> Midnight Resolutions
thatsmyfish
post Jan 17 2007, 05:21 AM
Post #1

Through the mirror

Group: Readers
Member No.: 5,458

Good Morning everyone,

My name is Ryan and I've been lurking here for some time enjoying all of Imogen's work. I just had a crazy idea and planned to post the following here and perhaps elsewhere on other forums. Thanks for reading!!

-------

I never cracked open a Harry Potter book until I received the first four books as a college graduation gift almost four years ago. I don’t tend to do anything at half-intensity so I poured over the books and was desperate for more. Order of the Phoenix arrived, and then Half-Blood Prince. By this point I couldn’t wait any longer for book seven so instead of rereading the series yet again, I delved into fan fiction. The first few one-shots I read frustrated me until I higher quality novel-length fics fell into my lap.

Jo Rowling should have a moon named after her. (An asteroid is not nearly enough.) I owe her a debt of gratitude for creating such amazing escapism. I consider outstanding fan fiction to be a true fan’s most reverent and careful effort at recreating Jo Rowling’s world. Through them we see what would have happened if Sirius hadn’t died, and examine the loneliness Remus Lupin must have experienced on Halloween 1981. They tell the tale of how the survivors recovered from the second war with Voldemort, and consider what would have happened if the journey had gone in a completely different direction. If we enjoy the experience and walk away with just one nugget of an idea we never thought of before, it’s a ride well worth it.

I made a New Year's Resolution this year to find what I really enjoy and step it up a notch. Having little experience yet tremendous dedication, I’d like to create a podcast to celebrate the best of fan fiction. Others have tried, but I’m not looking to analyze a one-shot of the week or rivet you with my best McGonagall impression. I’d like to bring like-minded and thoughtful adults together to deeply analyze and discuss the greats.

I’m curious if there’s an appetite out there for such a podcast. I’m also curious if anyone else would be willing to commit to such a project. Feel free to respond here, and thanks for reading!

Ryan

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topic    Start new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:22 PM