to offer you much help and I've read very little fanfic. I'm sure you'd have an audience for your project. Good luck with it - make sure you post a link when you get the podcasts done!

Imogen smile.gif

After her O.W.L.s Hope had managed to persuade her dad to give her a crash course in what he laughingly referred to as “Parseltongue for tourists”. Being in Slytherin, she’d thought it had been the epitome of cool to return to school with such useful snakey phrases as “Can you pass the apple pie, please?” and “Would you be good enough to tell me what time the train to Madrid departs from Platform Two?”
~ A Pensieve Affair ~ Now being posted...
+Quote Post
thatsmyfish
post Jan 17 2007, 11:03 PM
Post #3

Through the mirror

I think you have just a couple of projects going on already Imogen, but thanks! I've got a few balls in the air myself, but like you, I've decided to see how far I can push it! There's a lot of excellent fic out there that deserves high praise and analysis, and since I can't find a podcast that brings people together to do just that, I've decided to do it myself! drool.gif
+Quote Post
Drie
post Jan 18 2007, 06:45 PM
Post #4

It's a Small World After All

Group: The Mod Squad
Member No.: 1,656

Hi Ryan! I also echo Imogen's welcome to you. I've not read anything about podcasts, but a great source to see if one exists would be on MuggleNet. If you find something, I'd love it if you would share it with the rest of us!

Happy reading,
Drie drie2.gif

Proud Member of the Red Trio

My sun shall rise in the east
So shall my heart be at peace

"I think happiness is finding a couple extra fries at the bottom of the bag." - Pig, Pearls Before Swine

Just once, I want to shout, "Bwahahhahahaha!" and really mean it.

"I couldn't decide if I wanted marble fudge, chocolate, rocky road, vanilla or butter pecan...I finally decided to try marble fudge...then I had to choose between a plain cone or a sugar cone...I decided on the sugar cone...so what happened? I went out the door, and dropped the whole thing on the sidewalk! Don't tell me my life isn't a Shakespearean tragedy!" ~ Sally, Charlie Brown's sister

Pictures of You

Bunnies! Everywhere!
+Quote Post
thatsmyfish
post Jan 18 2007, 11:04 PM
Post #5

Through the mirror

I'm a big fan of Mugglenet's podcast, Mugglecast, as well as the Leaky Cauldron's podcast, Pottercast. If any of you have not checked either out I would strongly recommend it. They're both professionally produced and are amongst the highest rated podcasts out there - period. The banter is great and both sites actually produce live podcast jointly, under the name Leaky Mug.
+Quote Post
thatsmyfish
post Jan 20 2007, 08:00 PM
Post #6

Through the mirror

Coming the week of February 5th. smile.gif
+Quote Post
thatsmyfish
post Jan 30 2007, 08:16 PM
Post #7

Through the mirror

UPDATE

PotterFicWeekly, a new podcast dedicated to in-depth discussion and analysis of Harry Potter fan fiction, is scheduled to premiere on February 13, 2007. This podcast will feature interviews and readings from various authors, discussions of all aspects of the fan fiction phenomenon, and weekly analysis of the best of fan fiction.

The first fic up for discussion is After the End, by Arabella and Zsenya, and can be found on the Sugar Quill. The first episode we will be discussing the prologue through chapter three. Subsequent episodes will be released each Tuesday. The podcast will be found at www.potterficweekly.com, and you're encouraged to participate in the podcast. Read the fics along with us. Nominate fics or authors you'd like us to cover.
Be a vocal part of the show.

You can send in your thoughts, feedback and counterpoints by email, voicemail, or by posting in the forums. The first episode will be recorded on February 8th and anything submitted by that date can be used.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to PM or email at ryan@potterficweekly.com.

Ryan

+Quote Post
Imogen
post Jan 31 2007, 06:56 AM
Post #8

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

Good luck, Ryan.

Hope it all goes well thumbup1.gif

P.S. Don't we get a link for fanfic? wink.gif

After her O.W.L.s Hope had managed to persuade her dad to give her a crash course in what he laughingly referred to as “Parseltongue for tourists”. Being in Slytherin, she’d thought it had been the epitome of cool to return to school with such useful snakey phrases as “Can you pass the apple pie, please?” and “Would you be good enough to tell me what time the train to Madrid departs from Platform Two?”
+Quote Post
thatsmyfish
post Jan 31 2007, 12:00 PM
Post #9

Through the mirror

Done, and given you passively put me in touch with Leela Starsky and were my first well-wisher, you'll probably get shout-outs. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Imogen
post Feb 1 2007, 02:43 PM
Post #10

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

LOL I thought I recognised the style in the banner on your site. She's absolutely fab - can't recommend her enough to people

+Quote Post
thatsmyfish
post Feb 1 2007, 02:59 PM
Post #11

Through the mirror

I know! She's great!!!

On another topic I have to say though the entire thought of a fanfic podcast now seems like a much better idea considering we have six months of canon left!!
+Quote Post
thatsmyfish
post Feb 13 2007, 06:51 AM
Post #12

Through the mirror

I just wanted to let everyone know that the podcast is live at www.potterficweekly.com.

Happy listening!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topic    Start new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:08 PM