> Have We All Made It Over Here Then?
QuickHare
post Oct 21 2005, 10:36 PM
Post #16

It's a Small World After All
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2,603

Imogen, please don't rush to get the skinning done. We can all live with the style for a while yet, and as you well know, art is best when considered, pondered and formed at a steady pace. I think the whole board would love to wait for a while longer if it means better quality or you not going bald too early in life.

The ACP didn't show up any great options. In fact, it doesn't do much in the way of speeding things up. The best thing would be to use CSS, but the board heavily uses that already. In other words, the speed is already fast.

Download times, based on the board when testing:
  • Main forum page: 223Kb in file size. 40s when loaded from scratch.
  • Going into Gen Disc.: +22Kb to load. 4s to load up.
  • Visiting this thread: +293Kb extra to load. 53s to load up.
  • Post this reply: +125Kb extra to load. 23s to load up.
*This is based on 5.5Kb/s download speed, which is a common maximum for most dial-up modems. 1Mbps broadband connection speeds can be around 20x faster than this!

QuickHare

"To err is human. To completely screw up requires a computer."

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." [Lao-tzu]

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Imogen
post Oct 22 2005, 08:43 AM
Post #17

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

I'd really like to get it done though. I'm getting behind with real life work because of this and I can't even try to get my blog online until all this is done.

Plus it annoys me when things don't match wink.gif I feel like I'm going completely round the twist with this though. I'm not good at coding at the best of times, and this certainly isn't one of them!

I don't think we're going to be able to speed it up - even lessening the quality of the image isn't going to make a significant difference to that. People on dial up - is it too slow? It's fine on broadband (obviously)...

What do we think of the forum changes? Would people like a fanfic forum - either to post their own or to post links to other stories?

After her O.W.L.s Hope had managed to persuade her dad to give her a crash course in what he laughingly referred to as “Parseltongue for tourists”. Being in Slytherin, she’d thought it had been the epitome of cool to return to school with such useful snakey phrases as “Can you pass the apple pie, please?” and “Would you be good enough to tell me what time the train to Madrid departs from Platform Two?”
~ A Pensieve Affair ~ Now being posted...
+Quote Post
Imogen
post Oct 23 2005, 08:49 AM
Post #18

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

Just to keep you all posted!

I've found someone who can skin the forums for me and make a much better job of it than I have! They think they'll be able to get it done fairly quickly for us, so keep your fingers crossed.

I'll get back to doing a bit of writing, so betas can watch out for a completed chapter later today. Assuming you're all still here after me being AWOL for the past 18 months!

Imogen wub.gif

After her O.W.L.s Hope had managed to persuade her dad to give her a crash course in what he laughingly referred to as “Parseltongue for tourists”. Being in Slytherin, she’d thought it had been the epitome of cool to return to school with such useful snakey phrases as “Can you pass the apple pie, please?” and “Would you be good enough to tell me what time the train to Madrid departs from Platform Two?”
+Quote Post
Imogen
post Oct 23 2005, 09:28 PM
Post #19

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

The new skin should be done by Friday. So if you can think hard about what might look nice and post any ideas or suggestions (or links to nice graphics) in the next couple of days, that would be really handy.

It's far from decided - anything from burgundy to green might work.

What do you all think?

harry.gif

+Quote Post
nome
post Oct 24 2005, 02:29 AM
Post #20

Queen of the Bowling Alley

Group: Betas
Member No.: 8

Anything is fabulous. I'm here! I found it!

All the work you put into this is fantastic, Imogen.

"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." - Mark Twain

Nome's LJ
+Quote Post
hershey
post Oct 24 2005, 03:42 AM
Post #21

Colin and bubbles...imagine the possibilities.

Group: The Mod Squad
Member No.: 1,821

Hello Imogen my dear and everyone else too. Lots of hugs. I fortunately didn't need to find my way here and our dear hostess allowed me the privilege of helping with some set up. Luv the colors, the creme is a bit harsh on the eyes late at night, but then it reminds me I ought to be sleeping. But with running after 4 kiddos, working a bit, keeping house a bit less, readying for Halloween and an upcoming wee one's birthday...conferences, play-dates, sports, scouts, church...my eyes are starting to cross so I best stop before the twitching starts again. Always seems to kick up when I try to wrap my hands around this families schedule! blink.gif

LOL. I'm here and will be whenever I can find a spare moment. Imogen, please let me know what else I can do to help. Gives me a great excuse to escape from the real world. tongue.gif

~Hershey~

PS: The picture turned out fabulous! sorcerer.gif

AKA Molly Weasley minus 3 boys

"I used to be a real wild child, but now I am a Volvo driving soccer mom" - Everclear

(actually I'm more a SUV driving sport of the season mom, but whose checking)

Proud Member of the Red Trio

And say my glory was I had such friends. - William Butler Yeats
+Quote Post
Imogen
post Oct 24 2005, 08:38 AM
Post #22

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

I think the cream is bad because of the contrast with the darkness of the red. Do the fiction pages (still on the original H&G colour scheme) strain your eyes in the same way?

This is a pretty template, but I'm not sure it's IT. Really I don't think I do know what I want. Which is a problem.

Glad you're both still here teehee.gif

+Quote Post
Drie
post Oct 24 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 1,656

I'm here! Would have joined in earlier, but was relaxing on the beaches of San Felipe for a week. Glad to see all that have found this new site. I love it all, Imogen!

My sun shall rise in the east
So shall my heart be at peace

"I think happiness is finding a couple extra fries at the bottom of the bag." - Pig, Pearls Before Swine

Just once, I want to shout, "Bwahahhahahaha!" and really mean it.

"I couldn't decide if I wanted marble fudge, chocolate, rocky road, vanilla or butter pecan...I finally decided to try marble fudge...then I had to choose between a plain cone or a sugar cone...I decided on the sugar cone...so what happened? I went out the door, and dropped the whole thing on the sidewalk! Don't tell me my life isn't a Shakespearean tragedy!" ~ Sally, Charlie Brown's sister

Pictures of You

Bunnies! Everywhere!
+Quote Post
Imogen
post Oct 25 2005, 09:04 AM
Post #24

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

YAY You're here too! This is great!

Our designer wants to know if a group of us are available for an IM chat to get some ideas flowing about what we want. Would Wednesday or Thursday suit anyone?

Makes sense to get something designed that we're all happy with.

teehee.gif

+Quote Post
bart
post Oct 25 2005, 07:01 PM
Post #25

Who me?
Group Icon

Member No.: 62

Weds is no good, I'm off out for tea and don't know what time I'll be home. Thursday is good though.
+Quote Post
hershey
post Oct 25 2005, 07:09 PM
Post #26

Colin and bubbles...imagine the possibilities.

Member No.: 1,821

LOL, figures... Wednesday is better than Thursday in general. Thursday is choked full of appts, running kids to and fro and dance class for Lil Miss. That takes me up to 2pm CST. Though Wednesday am I have bible study too. Oh well, let me know when and I will try and be there.

~H~

AKA Molly Weasley minus 3 boys

"I used to be a real wild child, but now I am a Volvo driving soccer mom" - Everclear

(actually I'm more a SUV driving sport of the season mom, but whose checking)

And say my glory was I had such friends. - William Butler Yeats
+Quote Post
QuickHare
post Oct 25 2005, 10:42 PM
Post #27

Group Icon

Member No.: 2,603

How about someone who will certainly be in a meeting (not necessarily me) take IMs from people for design ideas? I vote for the usualy pale blue motif, but I prefer pastel colours that are pleasing on the eye. And with pastels, many weird colours (like red and green on the same page) actually work. But nothing must be dramatic, except the header and footer.

That's my opinion. Anybody else have ideas? Feel free to completely disagree with my ideas as then something to please all will be decided. This is, of course, your board as much as anyone's, so let's have input.

QuickHare

"To err is human. To completely screw up requires a computer."

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." [Lao-tzu]

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good."
+Quote Post
Imogen
post Oct 25 2005, 11:05 PM
Post #28

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

I'm inclined to agree with you QH. What do you make of the colours on the fiction pages as an openimg gambit. What would you do to those to make them 'perfect'. The storm blue works with the picture, but most other blues don't (trust me, I've tried!), so we'd have to mingle that blue with other colours.

The plus about blue is I like it and it's the colour we've always had. The drawback is that it's the default colour for invision board, so everyone has it in blue!

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Drie
post Oct 26 2005, 04:09 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 1,656

Personally, I'm partial to the burgandy and cream color you've got for the forums, but I'm flexible for whatever you choose! I can't make any promises to be in an IM chat as my boss is being funky lately, so...

My sun shall rise in the east
So shall my heart be at peace

"I think happiness is finding a couple extra fries at the bottom of the bag." - Pig, Pearls Before Swine

Just once, I want to shout, "Bwahahhahahaha!" and really mean it.

"I couldn't decide if I wanted marble fudge, chocolate, rocky road, vanilla or butter pecan...I finally decided to try marble fudge...then I had to choose between a plain cone or a sugar cone...I decided on the sugar cone...so what happened? I went out the door, and dropped the whole thing on the sidewalk! Don't tell me my life isn't a Shakespearean tragedy!" ~ Sally, Charlie Brown's sister

Pictures of You

Bunnies! Everywhere!
+Quote Post
Imogen
post Oct 26 2005, 04:38 PM
Post #30

On a mission with a pen
Group Icon

I think I'd prefer it to be more heavily cream, maybe with burgundy accents? I just keep thinking about what's going to be easy on the eyes. The forums aren't so bad, but the stories do involve a lot of reading, so it's got to be fairly neutral, I think.

Although I do like this colour, I think it's too dark to use with cream. The original of this design had a creamy background like where it says 'Logged in as', but that made the picture look like H and G had really sallow skins.

How about parchment?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topic    Start new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:15 PM