+Quote Post
bart
post Aug 22 2004, 08:14 PM
Post #2

Who me?
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 62

Twisting the cap of the bottle, Martin watched as the cold air escaped, putting the bottle to his lips, he drained it quickly, before placing it next to his sunlounger.

The drink hadn't helped much, and it was well over 30 degree's as all the shaded spots had been taken before he arrived, there was only one option left, he would have to overcome his shyness if he to cool down, his t-shirt would have to come off, no matter how pale the skin was underneath. It was that,or spend the rest of the afternoon being baked slowly, as the suns rays beat down unrelentingly.

Five minutes later and after removing his t-shirt and running toward the pool as quick as he could before too many people saw him, he plunged head first, under the cool, clear water.

As his head broke the surface, he saw her...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Yoda
post Aug 22 2004, 09:10 PM
Post #3

I'm co-ordinating internationally!... help!

Group: H&G Members
Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Yoda's brain)
The Earth was baked.

Once mankind's home, all that remained were dusty ruins and an endless expanse of red desert. And the last humans, the ones who couldn't get off the planet in time.

Wrapped up in his radsuit, Mackin scanned the horizon with his eyes, searching for any movement beyond the boundaries of his small homestead.

His son had not returned after the last raiding party had been chased off, and according to the survivors, he would not return. Mackin thought different.

Wiping a hand over the faceplate of his mask, Mackin was annoyed to find the dust still masking his vision. Then he realised that it wasn't dust. Even as he focused on the expanding sandcloud that spread across the horizon, Mackin could hear the keening warcry of the raiders.

Raiders, a human name given to inhuman beings. They were the reason that the human population of Earth had gone, and the reason that none of the animals or birds left behind had survived.

No one knew where they had come from, the scientists of the planet had spent too much time looking beyond the galaxy - ignoring the threat within. The invasion fleet had 'appeared' in the solar system just one week before it reached the Earth.

All the other planets were bypassed, the lack of life providing nothing for the Raiders. The abundant life on the Earth gave them everything they needed.

Almost everything.

The resistance was what they hadn't expected, Mackin and his people had delayed the advancing Raider forces as the population was put aboard spacecraft. Spacecraft that left the Earth without looking back, except to plunge a deep dagger into the backs of the defenders.

A nuclear rain fell on the planet, a last ditch effort to clear out the invaders, sacrificing the surface to gain the planet. It served only to decimate Mackin's forces.

No ship ever returned, and the Raiders took the planet. Almost.

As the dustcloud drew nearer Macking caught a glimpse of shining metal as the Raiders drew their weapons. Smiling grimly, Mackin flicked off the safety on his EM rifle, charging the battery to full.

Around him the abandoned wall thickened with defenders, the last bastion of humanity on the planet.

Mackin wondered if they'd still be there in an hour's time.

Elyoda on the NaNoWriMo website

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Imogen
post Aug 22 2004, 09:27 PM
Post #4

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

"Oh, no! Not baked beans for dinner again, Mum!" moaned her teenage daughter, Alice.

Frankly, Sue was surprised that Alice had managed to see anything beyond the copy of 'Seventeen' magazine that her face seemed to be permanently glued to these days. She didn't know which was worse: being forced to talk to a picture of the insanely cheerful and improbably pretty cover girl, or having the glossy mag flung onto the table with an sigh of absolute disgust, followed by the invariably curled lip, and the Neanderthal grunts that emanated from the sullen face of her dearest offspring.

Alice had been such a lovely baby, everyone had said so. But these days they seemed to have nothing in common. Gone were the days of pretty-in-pink, and here to stay were bare midriffs and music Sue didn't understand. She was sure that music had a tune to it in her day.

"I've not got time to cook anything else, love," Sue explained, holding in an exasperated sigh of her own. "I've got to work tonight. Important deadline tomorrow."

"Don't bother then. I'll have a pizza with Kirsty later."

Alice tossed her head, and submerged beneath the magazine once more.

Suddenly, Sue snapped. she leaned across the table and wrenched the magazine from her daughter's hands. There was a ripping noise as the paper came apart, rending between mother and daughter. Both stared at each other; identical horror flooding both faces.

After her O.W.L.s Hope had managed to persuade her dad to give her a crash course in what he laughingly referred to as “Parseltongue for tourists”. Being in Slytherin, she’d thought it had been the epitome of cool to return to school with such useful snakey phrases as “Can you pass the apple pie, please?” and “Would you be good enough to tell me what time the train to Madrid departs from Platform Two?”
~ A Pensieve Affair ~ Now being posted...
+Quote Post
Jerry
post Aug 22 2004, 10:34 PM
Post #5

Aerials

Group: Readers
Member No.: 3,207

"Don't give me a half-baked story like that!", roared Principal Smith. He continued, "How can you stand there and lie to my face like that?!" "But, sir, it wasn't me," stuttered Mark.

He was saying the truth. He really did not know who threw the eraser at his teacher. He had been sitting quietly and doodling at his seat when his teacher, Mr. Roberts, bellowed, "Mark Sheffield - go to the principal's office now!" He had tried to defend himself but Mr. Roberts wouldn't hear any of it. Thus, he found himself being subjected to more bellowing and baseless accusations. He tried his luck again.

"Sir, if you'll just let me explain -"
"There is nothing to explain, Sheffield!" spat the Principal. "You are a hair's breadth away from expulsion. Tomorrow your parents will come down for a final meeting. Meanwhile, consider yourself suspended until further notice!"

Mark walked down the street leading to his house. This was so unfair! He didn't even know what he was being accused of until the principal had the good grace to scream it at him, amidst numerous flecks of spit. He reached his house, and, with trepidation, opened the front door.

~ M.C.

Proud Member of the I.S.D.

“Hey Harry!” said Cedric, strolling up to him. “Did you hear those screams? I almost died!... Is that David Bowie?”
“Never mind that, look!” the American exchange student exclaimed. “I found the Triwizard cup! It’s mine! All mine! I’ll finally get the fame and glory and honor I deserve!”
“Stupefy,” said Harry. The American exchange student dropped to the ground, stunned.
“Woah!” Cedric exclaimed in astonishment. “You can do magic?!”
“Come on, Cedric,” Harry sighed. “We’d better take this together. You know, so Draco Malfoy won’t think I’m selfish. I really want to get with him, you know.”

-- Silver Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Omelette of Desire

IPB Image Rabbits Have Rights!
+Quote Post
QuickHare
post Aug 26 2004, 07:53 PM
Post #6

It's a Small World After All
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,603

I apologise for the following mess, but I only had 15mins to finish it. I have corrected the spelling mistakes, but nothing else. Som might consider it long...

QUOTE (My mindless typing)
The sun shone brightly in the sky. It was a mad summer’s afternoon and the kids were playing on the beach. They had just broken up from school, and were now wasting their energies in a very constructive way - making sand castles.

Jean, who was busy sunbathing on the sand, heard a small yelp coming from her husband beside her. He was a little on the plump side, and attempted to roll onto his side. Rolling was the operative word as that was all he could do. It came from years of elegant and artful eating that made him this way.

Jean laid back down after sitting up to keep an eye on the kids and find out what Alex, her other half was doing. she felt a little warm and tried to rub sun cream into her skin. She gave up after a while as the kids were digging for dear life and made a hole so deep. But where could the sand go? It couldn’t go anywhere else but thrown over Jean, as the kids knew this would annoy her.

They’ve been pestering her for ice cream ever since they got there, and she thought she’d take them to the café and have a nice meal later on. This wasn’t the case, though. The kids wanted nothing else but ice cream, and Alex wanted something a little more than that. He was hoping for a full dinner plate.

After several hours in the sun, Jean managed to rouse Alex and took the kids to the local restaurant. There, they read the menu and ordered a little more than just ice cream, but knew this would have to follow as desert.

‘Why did kids have to be so difficult,’ thought Jean, who by this time was having enough of them all. Holidays and days off were meant to be fun things. They were meant to be relaxing and completely therapeutic. however, this one was not. This one was trouble right from the beginning, since they got to the beach.
Jean had no idea why. The kids usually loved the sand, the building challenges and the ice cream. She thought Alex liked it too, with the relaxation and the scantly-clad women walking around. This time it was different. Maybe it was the sun. Maybe it was the heat wave that swept across the country at the time. Maybe everyone was a little hotter than they usually were, making them all tired and agitated.

It didn’t matter in the end. As long as they all had fun, that was the main thing. But this wasn’t the case. Jean felt like going home straight away, but feeling hungry, she felt she had to eat first. She watched as the handsome waiter came by and placed the food in front of them, she watched as the kids gobbled up their food. She watched her husband down his food as if he was against a fifteen minute time limit, and she felt bad.

On the way home, the kids were acting up in the back. Again. It was a continual “Are we there yet?” as most kids do, and this made her frustrated and want to get home faster.

What had gotten into this lot today? She thought long and hard and thought she knew the answer. The kids obviously were hotter in the heat wave, Alex looked baked in the sun, and the wholesome meal of baked potatoes and baked beans didn’t help.

When Jean got home, she wrote a stern letter to the guys at the Oxford English Dictionary, and asked if they could omit the word “Baked” from the next edition. Maybe then could she enjoy her holidays. But what about the meal? I suppose it didn’t matter - she loved lasagne over baked beans, any day!

QuickHare

"To err is human. To completely screw up requires a computer."

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." [Lao-tzu]

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good."
+Quote Post

Reply to this topic    Start new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:48 PM