Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB

Reply to this topic    Start new topic
> Matthew Reilly, Contest, Ice Station, Temple, Area 7...
Yoda
post Jun 11 2003, 02:58 PM
Post #1

I'm co-ordinating internationally!... help!

Group: H&G Members
Member No.: 50

So about two weeks ago I found 'Contest' lying around a Borders with a tagline of '7 people go in but only 1 can come out'. My immediate thought: 'YAY!'. My follow up thought: 'This looks good, stop saying 'YAY!'! and go buy it.' Approximately 20 mins later I arrived home and started reading what I was expecting to be a good thriller.

After two pages it became a horror/thriller.

After ten pages a fast-paced horror/thriller.

A few pages later, a fast-paced horror/sci-fi/thriller.

Then, a fast-paced horror/sci-fi/action/thriller.

To my absolute delight I read the whole book in the one sitting biggrin.gif

Matthew Reilly is an Australian author and already has a large fanbase, myself now included. He's published four books ('Contest', 'Ice Station', 'Temple' & 'Area 7') and I believe he's now working on a fifth although I can't remember what the name I heard kicking about was.

In his style the books themselves read like some of Michael Crichton's, but in Reilly's plots there's always something more then 'dinosaurs take over park and eat people' (Okay, slightly limited plot there) but in 'Contest' for instance '7 beings are put in a sealed labyrinth from which only one can emerge victorious, by the way there's a huge slavering devouring beastie as well who will try and eat you all biggrin.gif, not to mention the NSA team waiting to plug you full of electrodes.'

Of Reilly's books I've read all but 'Temple' and that's only been delayed because of my exams so I'm halfway through it. 'Contest' is a stand alone and I'd recommend anyone who isn't sure if they'll like his style to read it as it was his first novel, and if anyone knows where I could find the original self-published version please let me know.

'Ice Station' and 'Area 7' focus on the chracter of Lt. Shane 'Scarecrow' Schofield, USMC. Both involve his team of Recon Marines being put in a situation that is beyond their control and must find a way out of while being inconvenienced by the French PRPIM, the English SAS, the US Navy SEALs, the ICG, mad scientists (US, French, UK & South African) and finally the US Air Force. All in all, everyone pretty much hates them.

Besides each book being more or less a fast-paced horror/sci-fi/action/thriller (delete parts as appropriate) Reilly also puts liberal amounts of dark humour, as well as frankly hilarious parts in his novels. A particularly funny example involves the emergence of the SAS force in 'Ice Station' which appears to have come from one of the Australian stations and provokes PFC Robert 'Rebound' Simmons into saying '****ing Australians!'. You can just imagine the delight on Reilly's face as he got to write this biggrin.gif

In terms of language it can be quite strong at points, but then again it adds to the realism of some situations - but if you don't approve I would avoid the novels (excluding 'Contest').

Anyway, I hope that if anyone does/has read them you enjoy/ed them as much as me smile.gif

Yoda, off to finish 'Temple'

Edit to say I just finished temple, and the last line is possibly the best ever in a book biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Yoda: Jun 11 2003, 04:58 PM

Elyoda on the NaNoWriMo website

IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Yoda
post Jan 19 2004, 02:47 PM
Post #2

Aha - update time! Since last writing in here Matthew Reilly's fifth book, 'Scarecrow' was publishe. It's a follow up to 'Ice Station' and 'Area 7' with the same crew of characters, including some of the new ones introduced in the previous novel. (Yes - some new people survive!!!!) Of the three I think the plot is slightly weaker, but the action and pacing are superb, and the plot twists themselves are stunning, particularly one scene set in a French castle - anyone who has read/reads the book will know which one I am referring to!

I recommend them all to you - go read!

Yoda, fanatic reading dwarf

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Goatman
post Dec 12 2004, 11:54 PM
Post #3

Part of the furnishings

Group: Readers
Member No.: 1,323

just in case you didn't know, they're planning on making movies of Ice Station and Contest. Paramount bought the rights to Ice Station but they haven't chosen a director yet.

The '2 Move Checkmate' Master

"If it weren't for the last second nothing would ever get done."

"The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary"
+Quote Post
Yoda
post Dec 14 2004, 11:40 PM
Post #4

I was aware of this Goatman, but thanks for reminding me - I thought of something else I should mention. At the back of all his books Reilly does an interview on the book as well as current projects - and he does indeed talk about the process of turning his books into films.

His latest book, 'Hovercar Racer' about Jason Chaser and his ship, the Argos (spot the mythological connection biggrin.gif), was released a few weeks back. It was originally written as an online story, but it's been taken down now. The page here where it originally featured advertises the sequel - much joy biggrin.gif

The book is set in the future (although, reasonably near, if such geniuses really existed in the world) where anti-gravity drives have been created, and are made freely available to all. With these came the hover car racers, aka formula 1 in the air at high speeds - wheeeee! Each year schools take in a fresh intake of pupils, and Jason is chosen (with his younger brother, 'The Bug' as navigator) to attend the Tasmanian International Race School - and so begins the tale.

High pace races, betrayal, subterfuge, friendship tested to the limit - it's all in here for Jason to face. And he's only 14 - most of the other racers are 16/17 years old or adults, but this doesn't stop him at all. Cracking good read, once again I recommend it freely - but beware, some language you wouldn't like to hear from a 14 year old does emerge, the cheeky little *BLEEP*.

Following up on goatman's movie news, HCR was sold to Disney after the first 3 chapters were published online - if it turns out like 'Pirates of the Caribbean' then what could possibly go wrong?

yoda

IPB Image
+Quote Post
MissBee
post Jul 17 2005, 01:02 AM
Post #5

Stealing socks

Group: Members
Member No.: 75

I read part of one, I got bored... sorry...
He's a silly author, went to my boyfriends high school, they are all silly there tongue.gif
+Quote Post
jen
post Jun 24 2006, 12:28 PM
Post #6

Puzzling things out

Group: Members
Member No.: 59

Gosh, I love his books! They're addictive. I know the original post is from, er, two years ago, but are any Matthew Reilly fans still around? Has anyone read his newer books, like Seven Ancient Wonders and Hovercar Racer?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topic    Start new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:55 AM