Imogen
post Oct 19 2005, 09:02 PM
Post #1

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Just checking that everyone's found us.

I'm so sorry the boards have been down for so long and looking forward to settling back in with old friends in the new place.

Is everyone ok?

After her O.W.L.s Hope had managed to persuade her dad to give her a crash course in what he laughingly referred to as “Parseltongue for tourists”. Being in Slytherin, she’d thought it had been the epitome of cool to return to school with such useful snakey phrases as “Can you pass the apple pie, please?” and “Would you be good enough to tell me what time the train to Madrid departs from Platform Two?”
~ A Pensieve Affair ~ Now being posted...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
QuickHare
post Oct 19 2005, 11:43 PM
Post #2

It's a Small World After All
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,603

QUOTE(Imogen Mc @ Oct 19 2005, 10:02 PM) *

Just checking that everyone's found us.

I'm so sorry the boards have been down for so long and looking forward to settling back in with old friends in the new place.

Is everyone ok?

Hmmm.... checking......
Well, the emoticons aren't all working.
The board has this weird feel to it with this skin.
And I now can be blamed for word filters and such like.

But I'm here. Sort of.

Maybe an email to everyone to tell them we're back up and running, and for them to update their bookmarks/Favourites?

QuickHare

"To err is human. To completely screw up requires a computer."

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." [Lao-tzu]

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good."
+Quote Post
Yoda
post Oct 20 2005, 12:23 AM
Post #3

I'm co-ordinating internationally!... help!

Group: H&G Members
Member No.: 50

*checks limbs, notes missing limb*

Anyone seen my head? I lost it when I bounced off a wall well and truly last night during squash... (currently experiencing swollen and sore side of face, fun).

Mishaps aside, I'm here - and I've found the most important smilie that works biggrin.gif

yoda, wink.gif

Elyoda on the NaNoWriMo website

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Jerry
post Oct 20 2005, 04:32 AM
Post #4

Aerials

Group: Readers
Member No.: 3,207

I'm here, too. wink.gif

I actually like the new layout and design very much. Hope the minor problems will be fixed soon! cool.gif

~ M.C.

Proud Member of the I.S.D.

“Hey Harry!” said Cedric, strolling up to him. “Did you hear those screams? I almost died!... Is that David Bowie?”
“Never mind that, look!” the American exchange student exclaimed. “I found the Triwizard cup! It’s mine! All mine! I’ll finally get the fame and glory and honor I deserve!”
“Stupefy,” said Harry. The American exchange student dropped to the ground, stunned.
“Woah!” Cedric exclaimed in astonishment. “You can do magic?!”
“Come on, Cedric,” Harry sighed. “We’d better take this together. You know, so Draco Malfoy won’t think I’m selfish. I really want to get with him, you know.”

-- Silver Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Omelette of Desire

IPB Image Rabbits Have Rights!
+Quote Post
Robert
post Oct 20 2005, 06:55 AM
Post #5

King of Fluff

Member No.: 1,914

Well, after you twisted my arm a bit tongue.gif.... Of course I never could say no to a good friend, so I'm here.

Can't say how much with my 7 day a week/65-70hrs schedule for the next 10 months, but I'm here.

Robert

Let's Go Generals!

Co-ed Naked Quidditch
When Catching the Golden Snitch isn't Enough IPB Image

Advice to remember: If you can't apologize to someone when you're in the wrong, don't expect them to respect you afterwards.

YOU WASH MY BACK AND.....
an smutty outtake to Imogen's A Pensieve Affair
“Don’t move,” his voice whispered, “Trust me.”

Hope felt a shiver of anticipation run through her body at Matthew’s words.

“I do,” was her only reply as she surrendered control of the seduction to him.

REFLECTIONS : a post PA story
George looked around and said, “We heard noises through the ceiling so we thought we’d come up and see you.”

“Yes,” added Fred, “funny thing is, though, in addition to the loud thumps we could have sworn we heard two different sets of footsteps.”

“Damn,” Hope thought, “we forgot to charm the floor!”

INVICTUS, Book 5 of the Carpe Diem Universe
The untold story of Harry's Sixth Year
+Quote Post
Imogen
post Oct 20 2005, 03:26 PM
Post #6

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

That's some of us at least! Where's everyone else? blink.gif

We're a long way from being skinned and redesigned and finished off. Think it's going to take me most of the weekend to get everything straight.

I'm thinking about altering the forums a bit as well - we don't really need all the categories we've got, and I think some of them might be merged. I was thinking of adding a chapter sneak peek forum for future chapters (seeing as I'm back to writing these days). Anything else you think you'd like or think I can get rid of?

wub.gif

P.S. Good idea QH, but will do that once I've got all the skinning done and the chapter ready to roll! Might as well let everyone know all at once!

After her O.W.L.s Hope had managed to persuade her dad to give her a crash course in what he laughingly referred to as “Parseltongue for tourists”. Being in Slytherin, she’d thought it had been the epitome of cool to return to school with such useful snakey phrases as “Can you pass the apple pie, please?” and “Would you be good enough to tell me what time the train to Madrid departs from Platform Two?”
+Quote Post
Imogen
post Oct 20 2005, 08:41 PM
Post #7

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

Not touched the forums tonight but I've been playing with the colours on the fiction main page. What do you think?

+Quote Post
Jerry
post Oct 20 2005, 09:05 PM
Post #8

Aerials

Member No.: 3,207

QUOTE(Imogen Mc @ Oct 20 2005, 04:41 PM) *
Not touched the forums tonight but I've been playing with the colours on the fiction main page. What do you think?

I think the colors on the fiction page blend nicely with the Harry&Ginny Logo, IMHO. Better than with the original, light-bluish color, anyway. But that's just my opinion. wink.gif

QUOTE(Imogen Mc @ Oct 20 2005, 11:26 AM) *
I'm thinking about altering the forums a bit as well - we don't really need all the categories we've got, and I think some of them might be merged.I was thinking of adding a chapter sneak peek forum for future chapters (seeing as I'm back to writing these days). Anything else you think you'd like or think I can get rid of?

How about merging the "Reading Room" and the "Writing Desk" into one unit - "Author's Corner"/'Literature Corner" or something like that?
Or perhaps merging "Writing Challenges" with "Creative Writing Workshop" and pinning it to the top?

This post has been edited by Jerry: Oct 20 2005, 09:36 PM

~ M.C.

Proud Member of the I.S.D.

“Hey Harry!” said Cedric, strolling up to him. “Did you hear those screams? I almost died!... Is that David Bowie?”
“Never mind that, look!” the American exchange student exclaimed. “I found the Triwizard cup! It’s mine! All mine! I’ll finally get the fame and glory and honor I deserve!”
“Stupefy,” said Harry. The American exchange student dropped to the ground, stunned.
“Woah!” Cedric exclaimed in astonishment. “You can do magic?!”
“Come on, Cedric,” Harry sighed. “We’d better take this together. You know, so Draco Malfoy won’t think I’m selfish. I really want to get with him, you know.”

-- Silver Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Omelette of Desire

IPB Image Rabbits Have Rights!
+Quote Post
Imogen
post Oct 20 2005, 09:57 PM
Post #9

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

Yes -the light blue was originally meant to go with another picture, and I didn't have time earlier in the week to alter it.

I've got the categories page done as well, so I'm making slow but steady progress. Will get the fiction half of the site finished tomorrow, hopefully with all the reviews moved over as well.

Then it's onto skinning the forum, which will be a REAL experience!

+Quote Post
QuickHare
post Oct 20 2005, 10:22 PM
Post #10

It's a Small World After All
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,603

I find that the current pages take longer to load up. There's so much more to downlooad than before. As some of you will notice (especially on slower connections) each post loads and displays seperately. This is because it loads each part of the table piece by piece in such a way that an entire post has to load before it is displayed. Maybe I can find an option in the ACP to reduce the time taken. I did find those type settings last time I looked.

Also, the graphic at the top of each page might get a bit annoying to some. I suggest you keep the main pic for the main page(s), and for the forum, use a copy which is cropped into a 100px-high bar or something like showing only the heads or the chess board. That way, as people change from page to page, there's less loading and less bandwidth. Some people (some Oxton lad will agree) might prefer this on dial-up connections.

As a final note, Yoda's head was last seen bouncing down the motorway, towards Plymouth. When it bounces past Junction 29, I'll grab it, ok? Just note that Yoda may be like a chicken for a little while as he runs around.

QuickHare

"To err is human. To completely screw up requires a computer."

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." [Lao-tzu]

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good."
+Quote Post
hockeygod
post Oct 21 2005, 02:51 AM
Post #11

String Theory Rocks my World!

Member No.: 1,853

*out of breath* You can call off the dogs. Here I am! biggrin.gif I like the top. It doesn't feel like home yet though, does it? It reminds me of the time...different story for a different time. I found it, would be the general purpose of the story.

~ B.M.
Proud Member of the I.S.D.!!!

IPB Image hockeygod

I'm a Math Geek and it makes me happy!!!

"Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit."~Aristotle

"Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity."~Henry Van Dyke

"Life is wasted on the living."~Douglas Adams

"Everyone is a genius at least once a year. The real geniuses simply have their bright ideas closer together."~Georg C. Lichtenberg
+Quote Post
Imogen
post Oct 21 2005, 06:55 AM
Post #12

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

QUOTE(QuickHare @ Oct 20 2005, 11:22 PM) *

I find that the current pages take longer to load up. There's so much more to downlooad than before. As some of you will notice (especially on slower connections) each post loads and displays seperately. This is because it loads each part of the table piece by piece in such a way that an entire post has to load before it is displayed. Maybe I can find an option in the ACP to reduce the time taken. I did find those type settings last time I looked.

Also, the graphic at the top of each page might get a bit annoying to some. I suggest you keep the main pic for the main page(s), and for the forum, use a copy which is cropped into a 100px-high bar or something like showing only the heads or the chess board. That way, as people change from page to page, there's less loading and less bandwidth. Some people (some Oxton lad will agree) might prefer this on dial-up connections.

It shouldn't be significantly different to the old pages. We're still on the same format and same quantity of graphics. The heading pic is bigger but not dramatically so. I'm reluctant to get rid of it or shrink it, but I'll look at reducing the quality of it, so it's faster to load. Unless we get hit by spammers again, bandwidth isn't a problem - we've got a massive allowance on the new host. How slow is it on dial up?

If you can have a go at the forums to see what you can do about reducing the time taken there.

I'll start skinning the forums tonight, tomorrow. If it ends up looking a bit funky for a while, I'm sorry. It was 2002 last time I skinned one of these and it's changed dramatically since then!

biggrin.gif HG, hopefully it'll feel like home in no time. I think it's the shock of losing the blue and white!

+Quote Post
Imogen
post Oct 21 2005, 06:52 PM
Post #13

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

Sloooooowly getting there with the colours. It's taking forever and a day to fathom them out on the forums. Essentially most of the blue is going, and being replaced with a couple of shades of cream and creamy-peach.

The fiction pages are essentially done, although there's a glitch on the default template I haven't worked out yet, so the 'author' page isn't working yet. When I get that fixed, I can transfer everyone's reviews and close the other site.

I'm on IM if anyone fancies keeping me company...

Imogen blink.gif

+Quote Post
Robert
post Oct 21 2005, 07:18 PM
Post #14

King of Fluff

Member No.: 1,914

Would love to chat IM but have to get ready and out the door for work.

Long night as I heard from mom that Boo, my 16 yr cat was put to sleep Monday night. He was a true sweety.

Robert

Let's Go Generals!

Co-ed Naked Quidditch
When Catching the Golden Snitch isn't Enough IPB Image

Advice to remember: If you can't apologize to someone when you're in the wrong, don't expect them to respect you afterwards.

YOU WASH MY BACK AND.....
an smutty outtake to Imogen's A Pensieve Affair
“Don’t move,” his voice whispered, “Trust me.”

Hope felt a shiver of anticipation run through her body at Matthew’s words.

“I do,” was her only reply as she surrendered control of the seduction to him.

REFLECTIONS : a post PA story
George looked around and said, “We heard noises through the ceiling so we thought we’d come up and see you.”

“Yes,” added Fred, “funny thing is, though, in addition to the loud thumps we could have sworn we heard two different sets of footsteps.”

“Damn,” Hope thought, “we forgot to charm the floor!”

INVICTUS, Book 5 of the Carpe Diem Universe
The untold story of Harry's Sixth Year
+Quote Post
Imogen
post Oct 21 2005, 07:47 PM
Post #15

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

Oh no sad.gif

Our kitty is very elderly now - she's 12 - and I worry about her...

Hope work isn't too bad ph34r.gif I'm going to give up soon for tonight anyway and I'll resume tearing my hair out tomorrow. As soon as I can get this done, I'm back to finishing this chapter off!

cool.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic    Start new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:45 PM